Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
The first 7000 miles, 70 nights - reflections of a newbie: A). Towing Experience

We took delivery in late May of our Flying Cloud 23FB. A few shake down trips locally, then a 50 day, 6,000 mile trip from Toronto to Newfoundland and back. This is what I have learned (so far!) and some reflections that may encourage / inform others contemplating an Airstream and specifically a Flying Cloud 23.

1. The Airstream is a thing of beauty. Iconic, retro to modern eyes, the trailer looks good, and attracts the same kind of attention as I would pay to a gorgeous classic car. Extra cost but it is worth it for that pleasure of contemplating a lovely piece of machinery.
2. It tows really well (behind Expedition Max as TV): once Wd is properly sorted and sway bars creakily engaged this is finger-tip driving.
3. Driving is surprisingly more relaxed than when not towing. In good conditions I keep to 100km/hr (60 mph) even when limits are higher. Not so slow as to cause a nuisance but not so fast I feel concerned about my ability to respond to a sudden incident. I go up to 70mph + if overtaking. On the highway I let stuff pass by, I am not concerned about going faster than speed limits nor am I ducking in and out of lanes to overtake as I would be when not towing. In bad / windy conditions I go slower, about 50-55 mph to the point where things feel stable and predictable even in gusts. Bad road surface is the worst (thinking of Quebec!) and then I may slow down a lot.
4. Let trucks pass efficiently. If I am set on cruise at 100 km’hr and a truck passes at 101 then that makes for a long time alongside. I learned to back speed off 5 km/hr to let it pass quickly and quite often get a flash of lights as a thank you.
5. Hitching up is a matter of practice in getting tow ball under the hitch. I found that if on a level surface I can leave truck in Park and just give it a good shove with my hip if hitch is just a bit off engaging. On a slope it is just more difficult and will take time.
6. Raise the jack more than seems necessary when connecting torsion bars. Once I did not, tried to muscle it and suffered back pain for the next three days. Now if it seems too hard, I hold the lifting bar in place and raise the jack with my other hand till I know from the bar’s angle that it will be easy.
7. Nice feelings of satisfaction:
a) When hearing the torsion wrench click on all the lug nuts of the trailer wheels;
b) When TPMS checks tire pressures are correct while driving.
c) Standing back to admire the waxed finish
d) Seeing clear water when flushing the black tank
8. Non-serviced sites work for us: I booked too many serviced sites, which tend to be busier and more noisy. Non-serviced sites were often quieter, in beautiful locations. We only needed serviced sites maybe every 5th or 6th night. Balancing grey and black tank levels became an art form.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I tend to be a somewhat aggressive driver without the trailer (that's what my wife tells me!) but, like you, I notice I am much calmer when pulling the trailer and hanging out in the slow lane. I still see people doing stupid things but they rarely impact me! :-)

And yes, I will speed up or slow down to "break the bond" with people who seem to not notice that they are driving side-by-side.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote