Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
just heard back from the dealer

For those who asked, the water pump would turn on and run, but mostly air would come out of the faucets. The water tank was 80% full and this is supposed to be a self-priming pump (although few people have suggested otherwise here). Anyway, the problem was the pump itself. They are replacing it within the next two days.
Uncle Milky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Milky,

Since so far as I know the only Airstream dealer in Colorado for many years is Windish, I presume you bought it there. We bought an Airstream from them in 2007 and it was not set up properly. The dealer is supposed to go over the trailer once it is delivered to them. At one time Airstream paid dealers to do that, but I don't know if they do it now. It did not appear a thorough final check was done. When we had issues, and we had a lot of them, they were difficult to work with. They also damaged the trailer by backing another trailer into it. After several bad experiences, we never went back and took the trailer to Jackson Center for warranty work—the shop there was a lot better. We turned the trips to Airstream into part of a travel experience, but not everyone has the time for that. It was 1,400 miles to Airstream one way.

I see some posters seem to attack you. I can understand you being upset at purchasing a so-called "premium" trailer and having problems. We had many over the first years and considered getting rid of it. We kept it for 10 years and put 63,000 miles on it. We had mixed experiences. Certainly it tows easily and looks cool. But, many owners have troubles with them and many do not. The number of threads on this Forum telling about problems (low quality workmanship and materials) are many. Thor Industries, the owner of Airstream, has a reputation of manufacturing mediocre or worse RV's. They have made a lot of money that way.

Some owners claim that all RV's have problems. A lot do and industry standards appear to be about where car manufacturers were a generation or more ago. But there are some better manufacturers out there. Our Nash trailer has had relatively few problems and has better insulation and windows, more space, a power awning, ducted air, a slide and real sofa in it, wider queen bed, is easier to winterize and summerize. It is harder to tow and the more square shape eats more gas. With all that, it is Northwood's cheap model (Arctic Fox is their premium brand). It cost less than half what we paid for our Airstream and I'm sure that Airstream model is a lot more now.

There are Airstream "fanboys" who get upset when someone says not all Airstreams are great. There are also people who have had good experiences and I don't think of them as fanboys, but perhaps luckier than us and others. A fanboy attacks someone for valid questions about awful experiences. That is not fair. A dozen years ago I wrote here that our very expensive trailer was badly prepared and had other problems. Someone said maybe I should sell it and wasn't too happy with my post. Later we became friends and we visited him and his wife a couple of years ago. So some things work out.

On our first trip to Jackson Center, after scores of things had broken, failed or been trouble, somewhere in Kansas, while every day one or two more things broke, my wife, who had so badly wanted this design icon, was crying in the trailer about all the problems and asking if we should sell it. Of course, if anyone makes my wife cry, I want to strangle them (Airstream executives didn't know their lives were in danger), but I told her that we had to see this out, get things fixed at Airstream and if we sold it we would lose a lot because depreciation. We did see it out and kept it. We had to make another trip to JC. We enjoyed the trailer, fixed many things (it does help if you can do that since like you we usually have lived far from dealers of any sort), and after ten years decided we needed a little more space. The fridge had been acting up and since the fridge confounds me, I didn't want to have to spend around a grand on a new one, so we agreed it was time to let it go. We got a very good price for it and bought the Nash for a lot less. So we ended up with another new trailer (and fridge, the Norcold seeming a better one that the Dometic), money back and some nicer things for a lot less. So, Milky hold on. Consider going to JC for repairs, or possibly any other dealer—I guess Albuquerque would be the nearest. An RV shop in Colorado Springs used to sell Airstreams a decade ago (International something) but I can't find them anymore. You can check with Airstream customer relations about going to a non-Airstream dealer (they do authorize that sometimes), but with Windish all over the Front Range, I think that would work.

You live close to Zep, a long time Forum member who has restored a lot of trailers. I can't spell his Forum name, but it is something like Zeppiluminum. Good luck, it can get better. And a good water pump should cost more than $100.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
Thumbs up Thanks, Gene!

There was a lot to love about your whole post, and thanks for taking the time. I got some badly-needed perspective out of it. My favorite part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On our first trip to Jackson Center, after scores of things had broken, failed or been trouble, somewhere in Kansas, while every day one or two more things broke, my wife, who had so badly wanted this design icon, was crying in the trailer about all the problems and asking if we should sell it. Of course, if anyone makes my wife cry, I want to strangle them (Airstream executives didn't know their lives were in danger), but I told her that we had to see this out, get things fixed at Airstream and if we sold it we would lose a lot because depreciation.
My wife badgered me for at least five years because she "needed" an AS. We went to look at them at Windish a few years ago and I was able to talk her off of the ledge back then, but the slick marketing and her need to look cool finally made it unbearable for me and I caved. I'm all-too-familiar with the rage that a crying wife can induce in the middle of a road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
A dozen years ago I wrote here that our very expensive trailer was badly prepared and had other problems. Someone said maybe I should sell it and wasn't too happy with my post
I had someone in this very thread do the same thing. It's funny because it proves another point -- once you sign the paperwork they pretty much have you by the short hairs. I can either give away $10-20k by selling it now, or haul it all over the midwest to get it fixed. It's not as if I can just drop it at Windish and get a full refund. My wife and I both work full time and have school-aged children. If this was my only project I wouldn't mind becoming an expert and fixing a lot of this stuff myself (which I'll still do because I enjoy playing handyman).

One more note. Besides being farther away than I'd like and too busy to get my AS into their shop within a week or two, Windish has been fine so far. I'll know more when I pick the trailer up within the next few days, but I don't mean to trash talk them for things that are beyond their control. Now, if they've backed another trailer into mine then we'll have a problem!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Milky View Post
I can either give away $10-20k by selling it now, or haul it all over the midwest to get it fixed.
We bought our trailer used, so I have no way of knowing what the previous owners went through, but I can say our's has been trouble free. I can also say I've met a number of people with Airstreams camping. Some had minor issues like your water pump, but none yet have told me horror stories or needed to make a trip to Ohio. Not saying it doesn't happen, but so far the statistics point to more people coming online when there is a problem than coming online to say their trailer is just fine and their dealer does them right.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Monument , Colorado
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
We bought our trailer used, so I have no way of knowing what the previous owners went through, but I can say our's has been trouble free. I can also say I've met a number of people with Airstreams camping. Some had minor issues like your water pump, but none yet have told me horror stories or needed to make a trip to Ohio. Not saying it doesn't happen, but so far the statistics point to more people coming online when there is a problem than coming online to say their trailer is just fine and their dealer does them right.
Absolutely. Someone casually reading the forums could definitely get a skewed perspective.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Milky View Post
Absolutely. Someone casually reading the forums could definitely get a skewed perspective.
Not sure I agree. I have been an owner for 6 years now, 6 or so rallies a year, plenty of interaction with other owners. Almost none of those owners post but almost all have had some or all of the usual problems reported on these posts. Some people have been to Jackson Center for repairs, especially during the warranty period, but most have taken their trailer to Out of Doors Mart(highly regarded if you do not mind the wait) or another stellar shop in Raleigh. One member is making a living improving things in Airstreams that the factory should have done right in the beginning.
The fact is, reduced to this simple explanation from me, owners tend to expect a level of quality, because of the price paid, that is not delivered. Some of it is poor design, most of it is poor execution and QC.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Uncle Milky,

We are neighbors as I also live in Monument. If you every need help with your Airstream, send me a PM.

DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Ray B.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948

That quote is usually attributed to Wernher von Braun:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Omn...iz.RioBAGK5rkQ

Maybe he got it from Tex Johnston?
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sorry to hear of your troubles - but -. Over the last 20+ years we have had 3 trailers, including an Airstream, and now have a 2018 Airstream Interstate. None have ever been without various issues and problems when new, and all have, once these were fixed, been very reliable for years. I strongly agree with the comments above, and recommend to you, that before any trip you make sure that everything works properly. This includes pressurizing the water system and inspecting for leaks, ensuring that the sewage macerator (if you have one), works, and that the propane system is full and works properly. And don't forget to check the tire pressures, including the spare! Finally, make sure that when you winterize the trailer, if you do it yourself, make sure that the water pump is dry. On some RVs, draining and blowing down the water system will not get all the water out of the pump so it is necessary to disconnect the lines into and out of the pump to ensure drainage. Good luck in the future!
JohnandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Pineville , Tennessee
Loving the Replies

Yup — the responses to the OP confirm what I’ve been learning for three years now; 95% of the AS owners we’ve met are measured, considered, emotionally mature folks that are a delight to get to know. They rarely shoot from the hip, they tend to keep things in perspective, and they maneuver through challenges with some dignity.

We just left Jackson Center for the third time to get some things tweaked. Love them, and love our 2014 Classic.
TheWoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Sorry about your trouble, Uncle Milky. I kind of had the same problem before my first trip this year in January heading south with my 2016 Flying Cloud. Nothing out of the water pump. Turns out that opening a few faucets (with water in the tank), turning on the pump and then being patient, bingo, all fixed.
While it's unnerving to have these things happen to something you just spent a lot of money on, it is just a faulty component.
Quick story. I just retired from a flying career of 40 years the last 29 or so flying Gulfstreams. I had many a maddening experience on maintenance visits to the factory and factory service centers. Just because an airplane costs $40 million doesn't mean it can't break or have quality control issues. One story I heard from a tech rep. A new owner of a G450 was complaining that no matter what he couldn't get the heat in his little stateroom in the back and he was always freezing cold.
After several visits to maintenance with no fix he was ready to turn it back in he was so pissed. Finally on the last ditch effort to fix it a technician found that the little coffee pot that the owner had installed in the back cabinet was right next to the temperature sensor for the aft stateroom. The boss always had the pot on so the airplane thought it was too hot back there, so the heat wouldn't come on. Move the coffee pot, problem solved!
This occurred during the completion process and interior installation and nobody even gave it a thought.
Same is true with anything. I've had some trouble with my
Airstream, but haven't missed a trip. We love it. Paid a lot, but remember, ANYTHING can break. Stick with it, and I think you'll find that once you get through the growing pains, you'll love it too! It really is a one-of-a kind product!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Como , Colorado
Hey, I hear you. I'm up in Park Co so my commute to the dealer is not fun either and for other's info- there is no place to camp there overnight and test it out. I have a 2018 16ft Sport, bought in March 2018 and despite initial problems, I still love it. before my initial trip I tested what I could. since I live at 10,000 ft I had to leave the lines winterized-so. my 1st trip in April to Wa state I hooked up to water as soon as I was camped at warmer temps and yes, when I opened line to hot water tank it blew water all over the place- got it fixed at Wa dealer when I got there. the frig door came off hinge on initial drive home from the dealer- I fixed it by adding another washer on the door stem. one of the toilet seat rods kept coming out - glued it in permanently. TV bracket stem is too shallow so must bungee cord TV to its bracket. of course the screws all come out of cabinet doors as wood shrinks- wood glue will fix that too. despite my winterizing all line this winter- the boondock water system leaked. dealer repaired it at no cost.Have had other RVs and have friends with RVs and trailers- They all have something wrong. I will stick with AS; it suits me well. However I am disappointed that even paying so much money didn't guarantee me quality.
judithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
There is no excuse for the water pump not working on a new unit, period.
If you had just spent $70K on a new Mercedes and the water pump failed, among other less critical, but no less annoying flaws you discovered on your very first drive, would you find that acceptable, predictable, or normal? Whom would you blame; yourself for not discovering it before taking delivery? And if the dealership told you to bring it back in a month to get fixed?
Well said. For the price, AS products should be just like the most expensive Mercedes in production quality and service support. AS trailers are far less complex.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. As to your displeasure, stuff like that will do it. We have had two 25FB's over the last thirteen years. Have there been some issues? Yes. Have we gone to another brand of travel trailer? No.

We are somewhat experienced with almost 2,000 nights of Airstream camping under our belts. We have learned to fix most issues ourselves. We have found that dealer service departments verge on incompetence at best. When we fix it, it is always done right and to our satisfaction.

As far as a bad water pump goes, you can replace one in less than thirty minutes, and get a better one than came with the trailer. A new water pump is under $100. Just the cost of fuel to get to and from the dealer would be half of that. Plus it would cost you a day or more of your time.

Would it and should it be under warranty? Absolutely. Would taking it to the dealer a month from now be the smart thing to do? Probably not.

Brian
Ditto here.
We are on our third AS and I prefer to fix whatever I can even if it's warranty. Complicated issues I take it JC.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #35

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
I have had wonderful service, 6 years ago I purchased a 16’ Bambi had parents deliver it to ALASKA Marine Highway and I picked it up in Haines AK and my shakedown (shakeup LoL) was home to Kodiak at the time. Once the delight settled I noticed a few bits with sloppy finish I didn’t notice between knee surgery and the purchase. Not a chance for warranty but I found a boat builder willing to help me out, sent extensive photos to Jackson Center and estimate and was reimbursed for what they judged to be a warranty fix. There are ways.... happy trails to all
kateinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #36
Colo.Dave

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2003 25' Safari
Parker , Colorado
Next time you need Airstream help, talk to the folks at Timeless Travel Trailers here in West Denver, 12250 West 52nd Ave., Wheat Ridge, 303-432-3819. They do custom work as well as repairs. Let them know what you need, and talk it over before visiting.
They are busy because they are very good, professional, and stand behind their work.

I wouldn't visit the local dealer except for small parts, as their service is irregular - up and down.
Dingram/Colo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience so far.

My first impressions of my brand new Airstream were frustrating to say the least. The initial quality is poor and the selection of components is budget minded. No one can dispute that.

Here is the thing, the bones are good. I don't think I will ever need to replace my Airstream, just most of the bolt on/in bits.

I truly believe I will have a lifetime of service from my Airstream and I am taking care of its shortfalls gradually. Some was carried out under warranty and others I am taking care of myself (electrics and plumbing really).

Hopefully this story helps you. Good luck and happy camping!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Uncle Milky - start a To Do list and take it to that AS dealer only 60 miles away from you and get everything fixed under your 3-year warranty. It will get better.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New Airstream Owner - not impressed and would not recommend

I’d like to offer some encouragement.

Our 2007 AS has had only self-induced issues so far. Dents, dings and bad batteries were all my fault.

Admittedly we got it from the first owner, after they went on only one trip and traded for a bigger one. No idea what issues they may have had/solved.

Our main factory-related issue was a shredded GYM tire, but I can’t lay all the blame on Airstream for that one. Insurance and a good Airstream dealer solved that one. A dead air conditioner was probably induced by low line voltage from a year full-timing in it. Also fixed by insurance.

I do make improvements and do most of the maintenance myself. Touch wood, it’s been mostly trouble free.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Setting expectations

I was a regular reader of the Air Forums 2 years before buying my Airstream. I evolved from a starry eyed, eager future owner who had read all the marketing material, to a disheartened, doubtful prospect who was about to drop the project after reading all the postings on the poor quality or lack of quality control in JC, the poor dealer service, etc.; and then I progressed to a more realistic better informed, more rational prospect, to finally bite the bullet and become an actual buyer, of a very lightly used and well-kept unit (of the length and model we were looking for) which we appreciate a lot.

I’ve driven cars for decades and I have been driving an E series Mercedes for many years. As much as we would like it, you can’t compare a Merc with an Airstream, no matter how much the marketing folks in JC would like you to believe. The price points are somewhat similar, but the industries are not. It is worth going on the tour of the plant. Lots of fine dedicated folks but we are not talking automated assembly line here. It will be interesting to see how the new 40M$ plant being built a mile away for the TT product line (delivery in 2020) will be set up...

It’s a matter of expectations. My two years of Air Forums reading set my expectations. I expect that things will eventually break or not function properly and I will need to roll up my sleeves and dive into the nitty gritty and find solutions. Needless to say that I never expected to, nor have I had to do this with any of my German or Japanese cars.

Beyond the iconic design and build that was laid out by Wally Byam in 1931 (which is what still attracts buyers to the product) and the furniture, much of what is in an Airstream is third party OEM RV stuff. And that stuff is a reflection of the industry in which it is sold, and it is pretty well the same stuff that is installed in RVs that sell at a fraction of the price of an Airstream. So I expect to replace that stuff over the years; but in the end, it will still be an Airstream (I don’t include the newer models made of fiberglass, or the Basecamp, etc.).

We read that what has happened in the car industry in the 70’s will eventually happen to the RV industry. Maybe, but it has not happened yet, and it may just be that there is no market for it and that customers are sufficiently satisfied with what they have, given how they use their RVs.

So, for better or for worse, that leaves us with the Airstream and its iconic design and history.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote