Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
<……smiling. Deal. Look forward to it.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2001 25' Safari
Chagrin falls , Ohio
2500 ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshortnh View Post
Love our 2018 Classic 30 Twin! The floor plan and outside storage lockers are a huge advantage over the queen. We've had some issues but Pete's RV in VT and the service team here in Jackson Center have been awesome at fixing things.
Are you happy with the 2500 CTD? We have a 2019 30 Classic on the way as well as new 2500 RAM CTD. My Ecodiesel pulled my 2001 Safari 25 just OK and tough through Western range.
Francesca21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"Are you happy with the 2500 CTD? We have a 2019 30 Classic on the way as well as new 2500 RAM CTD. My Ecodiesel pulled my 2001 Safari 25 just OK and tough through Western range."

I traded in my 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500 for a 2018 Ram/Cummins 3500, and, after my first rally with it, am glad I did. In questioning my local Ram dealer about his advice of going from a 2500 to a 3500, his response was, "I've been here a long time and have never known a 3500 owner having any regrets from moving up from a 2500 or wanting to go back to a 2500." I have fallen into that category. I should add that I use my truck just to pull the AS and also for getting stuff from Home Depot. I would certainly think twice (and three and four times) about using it (either a 3500 or a 2500) as a daily driver --- it's a big, heavy, and somewhat awkward piece of machinery.

Recommendation: Get the Ram Boxes. A little pricey but oh, so convenient, especially for trailering. They really work.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #44
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I don’t want this to turn into “what’s the best TV” for the Classic 30 but...smiling....I have the 2017 2500 Lariat with the diesel. I concur, the RAM boxes are worth it. Great for stashing the tools needed for hitching up, everything is so easy to get to. I’m short, 5’3, female, solo so making things easy as possible is #1. I also have the Hensley hitch and have zero sway. Not even a hint. Again, making things easy. I also use my 2500 as my daily driver but I don’t live in an crowded city so it’s not like I have to drive in traffic jams daily anymore...thank goodness, not hard to drive at all. I’ve only had my AS and truck for just under 2 years and love the truck, after the bugs got worked out I now love the AS as well although there was a steep learning curve for me.
When you get your new AS, actually before you get your new Classic, read all about the Alde system. Do a thorough walk through and plan to spend the night on the dealers lot before you head down the road. Use everything, take a shower, turn everything on, then turn it off, repeat.
I was really on the fence about which to get, the 2500 or the 3500. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had gone with the 3500. There isn’t that much of a price difference between the two. The 2500 is fine, no problems but I just wonder if the 3500 would have been a better choice. The only other option I haven’t gotten yet is the truck bed pull drawer thingy, I just recently learned about them. They sure look nice and seems like it would make getting stuff out of the truck bed a lot easier. They do add more weight and that’s the part that make me wonder if the 3500 would have been the better choice.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2001 25' Safari
Chagrin falls , Ohio
Thanks all....too late now for me the 2500 ctd is on the way....I did get the auto level system and have a Pro P coming. This new 30 with all my stuff should be no more that 10k pounds. I have been pulling a 25 Safari for 18 years with various Landcruisers so I certainly hope the 2500 will do OK.....I'll let you all know.....oh! I will use my 2500 as my daily so I really can't do the 3500 anyway
Old 06-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"The only other option I haven’t gotten yet is the truck bed pull drawer thingy, I just recently learned about them. They sure look nice and seems like it would make getting stuff out of the truck bed a lot easier. They do add more weight and that’s the part that make me wonder if the 3500 would have been the better choice."

There is no "right or wrong" here --- only a matter of personal choice.

I've seen a lot of these "truck bed pull drawer thingies," and their owners are quite taken with them. Many of them are used with a truck bed topper:
https://www.4are.com/product/z/
As for me, I would prefer avoiding the topper and using a tonneau cover:
https://www.truxedo.com
Note: Truxedo makes a tonneau cover for use with Ram Boxes --- I have one and they work.
and the problem with using a pull draw thingy with a tonneau cover is that the thingy substantially reduces the usable height of the truck bed. My answer to that is to use a bed step:
https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-.../dp/B0041FXOIA
which of course means that I've got to climb into the truck bed, especially to get at anything placed near the cab. Both the thingy and the bed step alternatives have their respective advantages and disadvantages. It's just a matter of which you'd prefer.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Ordering advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
We have recently sold our 2014 International FB 27 Queen mainly because we really enjoyed several features of the 2018 Classic 30 that we looked at and want to order this Classic in a Twin bed version. We have had great luck with our 2014 and have enjoyed traveling in it.

We have located a couple of 18’s with twins and our interior decor, but one of them had the Alde 3010 system in it. While I have read that the issues are solvable, I think we want the 3020.

The 2019 Classic seems to come with everything, the only things we have seen changed from the 18 are the solar panels (an additional 80 watt panel this year) and agm batteries are std, a 3 year std warranty, built in WiFi, and an app to control the awning, heating system and air from your phone.

Is there anything else that we should be thinking about? Anything that would be done at the factory on special request? Tire size?
Oven vs extra Drawer option?

Thank you for your thoughts

See if there is any way to get a manual awning instead of power. Power awnings problems are rife. They should give you a handsome credit $$$ for manual instead of power. Get the gas oven. Still plenty of storage. If you have ever tried to use the convection portion of the microwave, well, let's just say it's not real good. Good luck with your new Classic. Exciting!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #48
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
R - laughing, thank you for laughing with me, gotta have a sense of humor with all this. I have much to learn. I do have the tonneau cover and have a little step ladder that is stored in the bed. It’s the last item to go in the bed and the first thing to come out. It works.
I used to feel a tad sorry for myself struggling to do this own my own but since have seen many guys having many of the same struggles so now I just keep moving forward and making the best decisions I can with the information available to me at the time.
But getting back to the OP, by just doing a really thorough walk through armed with current information from actual owners, most, not all but MOST issues can be worked out quickly. After that, you’re going to really enjoy your Classic.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #49
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Forget it! Since Thor bought out Air Stream, the quality of workmanship is on scale of 1 to 10 is a 2. I have a 2009, ordered new, ordered in Oregon, and had it into dealer 2 times with one month, and to factory 2 times in less than one year. Final trip to factory resulted in replacement of AC unit completely. Interior workmanship in construction is bad. Sliding doors falling off and screws holding track are loose and only way to repair is pull the refrigerator and wall. Outside steps needed repaired tow times and just return from trip to California and now lost another part off steps. Black water flush broke and is flooding inside of trailer. Filling fresh water take before leaving resulted in water leaking in center closet and flooding floor also.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the Quality of the AS. Previously owned a 1996, 28 Classic and really enjoyed it very much. Quality was 300 percent better than the 30 Classic 2009 model.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Thor was established in 1980. It's initial core division was Airstream. They have since bought a number of other manufacturers to become the largest in the industry. Verified by Wikipedia.
So your 1996 was built by the same division of Thor as your 2009.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Thor was established in 1980. It's initial core division was Airstream. They have since bought a number of other manufacturers to become the largest in the industry. Verified by Wikipedia.
So your 1996 was built by the same division of Thor as your 2009.

The facts are just stubborn things, aren’t they? [emoji23]
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #52
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
We traded the oven for a convection/microwave to gain the drawers. We also upgraded the propane tanks for the larger size. We use the RV to deer and elk hunt in Oregon in winter and additional travels at other times of the year. Enjoy it very much!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just RVing View Post
Forget it! Since Thor bought out Air Stream, the quality of workmanship is on scale of 1 to 10 is a 2. I have a 2009, ordered new, ordered in Oregon, and had it into dealer 2 times with one month, and to factory 2 times in less than one year. Final trip to factory resulted in replacement of AC unit completely. Interior workmanship in construction is bad. Sliding doors falling off and screws holding track are loose and only way to repair is pull the refrigerator and wall. Outside steps needed repaired tow times and just return from trip to California and now lost another part off steps. Black water flush broke and is flooding inside of trailer. Filling fresh water take before leaving resulted in water leaking in center closet and flooding floor also.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the Quality of the AS. Previously owned a 1996, 28 Classic and really enjoyed it very much. Quality was 300 percent better than the 30 Classic 2009 model.

Thor purchased Airstream as actually their first manufacturing business from Beatrice foods. Beatrice actually, in my opinion, kept Airsteam in business during a time they probably as a private entity would have gone OB. The Thor purchase as actually been good for Airstream, the quality or what some consider lack there of really has little to do with Thor as has been mentioned on this thread that purchase took place in 1980. My family had a Beatrice AS a 1972 I believe, an interesting experience I doubt I'd want to go back to.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Thor purchased Airstream as actually their first manufacturing business from Beatrice foods. Beatrice actually, in my opinion, kept Airsteam in business during a time they probably as a private entity would have gone OB. The Thor purchase as actually been good for Airstream, the quality or what some consider lack there of really has little to do with Thor as has been mentioned on this thread that purchase took place in 1980. My family had a Beatrice AS a 1972 I believe, an interesting experience I doubt I'd want to go back to.
Hi

I first started hearing complaints about Airstream quality back in the 1950's. I can't personally say if they went back past that point. The grand parents claim they complaints went further back than that .... Of course this was not on an internet forum back then

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #55
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Thanks for the information. Did not know this.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Updates

Here are the updates for all the trailers including the Classic. I am also looking to go with the 2019 classic 30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_TT_Whats_New_pdf__page_1_of_2_.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	315615  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's interesting that the list does not quite match up with the spec sheets at this point. Welcome to confusion

A couple of things that might be "reverse compatible":

1) The new mattress might / might not fit the older trailers and might / might not make the wife more happy ...

2) The shade on the fantastic fan might fit on the older trailers.

So who's going to check that all out ?

Bob
Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here are the updates for all the trailers including the Classic. I am also looking to go with the 2019 classic 30.
Turk123, well we took the "Gamble" and ordered a new 30 Classic twin.

Probably the one message that is resounding out currently on the forums, seems to be the quality control challenges. Hoping we get a good one, but have mentally prepared ourselves for the high possibility that we will be chasing Gremlins once we take delivery😁. But that seems to be the case with all brands!

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best 😁

With the 2014 Stream gone, we are camper free currently,
Expecting to pick ours up this fall.

Good luck in your shopping decisions and purchasing process.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2001 25' Safari
Chagrin falls , Ohio
Neil:

I am awaiting my new 2019 Classic 30 and will be off grid most of the time. Did you try using your rig with a small honda to keep powered up or did you just go with the lithium from the get go. And do you use a gen at all now with the Lithium thanks MEC
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca21 View Post
Neil:

I am awaiting my new 2019 Classic 30 and will be off grid most of the time. Did you try using your rig with a small honda to keep powered up or did you just go with the lithium from the get go. And do you use a gen at all now with the Lithium thanks MEC
Hi

We have a small Yamaha (2.2KW) and a larger Honda (3KW). The 3KW is the backup power for the house. It simply is to big to get into the truck when loading without some sort of crane arrangement. It also does not fit under the bed cover on the truck. The 2KW barely fits and is much easier to load.

Both are quiet when running. The gotcha is that a campsite in the woods is *very* quiet. Sitting out listening to the birds is much more pleasant than even a quiet generator. If it bugs me / I notice it, it likely is noticed by the neighbors as well.

If you keep the generator in the truck, it gets unhooked / hooked up every time the truck moves. Running the generator under the cover .... not a good idea. Now you have the cover sitting open all the time you are in camp. Generator out of the truck is fine. It's a *very* tempting target for the less honest among us. I've never had one stolen. I also don't leave them lying around. Generator into truck / out of truck each time you go somewhere is (to me) the worst of all the combinations.

Both generators will charge batteries. Running either one for 12 hours to get lead acids back to "full" is a bit of a pain (and it uses a lot of fuel). Running for 3 hours for lithiums is a bit more rational. The big one will run a stock AC unit. Again, you are back to run time and fuel. If it's evening / night quiet hours get into the mix.

So, yes, if it is vital to have power, the generator is a great thing. In a off grid site with very little sun, it is your only practical way to go. Getting to the "run both AC units 24 hours a day" point .. that's a big generator and a lot of fuel.

For what we do (week here / two weeks there / three days here ... move on ... move on) there is always a mix. Having enough battery to go for four days (zero sun) to much longer (full sun) makes more sense. If it's "hot season" (= to hot at night to sleep) we either find shore power or move to a higher elevation.

Bob