Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Hacking the CZone

So I finally broke down and decided to reprogram the CZone. We have the 30' Classic (2019) and the cinema mode is basically unused. In addition, I'm not sure why the reading lights (front and back) are turned off when you enter night mode. It's not uncommon for someone to remain up and reading while the others have gone to sleep.

I decided to modify the modes so that only the "Away" mode turns off the reading lights. All other times, the lights will be on and people can just turn them off at the light when they are done.

In addition, I modified the "Cinema" mode to more of just an evening mode. Rather than have the room lights on and dimmed, I just turn both accent lights on (dimmed) and leave the switch backgrounds lit up. That works much better for us.

Also, I noticed that when in "On-board" with marginal batteries, lots of alarms can be thrown because the lighting, despite being all LED, can still place a pretty good load on marginal batteries. I think I'll add a bunch of lights to the load shedding so that they can be turned off automatically.

I think the next project will be to add an alarm system. I've been playing around with Dewalt's mobil lock and have not been very satisfied. I think I'll add a module to the 24hr powered zone and program it as an alarm with sensors.

So far, I haven't had to really hack anything yet and have not affect any operations of the factory system. That may change though because I really need access to the network interfaces to send alarm notifications.

I'll keep the board updated. Do date, placing everything back in default factory status is pretty easy, but the Wireless modes may negate part of that. I haven't yet played with that part.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Inquiring minds would like to know how the reprogramming is done! Cinema mode is a good one to act as the guinea pig as it is useless in my trailer.

So how is this done?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Inquiring minds would like to know how the reprogramming is done! Cinema mode is a good one to act as the guinea pig as it is useless in my trailer.

So how is this done?
You need to get an account on https://downloads.czone.net. There is no charge, but you do have to give information to gain access. They have some training slides online that help with familiarizing yourself with the system as well as the manuals for all of the modules.

In particular, for the basic programing, you will need these from the manual section:

CZone COI Manual
CZone Configuration Tool Instructions (R14.2)

And you will need the CZone Configuration Tool from the Configuration Tools section.

The COI gives instructions on how to download and upload configurations. Slow and Easy is the name of the game because it can be complex for those not used to programing logic tools.

Words of wisdom:

1) When you download the factory configuration the first time, make sure you make a backup of it so that you can set it back to that if need be.

2) You cannot program the COI unless your USB stick also has an existing backup configuration that exactly matches the one that is currently running in the COI. That is insurance that you don't screw things up. If in doubt, always download the current config and work with it after making a hard backup of it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Will factory updates wipe out your work?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Will factory updates wipe out your work?
As far as I know, cZone cannot be updated remotely. However, if the factory updates the programming when you bring it into the shop, you can always reload your config. You can also look at the new factory config and see if there is anything you need to incorporate into your own config.

I suspect that there will be no programming updates because the factory is already producing 2020 models and is probably working on the design of 2021 and beyond as we speak.

Firmware updates, which are brought out by CZone/Mastervolt do not affect your own programming and these are the updates likely to be installed by Airstream or it's dealers.

However, that said, the CZone product is a mature product so I doubt there will be much updating of it. As far as I can tell, the only updates CZone has brought out has been to support new hardware.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
That's great information. Now we need to be able to write code for the iOS app. Something simple like being able to control all of the shades on curbside or roadside as a group, or individual shades like the Czone itself.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is one of the pages in the manual called "Mode Guru". That's probably all we need to configure new or existing modes.

I'm pretty sure it would be nice to take a little class to learn the system and it probably is offered by Czone. This is not for the faint of heart. A very complex system with incredible control capability. It's not that it is that hard to follow, just that its complexity could result in unknown errors that we are not trained in. You can always fall back on the original backup file you create in the beginning, but not knowing all the idiosyncrasies of the system, you could get yourself into trouble. How many times have you heard that "Well, the manual says that, but it doesn't really work like that, you have to do this first for that to work properly " That's when you get yourself into trouble.

But this is very interesting and probably could answer one of the most asked questions of the Airstream czone system, "How can I change the modes in the Czone system?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Configuration_Tool.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	348517  

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Added note: I called Czone on another matter many months ago and in our conversation, Czone said we have nothing to do with the mode programming. That was all programmed by Airstream.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I'm about ready to take the plunge on more changes. I've been very frustrated with the ios app. It functions just fine when on a local connection, but does not function about 90% of the time on a remote connection. I continually get the error that the trailer is offline, even when I'm sitting in it, but have the wifi on my phone turned off so it is using an LTE connection.

The WiFi interface that is already installed in the trailer is capable of using 5 devices as remotes. The ios app that Airstream uses apparently only allows one. If I can't figure out the problem with the default ios app soon, I'm just going to go ahead and own the whole system by reprogramming it.

For true remote operation, CZone has a telematics partner called sentinel which will duplicate the functions of the ios app. It's $700 dollars with a $20/month fee and it also duplicates the closed sections of the router as well. While an extra expense, it also provides the security system I want on the trailer with geofencing and intrusion detection.

What's holding me back right now is that I can't find two devices that are on the network. There is a second "Contact 6" that is on the 24 hr circuit and something called "WI (buddy)". Those are probably the extra two power wires I posted about a couple of months ago that split off of the key switch fuse box in the left front speaker cabinet. When I find where those devices are, I think I'll move on taking full control of the system.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I'm about ready to take the plunge on more changes. I've been very frustrated with the ios app. It functions just fine when on a local connection, but does not function about 90% of the time on a remote connection. I continually get the error that the trailer is offline, even when I'm sitting in it, but have the wifi on my phone turned off so it is using an LTE connection.
I believe mine operates as yours does. It does not like the cell connection when I am in the trailer. If I am away from the trailer, it works perfectly! Not sure what is going on here.

After reading some of the manuals that Czone provides (and there are a lot!) what a wonderful graphically edition of the Airstream control system could be built. Ipad graphical interfaces, iPhone interfaces with multiple pages and color. Floor plan jpg that you could actually touch a location for a light to come on or off. New custom modes. This could be a lucrative business for the right person! I believe Airstream would be very interested in a well thought out interface with pages of info and control. I am amazed at the complexity of the Czone system. That is why they are used in multi-million dollar yachts.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post

What's holding me back right now is that I can't find two devices that are on the network. There is a second "Contact 6" that is on the 24 hr circuit and something called "WI (buddy)". Those are probably the extra two power wires I posted about a couple of months ago that split off of the key switch fuse box in the left front speaker cabinet. When I find where those devices are, I think I'll move on taking full control of the system.
Our czone system does not have a wireless mastervolt device I don't believe. The manuals refer to a "WI" as the wireless interface. Could the LED panel be wireless? I know the czone system plugs into one of the Peplink ethernet ports for outside connection. It certainly is not using the local WiFi for any control to devices inside the trailer.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Our czone system does not have a wireless mastervolt device I don't believe. The manuals refer to a "WI" as the wireless interface. Could the LED panel be wireless? I know the czone system plugs into one of the Peplink ethernet ports for outside connection. It certainly is not using the local WiFi for any control to devices inside the trailer.
Hi

..... but can you *add* the magic wireless device?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

..... but can you *add* the magic wireless device?

Bob
Yes.

I think what Ephraim is trying to do is track down all the devices that are reported on the panel. The LED panel shows each device and the computer address. You don't want to leave one out or the engine won't start in the Airstream!

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Yes.

I think what Ephraim is trying to do is track down all the devices that are reported on the panel. The LED panel shows each device and the computer address. You don't want to leave one out or the engine won't start in the Airstream!
The 24hr Contact 6 is in the front right speaker cabinet. I still haven't found the WI (Buddy) module, but it would appear that the only place it is used is for the power awning. I don't need to change that so I'm probably good just keeping its programming "As Is".

Note that if you do this, the programming is "king" regardless of what the components are labeled. I've noticed significant differences in what is physically labled on the COI and what the programming says is there. The correct options is what the programming says.

I'm probably going to go through and correct these differences. I suspect the mislables are due to the differences between the 30' and the 33' models. The new 2020 models may compound the problem, but I haven't looked at one of those yet.

You can do basic reprogramming using the USB method outlined in the manuals, but to do significant changes, especially if you mess with the wireless parts, you're probably going to want the USB can bus adaptor (~$500).

I'm contacting a supplier over the Telematics solution on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted on it.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
My 2019 lists 3 Wireless devices:

WI (Buddy)
Wireless Interface (CZone)
Wireless Interface (Touch 5)

I don't think Airstream is using the wireless functions of the Touch 5. I believe they just use it as a touchscreen for controlling the system.

The Wireless Interface (CZone) is the turquoise box in the front left speaker compartment. Mine has the "Mastervolt" label but it is identical to the CZone device in the manuals. (Mastervolt owns CZone and BEP. I've seen CZone devices with all three labels on them and they carry the same part numbers.) This is the device that Airstream uses to connect to the BR1 mini router. They don't use the Wireless part of it - only the networking part. But it acts as a server for those pretty iPad screens that you see on the CZone site. This is the device that I will be programming next.

I still don't know where the WI (Buddy) device is, but it has something to do with the Awning. I'll track it down this weekend. I don't think anything needs to be done with this device anyways (unless you end up yanking the ZipDee awning which I have no plans to do.)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I will be picking up my Airstream tomorrow. I don't believe I have the wireless blue device at the rear left speaker. I have an ethernet line running to the Peplink though from the czone.

The awning interface is in on or in the floor under the sink. There is a complex relationship between the awning, tow vehicle 7 pin connector, and a lockout for the awning when the 7-pin connector has power. It also is hooked (either wire or through the network) to the entry panel to "unlock" the awning after you disconnect the 7 pin connector.

I will be at the mother ship tomorrow around 1:00 pm and can ask any questions you have. PM any issues with this. I will be staying overnight. I can ask about the czone error codes as mine has that one right now.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
I will be picking up my Airstream tomorrow. I don't believe I have the wireless blue device at the rear left speaker. I have an ethernet line running to the Peplink though from the czone.

The awning interface is in on or in the floor under the sink. There is a complex relationship between the awning, tow vehicle 7 pin connector, and a lockout for the awning when the 7-pin connector has power. It also is hooked (either wire or through the network) to the entry panel to "unlock" the awning after you disconnect the 7 pin connector.

I will be at the mother ship tomorrow around 1:00 pm and can ask any questions you have. PM any issues with this. I will be staying overnight. I can ask about the czone error codes as mine has that one right now.
"Front Left" - right behind the panel that you tapped into for your 2nd router.

And you must have it somewhere because that is how the peplink talks to the CZone.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Wireless Interface should be in the cabinet next to wherever you have your PepWave box. In my 33 that is in the cabinet over the bed on the roadside. Basically behind the speaker. This is on the NEMA bus with an ethernet cable to your cell/router.

Airstream has a nice document, at least for the 2020 Classic 33, titled CZone Components and Locations Guide - 33’ Classic. Great photos, total layout, and map of where everything is located with a complete list of the components. Very helpful in my trouble shooting.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Yep, mine has it. I'm in my trailer right now at JC. The other speaker cabinet on the other side also has a switch or something from Czone. They were buttoning things up and I did not have time to get a look at it.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Wireless Interface should be in the cabinet next to wherever you have your PepWave box. In my 33 that is in the cabinet over the bed on the roadside. Basically behind the speaker. This is on the NEMA bus with an ethernet cable to your cell/router.

Airstream has a nice document, at least for the 2020 Classic 33, titled CZone Components and Locations Guide - 33’ Classic. Great photos, total layout, and map of where everything is located with a complete list of the components. Very helpful in my trouble shooting.
I haven't seen such a document for the 2019 30". That sure would be nice. Does your document show where the "WI (Buddy)" device is?