Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Clear-Bra Paint Protection Film for Segment Protectors and Solar Guards.

Has anyone reading this installed clear paint protection film, i.e. Clear-Bra on the front L&R side stainless Segment Protectors as well as the 3-Solar Guards mounted in front of the window glass at the front of their Classic (or other Airstream model)?.

I just purchased a complete new and complete set of the Airstream (OEM) 2 stainless Segment Protectors and 3-solar guards for a pre-owned Classic I purchased and am considering having them covered with clear-bra before installing them to further protect them against rock chips, road debris and bugs.

If yes, please share your experience, i.e Pros/Cons.
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The Sport models used something similar.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I don’t have it. What are you trying to accomplish? All of those pieces are meant to be replaceable. Once mine are done, I’ll shell out the money to get new ones. Just my .02

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

17yrs with just a little WD40 once in awhile...

Bob
🇺🇸

Now and Then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2c3f.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	361105   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_12db.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	361106  

Old 02-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I don’t have it. What are you trying to accomplish? All of those pieces are meant to be replaceable. Once mine are done, I’ll shell out the money to get new ones. Just my .02
Extend the life of them. The set(s) I am replacing are the original's of which were seriously and severely peppered & scratched up (most likely due to a frontier trip to AK from the Lower 48 by its previous owner).

At a cost of $4k for the complete set(s), my thinking is that some clear PPF will afford added protection and prevent scratches particularly on the soft plexiglass solar guard pane(s).
Old 02-15-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Rewllia
I put clear protective bra on my rock guards. Purchased the material (the name escapes me now but I don’t think it was the 3M product) from the installer who applied it to my RAM 2500. I did it myself and I have been very happy with it. Installation was easy and it provides excellent protection on both the Airstream as well as the truck. Highly recommended. I can post pictures if you like. The protective film does not cover the entire rock guard but stops shortly after the curved portion.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Blockachip.com is where I purchased the material. $120 for enough to do both guards. Albert, who is the owner did my RAM. Nice guy and very knowledgeable on all the latest films/products and willing to share his knowledge. He travels around (Oh, PA area) in a mobile unit. I have had two vehicles with the film, which Albert installed. SFSG.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
The film used was Xpel Ultimate Film and carries a 10 year warranty. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	361140
Old 02-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
To late

I was to cheap passed on the rock tamers and my one month old rock guards are trashed. I now have rock tamers on the hitch.

To me clear bra on the rock shields is like putting Saranwrap on my floormats. With the heat generated on a sunny hot day off the upper aluminum panels I would wonder if it would yellow and become brittle.

Both my upper panels took stone shots. First trip out
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Like the WD-40 tip. Your unit looks great for 17 yrs
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
I was to cheap passed on the rock tamers and my one month old rock guards are trashed. I now have rock tamers on the hitch.

To me clear bra on the rock shields is like putting Saranwrap on my floormats. With the heat generated on a sunny hot day off the upper aluminum panels I would wonder if it would yellow and become brittle.

Both my upper panels took stone shots. First trip out
I had a similar product installed on the front of my 2008 Lexus when I bought it new. It was not a cheap add-on, and it was dealer installed, but after 12 years and 104k miles it looks great and no stone chips. I just replaced a stone guard on my street side 1990 Excella and at the price some of you are talking about for the protective film, I may put them on my stone guards. A stone guard replaced is about $2,000 each. I have had Rock Tamers since about 2009 and they are fantastic. Had to modify mine when I moved them to my 2016 GMC Diesel so the exhaust wouldn't burn a hole in the rubber. Put in a sheet metal baffle hinged at the top just in front of the rubber. Works great.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Life is a highway

That is why there is a ten year warranty. I also had the 3M product on a 2010 GMC Yukon XL 100K+ and no yellowing or cracking. Very durable product. I believe what I have on the AS is better than the 3M. I don’t have Saran Wrap on my floor mats but I did replace my factor mats with weather tech mats. I think you can use things but still take care of them. I guess that’s why we have all the colors of the rainbow and $120 for protective film beats having to buy new stone guards.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
yep

I have Weathertech' floor mats, and even the truck bed has a bed rug LOL. I use WD-40 on the shields or sometimes a can of stainless steel cleaner.

Ive seen a vehicle with the carpet protected by Weathertech liners and then the factory carpet floor matt on top of the weather tech and then bath towles on top of the floor mats to absorb the salt snow mud and slush. I’m serious that owner was lucky it all did get stuck under the brake or gas pedal.

I get it, Clear Bra is on my truck headlights and now the mirror caps. I'm not sure it would stop the deep dents from the flying stones off the F-250 Tires. I had a thread on this, the weather tech mud flaps did not work. So now I have Rock tamers to stop the failed mud flaps. Wish my dealer had suggested the clear. I was mislead was told it would destroy the clear coat on the trailer and void warranty.

I'm just happy for all on this forum that told me to look into the rock tamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Life is a highway

That is why there is a ten year warranty. I also had the 3M product on a 2010 GMC Yukon XL 100K+ and no yellowing or cracking. Very durable product. I believe what I have on the AS is better than the 3M. I don’t have Saran Wrap on my floor mats but I did replace my factor mats with weather tech mats. I think you can use things but still take care of them. I guess that’s why we have all the colors of the rainbow and $120 for protective film beats having to buy new stone guards.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 AM   #14
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
[emoji1303]
Old 02-17-2020, 02:15 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Rewllia
I put clear protective bra on my rock guards. Purchased the material (the name escapes me now but I don’t think it was the 3M product) from the installer who applied it to my RAM 2500. I did it myself and I have been very happy with it. Installation was easy and it provides excellent protection on both the Airstream as well as the truck. Highly recommended. I can post pictures if you like. The protective film does not cover the entire rock guard but stops shortly after the curved portion.
Thanks. I too have XPEL PPF on the entire front of my TV (full hood, full fenders, grille,headlamps, painted front bumper, mirror caps, A Pillars, B Pillars and lower side door and bed panels from about 12" up from the bottom), as well as on my other automobiles and have 0-xero paint chips.

I asked about applying it to the AS's segment guards and solar plexiglass window shields only more so to question the adhesion to the brushed stainless segment panels but since realizing they too are clear coated then I'm confident the PPF will adhere to them and aid in protecting. I also have a Rock Tamer bar on the hitch as well.

Ordered the PPF material last night and will be installing it myself.

Thanks to everyone for their respective inputs.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
The film used was Xpel Ultimate Film and carries a 10 year warranty. Attachment 361140
JDG, Thanks for the photo.

Is there any particular reason you cut away from the attachment bolt/nut at the top line? Seems to me you could have removed the nut to maintain a seamless coverage.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #17
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Yes your idea would be better. Remove the nut and cut a hole over the bolt. I should have. I did not have enough film to cover the entire guard and I just wanted to get it around the curved part. Wanted to get the edge straight around the curved part. So that is what I was concerned with and just cut around the nut. I overlapped on the side of the guards and trimmed the excess with an Xacto knife along the side molding on the guard. Use water with a few drops of baby shampoo to be able to place the film where you want it. I applied it on a fairly warm day and had many small bubbles but they all disappeared within a day. Best of luck.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
XPEL Ultimate PPF delivered along with XPEL Installation Gel today.

Plan to do the install tomorrow (application of PPF on all front (3) plexiglass solar guards and (2) stainless segment shields). Will be installing on the 5-new shields out of the boxes and will try to post some before and after photos.

Measurements = 30" wide x 19.7' linear feet. $550.00 including installation gel and a set of their application squeegees. Quote obtained from a XPEL installer was $1,200 (mtrls. & labor).
Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
I have asked the question to my installer of that film on my truck. Since my Airstream was already 2yrs old , it would be do-able but I would have to clean the front very well. Can’t remember if he said I could put it on the sun guards I think yes. He mentioned that my rock guards having had WD40 clean up shine treatment would make things difficult because the WD40 penetrates in the aluminium it would make the adherence of the film more difficult. If it was to do over again I would definitely do it when new, to protect from calcium an rocks and easier cleaning since my shoulders hurt very. But then again adding a film is yet another thing to care for and be disappointed when it marks or spot lift from a rock or something very hot! Maybe it would help the sun guard not to crack from a good rock blow. Plus those sun guards are so easily scratched, yes I would protect them just to be at peace more,. Yes all that is replaceable if you choose not to protect but it’s costly, lots of problem to go to a reputable dealer, pro workers are hard to find these days !! Doing my best here to write, English is not my language. Bon Voyage!!
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Rock Tamers....Rock Tamers, yep that's the way to go.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote