Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2022, 07:25 AM   #1

Pensacola , Florida
1962 Airstream Southern Pacific Railway 36 - Texas

1962 Airstream Airstream Southern Pacific RR

I hate posting this ad.

This airstream corporate custom made for Southern Pacific Railways in 1962 has been like my white whale. But Covid kicked my ass pretty hard and I am not going to get to it anytime soon.

Not a production model airstream. This is one of the very few remaining corporate custom trailers made for Pacific Railways. this ole girl was berthed on the Southern Pacific. First off, she is 36 ft. Longer than any production Airstream model. These campers did duty on flat pack rail cars the track maintenance workers would live in them while working. The interior is set up as two separate apartments. Much larger ground clearance. I excavated it and replaced all rims and tires. One hub is still frozen so it will have to be repaired before moving or put on lowboy. Was bought from estate of a dead NASA engineer. Is also kind of a mini storage loot box. Full of Estate sale stuff. Last renovated Airstream Rail car sold at auction for 218,000 in 2012. 7500 obo. Make offer. Has to move ASAP.

I wish I had better pictures of it, but when I last left it I had every intention of bringing it back to my shop in New Orleans to overhaul it. The interior skin is in incredible condition, painted white. The interior is essentially just a mini storage unit. When I purchased the trailer from the estate it came with all of this stuff in it. Furniture, antiques, books, knick nacks. And all of that is still there and comes with this sale. The exterior skin has some moss on it and some issues but is essentialy in serviceable condition. Weird feature of these units is the end caps are fiberglass and both have tears in them. But, both are clean cuts and easily repairable. And fiberglass is much easier and cheaper to repair than aircraft sheet aluminum. Stewart Semple makes a paint called Mirror that I have had a lot of luck with using to match non aluminum surfaces to mirror polished aluminum. The frame is in usable condition and the only real issue around it is a sagging subfloor near the front where the door was off it s hinges and not sealed up. But structurally she s in great shape as a shell for reno. This trailer belonged to an engineer from NASA who owned it ever since it was taken out of service in the 60s. I discovered it on his farm after this passing, in Pasadena Texas less than 5 miles from NASA headquarters Houston we have a problem . It has previously been registered in Texas but did not meet the requirements for it to need titling. So it has never been titled outside of the utility. I have notarized bills of sale from the estate purchase and copies of the actual estate document to support provenance. It is eligible for a normal non bonded title in Texas with the paper trail of documents.

I can talk for hours about this camper. Happy to answer anything at all about it. I really wanted to completely refurbish this one. But pneumonia and congested heart failure caused by Covid last month and my existing work yard in New Orleans being already full of trailers and RVs ahead of it for renovating, I m going to have to let her go. I just don t have time or ability to pull it back from the Houston area. If you have been looking for a unique piece of airstream history to redo and make your own this is the one. I will be happy to consult on overhauling plans at no charge, just to keep my hand on the project. I have it listed for 7500, but it really needs to be moved ASAP. So make me an offer. I m willing to listen.

And a final Hail Mary is if anyone has the equipment an ability to low boy or some such and ferry it to me in New Orleans, I would be happy to trade you a different traile For the trip. Or renovate your existing vintage camper or cut a great deal for you on one of my other airstreams. But my guess is that is a long shot request.

I am willing to OWNER FINANCE to the right party

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - 1962 Airstream Southern Pacific Railway 36 - Texas

WeirdStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

Pensacola , Florida
I forgot to mention I have verified it’s history with Airstream's historian. It was 13 of 14 of this class of trailer ever built and only 3 of them are known to still exist. (Including this one)
WeirdStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I hate to contradict you, but there were way more than 13 or 14 of the Mobile Industrial trailers of this style built by Airstream between 1961 and 1964. Actual total was nearly 200 total in various lengths from 27' to 40', though most are 32' and 36'. Yours appears to be serial number 36-MI-159 on the oval badge, if I read it correctly, which would make it the 59th 36' built and next to last 1962 36' model built. It was built in July 1962. Mobile Industrial trailers are rare, I am aware of less than a half dozen that have been posted on AirForums, though I am sure there are a few more waiting in the weeds to be rediscovered.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote