Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Washing Dishes in Round Sink

We are transitioning from a two sink to a one sink kitchen. Since we have never washed and rinsed dishes in a single sink, we're hoping for advice. What is your technique?
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
One sink load at a time. Wash, drain, and rinse.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I was thinking same. My 2010 Flying Cloud has the single round sink.

I haven't even had my shakedown cruise yet, so haven't washed dishes, tried-out shower etc., but was looking at the sink. It is very deep, so I will only fill it with water at just below the half-way mark, do a few dishes at a time, then rinse under the tap. If the rising water gets too close to the top, drain and start over.

Or, you could buy a small tub as a rinse tub. I don't think this is as effective in getting all the soap off, though.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Try washing dishes in a Bambi! We use a soap/sponge thing and soap and then rinse without filling the sink. We have 2 plastic tubs do do dishes outside when we don't have a sewer hook up (which is often) so we don't fill up the grey tank. You adapt pretty fast.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Right on, mitch. It is all about adapting.

The 27' Cloud has a bit more counter space than most, so the tub beside the sink would work. After I posted my last, I realized some 'streams have little to no space between sink and range.

I like the idea of doing the dishes outside....especially if one is surrounded by scenic wonder.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #6

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night
Right on, mitch. It is all about adapting.

The 27' Cloud has a bit more counter space than most, so the tub beside the sink would work. After I posted my last, I realized some 'streams have little to no space between sink and range.

I like the idea of doing the dishes outside....especially if one is surrounded by scenic wonder.
Lots of people pay big money for an outdoor kitchen! Mine cost @ $84 bucks, $80 grill and $2 a tub.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
When connected to utilities, we use a running water technique. Just a small trickle from for the faucet, and one of those dish-washing scrubbers on the end of a handle which contains detergent. When on limited water, we start with a small amount of water in the sink, then wash and rinse as we go.

Of course, there is only two of us so not many dishes at a time.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
We would use a plastic (they make some cool collapsible ones) tub, but that was one of selling points for us to purchase the 28' versus a 27' when we were looking to buy. The double sink just makes more sense to us, though the round sink is pretty.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Try washing dishes in a Bambi! We use a soap/sponge thing and soap and then rinse without filling the sink. We have 2 plastic tubs do do dishes outside when we don't have a sewer hook up (which is often) so we don't fill up the grey tank. You adapt pretty fast.
We followed a different route with our 2002 Bambi, and it might be a useful method for the transition to a single sink. In about 2003, we installed a fairly large oval sink, one large enough to accept a pile of regular plates or a frying pan. With about 2" of soapy water in the sink, we can rinse above it without any danger of it getting too full. A drip board to the side completes the setup.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had the round sink on my first one, and the double sink on the current one. The double sinks are small and shallow and anything bigger than a saucer seems to create splashes on the wall, counter and floor. There's a lot less wipe up after with a single deep round sink. I agree an inch or so of water in the bottom of the sink and a soapy scrubby or soap dispensing scrubber work wonderfully.

Another advantage to the single sink is that there is less under the counter plumbing, so you get more storage space in the cabinet. Zeppelinium also made a great point for remodelers: even if you get a rectangular sink look for one with a corner drain or a drain offset toward the back of the sink. Reason? Drain doesn't take up the MIDDLE of the lower cabinet but is off to one side. Where every inch of storage space is precious that is one PRACTICAL and inexpensive change!

Paula
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.

We followed a different route with our 2002 Bambi, and it might be a useful method for the transition to a single sink. In about 2003, we installed a fairly large oval sink, one large enough to accept a pile of regular plates or a frying pan. With about 2" of soapy water in the sink, we can rinse above it without any danger of it getting too full. A drip board to the side completes the setup.

Tim
Do you have a picture?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
we use a bucket that fits most of the sink. After use, I pick it out by the handle and water the landscape.
Airstreamer@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We use a round plastic tub as a dishpan---often found at WalMart come summer---and a sponge/soap/wand for most things. Get a little hot water in the bottom, wash everything clean, rinse and drain on the counter on one of those microfiber absorbent pads----works great.

If we are boondocking, we dump the dishwater into the toilet, to conserve grey water space.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
simple dishwashing

I briefly rinse the dishes to remove gunk. Then I heat a cup or two of water, put it in a bowl or small pan from dinner and add a small squirt of dishwashing detergent. I wash however many dishes I can array around the detergent bow in our big round sink, then turn on cold water to rinse them individually, turn the water off, and stack them to dry on a dishcloth atop the stove cover. Wash and repeat.

Debbie doesn't like to stack the dishes to dry, she has a handy-dandy folding dish drain she puts atop the stove cover and she is expert at arraying all the dripping dishes on it. Works a little better than my lazier (easier) drying mode.

We can't imagine working with less than the big round sink -- one of our favorite galley features in our CCD 22 and in this CCD 25. The sink is good at everything we need it for.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Do you have a picture?
I thought that question might come up. I posted some pictures at the time we did the modification, but that was years ago. You can see from the pictures that we also gave ourselves a little more counter space. It is amazing what a difference that made.

Tim

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We use a black circular "oil drain" pan from the local auto parts supplier. Fits well in the circular bottom and is only about 4" deep. Therefore, you can't put too much water in it before it overflows. When possible, we then empty it outside.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
I thought that question might come up. I posted some pictures ............
BTW, that sure looks beautiful.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
I've been loving my CCD single round sink.
I wipe off the dirty dishes with a paper towel starting with the cleanest to the dirty big pot last. Putting the big pot into the round sink - it fits!! Then a bit of hot soapy water in the big pot will get the smallest dishes washed. Rinsing in a trickle of hot water, the extra water will help clean up the big dishes, and finally the pot.

As we boondock alot for days at a time, we are very water frugal. When I get home, any running water makes me feel wasteful!

With our 1955 Flying Cloud, the sink is rectangular and much smaller than my big pasta/chili/casserole pot - Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plattsburgh NY 2010-09-24 016 compressed forums.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	127041  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We are in a 19' Bambi so there is virtually no counter space except for the table. When we wash dishes we clean the stove first, then close the cover over the burners...then we use a piece of flexible rubbery shelf lining material over the stove top (it's sorta like thin foam rubber, but with a smooth surface that doesn't absorb water), draping one end of it over the sink's edge so any stray water goes into the sink..its' sort of a low-tech dish drainer tray (you could actually use a small drainer tray with a lip positioned to splill into the sink)...then we wash dishes in the dish tub and place them in the sink for rinsing with the sprayer. We put the clean, rinsed dishes on a towel on the table, dry them and put them away. We can then either dump the wash water on a needy bush outside or down the drain. We dry out the wash tub,dry off the rubbery shelf liner, roll it up and stash it somewhere. Dishes done!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We are in a 19' Bambi so there is virtually no counter space except for the table. When we wash dishes we clean the stove first, then close the cover over the burners...then we use a piece of flexible rubbery shelf lining material over the stove top (it's sorta like thin foam rubber, but with a smooth surface that doesn't absorb water), draping one end of it over the sink's edge so any stray water goes into the sink..its' sort of a low-tech dish drainer tray (you could actually use a small drainer tray with a lip positioned to splill into the sink)...then we wash dishes in the dish tub and place them in the sink for rinsing with the sprayer. We put the clean, rinsed dishes on a towel on the table, dry them and put them away. We can then either dump the wash water on a needy bush outside or down the drain. We dry out the wash tub,dry off the rubbery shelf liner, roll it up and stash it somewhere. Dishes done!
We, too, have very limited counter space in our galley kitchen, but found a very cool and reasonably priced 2-burner cover at one of those Kitchen Collection stores in the outlet malls. They come in several colors.

It is glass, looks like grey-black marble that goes nicely with the counter top and is on little legs that have no-slip plastic on the bottom so we don't have to put it up as we drive. Adds counter space and covers the burners so every speck of dust or crumb on their black selves doesn't show.

Maggie