Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheli View Post
Hi Vivian!
Thanks for the reply. So sorry to hear about your dog. What a bad vacation. It's so hard to lose a pet, especially that way. We went to Disney world but actually had a better time at universal. Yep I hope to go back to Yellowstone again or even glacier, its so close to us.
Hope your air streaming is going good this summer! We may take her out for Labor Day, plus it's my birthday! Yay!
Take care!
Rachel

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Happy birthday to yooouuu!
Happy birthday to yooouuu!
Happy birthday dear Rachel,
Happy birthday to yooouuuuu!
(And many retuuuuurns!)
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Casper , Wyoming
Thank you!

Racheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Back to the Power Patio Awning…… a thought, when boondocking…. is, how much power is required to open or close the awning. Electric motors can use lots of electricity and if one runs this off the battery alone, it may be a compromising situation. I may test this out today…. providing the cold rain stops… LOL

In any event, I think the manual awning might be a better choice for those who do a lot of dry camping…..
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Just got back from Alumafandango in Oregon and this question came up during a seminar with Sutton RV. Apparently also of power is needed to open/close awning..also confirmed there is no way to manually close it should it get stuck. If it gets stuck your stuck! as happened to an attendee who was in their brand new 2014/2015 trailer and the Sutton rep from my understanding had to remove the awning all together, they then had to leave the event early and go to the dealership for repairs. The owner told me they were sick of it already and they were going to swap it out for a manual one. I dont know why it doesnt have a way to manually retract it.
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
ZipDee has stated they do not see any issues with the Power Patio Awning. I guess this means there may have been only a few who have had problems. I suspect there is a way to get it in manually. So, I went searching in the literature with my trailer and golly, gee whiz....the instructions to manually close it. It involves some disconnecting of wires, removing some bolts, then hand cranking it into the closed position, But they do have instructions in case it fails.

This is terrible, I mean, having to read instructions.....what is the world coming to?

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Well, they wouldn't sell many if they did admit to a problem
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Must not be too easy since when I last saw them the Sutton rep was removing it all together and they (owners) were making plans to go to the dealership.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #68
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
Smile Manually retracting your power awning

I recently had problems with my power awning and stopped by Zip Dee at their invitation so they could evaluate the issues. Their service is great and they do want you to be happy with the product! Every Airstream that is equipped with the power awning has a tool kit to stow the awning mechanically if it fails to stow on electrically and you should have the instructions in your documentation.

The roller can be retracted mechanically or electrically if the motor hasn't failed. There is a electrical cord for use with a battery and it is connected simply at the end of the roller. Piece of cake!!!! If the motor isn't working they have provided a mechanical solution and you need to read your instructions to perform this!

The struts also can be retracted with a tool found in the kit that works with a drill. This is spelled out in the instructions.

Do have your dealer work with the Zip Dee team because in our situation the issues we had were with proper adjustments and the Airstream factory and dealers need to learn the setup process so users don't have problems in the field.

Hope this was helpful and do contact Zip Dee if you are still having problems. They want you happy!
dmnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Let me begin by saying we have has two burned out motors replaced and one circuit board replaced. Then this week we were at the balloon rally demonstrating the retraction when it failed again. The struts retracted but the roller did not function leaving the awning in such a low position we could not open the door. Fortunately this time the motor was not burnt our and we uses the supplied zipdee battery bypass wires to bypass the circuit board and our awning fully closed.
We thought great but now that the awning is closed the LED indicator light for our awning reads solid status instead of closed and will not deploy again. Despite multiple attempts to push the circuit board button and also several attempts at a "hard" reset using the trailer battery disconnect button it is still stuck on status.
So yes, you can close it manually and now we can open it manually with some effort. Another option is to drive a couple hundred miles to a dealer and have them repair it for the 3rd time and take our chances on our next trip. We have lost confidence and no longer want to deploy it on any trip.

cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Eeeeeeek

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
More gadgets=more problems!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Well, there is always the problem of not having a dealer who has the capabilities to repair the awning properly. Multiple failures would certainly suggest this is a possibility. And, the drive to a dealer is extremely frustrating. Fortunately mine is only a few miles away and my awning goes up and down without a hitch….. so far.

Having said all this in defense of the power patio awning, I believe if I were order my trailer again, I would not order the power awning, as when boondocking my suspicion is powering up or down of the awning is a very significant power waste.

As with any new product, someone has to be the test mule. And, how happy I am with my awning may depend upon how happy I am in the test mule role…LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Gads ...something to steer clear of ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Well, I am certainly glad I read all this before having my Classic retrofitted with the power awning. Now, I know I don't want one.

I was kind of on the ropes before I read this. I liked the convience, but hated the looks of those huge supports.

Thanks, Guys, you saved me three grand and change.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

salem , Oregon
We didn't realize our battery was low during the rally. I read more on the zipdee web site today and saw a comment from zipdee that the battery should be well charged to use the awning. So...we charged up the battery and were able to reset the circuit board and now the awning works. In other words the most recent failure may have been owner error by our battery being low. Hopefully after two replacement motors and a new circuit board we are now set!

cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Avila Beach , California
We have a 2014 27ft FB International with an electronic awning, and reading some of these posts brings back memories, sadly, not happen ones.

On our third outing with what we once affectionately named "the dream", our dream began to take on the appearance of a nightmare. When attempting to extend the awning a grinding noise was heard, I immediately stopped the process and hit the close button. Upon surveying the situation, I found that the track that attaches the awning to the coach had torn from the trailer about 2 inches in the rear and about an inch in the front near the awnings motor. Actually the torque was so great that it ripped the thing right from the coach.. After the heartbreak that our new (and need I say very expensive "dream") was now damaged goods, many calls to the dealer and Zip-Dee directly, a 5.5 hour one-way trip to take the trailer back to dealer ensued, (no one local wanted to touch it) Nearly a month later and another 11 hour day we got the "dream" back.

Any of you ever have recurring nightmares? Now a few short months and maybe 2 or 3 outings later, the thing has once again gone belly-up and failed to deploy- happily (if there can be any happiness in this) this time it just appears dead, no grinding, no track/rail ripping; just dead. Oh, by the way, since the first event we have now developed a water leak that local RV shop has attempted to repair twice to no avail, and you'll never guess where?...yep where the track tore from the coach.

It is very sad commentary that an outfit in this price range and one known for its "quality workmanship", prompted one poster to say they have just simply given up on using the awning- the very thought is incomprehensible.

So a word to the wise, and I don't know if it can be done, but if you purchase an Airstream, don't get one with an electric awning, but have them put on a reliable and time-tested manual model: avoid your dream turning into a nightmare...it is so disappointing.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Power awnings

Well after having the trailer in winter storage (since the first/last time we experienced problems with the awning in August), we are camping again this weekend but no luck with the awning (yes, we were kind of hoping it would magically start working properly). This time it won't even start to unfurl-making grinding noises and looking like it's about to pull off the track similar to what Logrider described. We are thinking about just dropping it off in Ohio to be fixed as there isn't a nearby dealer experienced with the electric awning. One of our thoughts is just converting it to the manual awning if it's still problematic after another year when the warranty is up.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Wishing, I wouldn't wait until the warrantee runs out or have it repaired.

I would insist that Zip Dee replace it with a manual awning and refund the difference.

After all they're using you as a product tester

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Avila Beach , California
So sorry to hear of the problems ya'll are having with these awnings. The latest in on our "adventure", after the local dealer again fixed the awning by resecuring it to the rig, about 3 months later it failed again. At least this time we did not have the grinding issue, nor did it pull away/lift off the rig; it simply failed to deploy. That is better than failing to retract while out camping.

Nevertheless, needed a trip back to a different dealer, one closer to home. This time I called Zip-Dee directly and spoke to Jimmy. He admitted to some programming issues that have been occurring since this new unit's introduction, and committed to sending out a new motor and all new reconfigured/reprogrammed brain. Once that was installed, at least on our last two outtings, it has been working fine.

If no one has commented on the idea of requesting the electronic unit be replaced after-the-fact with the old tried and true manual outfit, that likely will not work. If you take a look at the footprint of the electric vs the manual, they are completely different, so much so that such an exchange will leave holes in your rig that would undoubtedly require exterior panel replacement.
We keep our fingers crossed each time we use the awning..and as previously commented, the more gadgets one has, the more problems you are going to experience. Concluding with what I recommended in my original post...opt for the mechanical awning, and run like "you know what" from the electronic version, period.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Thank you for your update...it gives me hope that ours can be fixed with a new motor, etc. too. Aren't all the new 2015 classics being outfitted with the electric awnings? I haven't heard of awning failures yet from that group on the forums but perhaps because it's still winter? We are going to call Zipdee on Tuesday to figure out the best solution...
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote