Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
spring lake , New Jersey
where to camp?

Hi everybody, I am getting lost trying to figure out where to go with this new air stream of mine. I want to stay in warmer climates for the winter (duh), but I hate to look of these cramped "trailer parks". I'm not seeing many air streams in the pictures of the rv parks i'm seeing. Where can I go that isn't $110. a night but is in nature, not asphalt. I thought Florida, put now I'm thinking New Mexico, Arizona? Help!!! Nicole
I'd like to spend some time this summer in it as well. I'm in new jersey, but I don't have to stay here.
nicole.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome, don't blame you for trying to stay warm.

Try the app called allstays,and campendium to find some great locations to camp.

Arizona has some great state parks that are roomier than some trailer parks.

Then you can always check back here to see if folks have experience with that Campground. They usually do and give great reviews.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

Just pick an area you want to visit, find a campground, and go.

The AllStays app is great, and shows private as well as public campgrounds.

Don't worry about trying to find the perfect spots, move around a bit and find out what you like.

There is a lot of personal preference in preferred campgrounds, is the truth. What is great for one person may not suit another.

Don't stress, pick something and go. It is an adventure waiting to happen.

Most of all.....have a good time.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
You can also try Reserve America: http://www.reserveamerica.com/

It seems most California state parks are reserved through the service. It's my primary source of camp reservations as I also don't like the private, asphalt-jungle rv parks.

Also, Campsite Photos http://www.campsitephotos.com/ is a good site to use in conjunction with it. This will actually give you a photo of your selected spot and the view from it to help decide which spot to reserve.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Also www.recreation.gov for National or State Parks.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.b View Post
Hi everybody, I am getting lost trying to figure out where to go with this new air stream of mine. I want to stay in warmer climates for the winter (duh), but I hate to look of these cramped "trailer parks". I'm not seeing many air streams in the pictures of the rv parks i'm seeing. Where can I go that isn't $110. a night but is in nature, not asphalt. I thought Florida, put now I'm thinking New Mexico, Arizona? Help!!! Nicole
I'd like to spend some time this summer in it as well. I'm in new jersey, but I don't have to stay here.

Once you get WEST of the 105th Longitude and EAST of the 110th Longitude, you have millions of acres of camping options and more RV Parks than towns.

(West of Denver, CO and East of Los Angeles, CA)

Buy yourself an Atlas of the State(s) you want to visit. I use Delorme, but there are others at national bookstores, or buy from the Delorme Atlas thread with a 50% discount coupon on this Boondocking forum.

- What are your interests?
- How much time do you have?
- What kind a previous traveling experiences do you already have?
- If you are open to about anything... then you have everything available.

There will be discovered options you did not realized existed until you just get your AAA maps and just... go. The first mile is the toughest.

The hardest mile is returning to where you had left.

Asking me where to go? You missed those Adventures already... so you can make your own and tell us all about it.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Nicole, don't give up on Florida as it is state park rich. If your willing to move to a new park every 14 days go online googling FloridaStateParks for more info. Reservations are a must as they are always full. These SP's cover the whole state from the Keys to the Panhandle so it would be a great winter adventure if you want to really explore the sunshine State.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
If you are going to Arizona or New Mexico, it can pretty cold and snowy there during the winter in the northern part of the states. Think about and look into spots in Texas. Central Texas around Fredericksburg, Kerrville, San Antonio, east of the Austin area are really great during winter months. Go online to Google Maps, put R V Campgrounds in the search line and a whole new world of camping spots will open up to you. Most of them will connect you to the link to the campground website. There are a lot of "winter Texans" who come to the south for the winter, go figure. See if that helps.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
And another thought on Florida. The state parks fill up pretty fast, BUT....they are required to hold 10% of their spots for walk-ins. You have to be there when the gate opens, but I picked up two weeks at Bahia Honda as a walk in in April!!!
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Myakka River state park is a good one to check. Have not camped as it is too close to home but I have never seen all the sites full when there. Close to Sarasota if you need civilization occasionally.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...-River#Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.b View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote