Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Help a newbie soloist.

I have never towed anything by myself. I am so nerveous. I need a recommendation on an easy to use, lightweight WD and sway control system.

I'm towing with a 2015 Touareg, picking up a 23D Serenity next week. 720 lbs toungue weight, 4700 lbs dry weight.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are several 'Forums members towing with Touaregs.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Easy to use, lightweight WD and SC might not all be in one package. Having never towed, take much care as you get started. If you know someone who has a small trailer, hook it up and take it to a big vacant lot and just drive around to get the feel of how a trailer tows, feels, etc. Be sure to see how a trailer tracks when you are turning. Also practice backing it. Put down anything, cardboard boxes, milk cartons, a little wider than the trailer and practice backing between them. If you don't know someone with a trailer, rent a small U-Haul.
The biggest concern I would have and caution a newby about, would be what can happen on the road with sway. If you are not really used to it, it can be a disaster. Not trying to scare you but want you to be safe. The best hitch with the most sway control would be advisable, don't just let the dealer stick something on your TV. I have been on a number of discussions recently and have decided that the Equal-i-zer, Hensley and ProPride are very good hitches. I have decided on buying the ProPride, pretty expensive but safety is worth the cost. Look around this web site for hitches, etc. There are many helpful hints. Good luck and do not jump into this until you are ready.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we are very happy with the equalizer WD system we use. Get the/a dealer to do the initial set up & it will serve you well. If you TV has a rear view camera, you'll find hitching 'no big deal'. . . .Good luck & we'll be looking for you on the road. . . regards, Craig
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I am no expert - I learned from "jumping in feet first" a couple of years ago like you will. So this is from 3 years and about 6,000 miles experience - not a ton of but I thought you might resonate from a similar experience. I started with a 25' (7000 lbs gw) and now have a 28' (7600 lbs gw).

First the easy part - there are different classes of hitches with different weight limits. Go to a reputable local hitch dealer with your vehicle and description of your AS and they will be able to make sure you get the right class, ball size, etc.

Next, I think you are absolutely on the money with weight distributing and sway control. I had always heard about "sway" (and in our cars we feel it when trucks pass) so I knew it was real. The Airstream is a great trailer and I experienced a lot less sway than I expected. It is however a very real phenomenon. I believe they make hitches with WD but no sway - but it is a must in my semi-amateur opinion.

I have had two styles - the first was similar to this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66088.html

My current is a Blue Ox similar to this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1001.html

Both are good, both have pros and cons as far as connecting and disconnecting. I like the way the Blue Ox bars connect easily to the hitch, but the I'm still getting used to the chains. Both work well though and your local dealer / installer can advise you well I would think. I actually bought the Blue Ox from the local AS dealer when I bought my trailer. They highly recommended it, installed it, and trained me on it.

You asked about the hitch, not the actual towing, but....

You also need a brake controller if your AS has electric brakes. Some vehicles come with them, many don't. I bought a Tekonsha - it seems to be very popular. It was fairly easy to install as my Armada had a ready made connector stowed under the dash. I not, no worries, I installed another harness in my truck which did not have a connector. Set it up properly and it really helps with braking given all the extra weight behind your vehicle.

I was nervous about towing something this heavy too. My Nissan Armada owner's manual had some good information, the Airstream material provided some good information, and there is a wealth of "how to tow safely" info on the www. Study it!

Have to go now - I'll try and add to this note later tonight.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
I have a question , I tow with a f250 4X4 because I've got horses and tow horse trailers . Never had a sway problem . I get my 19 ft Airstream in May .... do I need a WD or sway hitch ? Are travel trailers different ? Are they hard to hitch up ? Heavy ?
Nina
Ninanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ninanet: I have had an F250 now we have an F350, I've towed for over 40 years and would not consider towing without sway control for anything longer than a couple of miles.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninanet View Post
I have a question , I tow with a f250 4X4 because I've got horses and tow horse trailers . Never had a sway problem . I get my 19 ft Airstream in May .... do I need a WD or sway hitch ? Are travel trailers different ? Are they hard to hitch up ? Heavy ?
Nina

No different than coupling to a horse trailer-
Not sure if you need weight distribution, but at least a friction sway control could add to safety-
The Airstream may be equal to or possibly lighter than a loaded horse trailer in weight.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Horse trailers have the axles located closer to the rear therefor tend not to sway as easy.
You might consider an Andersen Hitch. They have a built in sway control. Since you won't require much if any weight distribution this hitch may be just the ticket.
Hitching the trailer at the correct height and loading it properly are key to a good towing experience.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
I have never towed anything by myself. I am so nerveous. I need a recommendation on an easy to use, lightweight WD and sway control system.

I'm towing with a 2015 Touareg, picking up a 23D Serenity next week. 720 lbs toungue weight, 4700 lbs dry weight.
Lia, it has been 6 months since your post. Any update on what you ended up using?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
LiaM. , what did you end up with ? Is it easy to use ?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
So I need to ask for a anti sway ? I asked salesman about WD /sway he just said " you can tow anything "

Hitching the trailer at the correct height and loading it properly are key to a good towing - you mean level ? Weight closest to front ?
Off to Google Anderson and sway bars.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
When you have time to do it right, henderson hitch. Sway and weight distribution.
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Help a newbie soloist.

Ninanet;
It is an Andersen hitch with an "e" and there are no spring bars. Look for videos on the Internet.
The trailer and TV should be level when hitched properly. Your TV should not squat. The trailer should be loaded to where there is more weight forward of the axles than aft.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch

had it so long forgot what it was called.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch. had it so long couldn't remember the name.
https://hensleymfg.com/
Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
Thanks everybody . I spent a couple hours watching YouTube videos . For me , the Andersen looks to be the best choice . Ease of hitching , plus I can use the same ball for my horse trailer .
Old 06-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #18

Hattiesburg , Mississippi
Wow. I didn't know there were hitches like this. I've only ever pulled a trailer with a simple ball hitch. I feel so much better because I may be doing this all on my own.
Jjarman is offline   Reply With Quote