Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Gold panels?

I came across this as and was intrigued. Anyone have any ideas? Here is a link to the ad: RARE '62 AIRSTREAM (factory one-of-a-kind)

And here is the text of the ad:

I've owned this Airstream for over thirty years and, though I hate the very thought of selling it, current condition$ require me to give that notion serious consideration. I do NOT have a price in mind, but I'm posting this to see if there's any interest in a more comprehensive description, and better pictures! Here's what's so about it:

1962 Tradewind (23') with FACTORY GOLD ANODIZED PANELS, all factory applied gold painted trim (instead of silver) on the hard metal parts.
Tandem axles w/electric and hydraulic brakes
Extra over/under Jalousie windows
Gold metalflake tub
Rear bath
I have the original (not updated) Propane tanks
Front couch pulls out for large bed.
Gaucho across from center galley sink (deep double stainless)

Nobody, not even Airstream, can tell me any hard-fact history of this trailer, and why it, and it alone, has the gold theme. Airstream thought it might have been a "Lead Trailer" for a stateside Airstream caravan, and was equipped with the latest options to show off, but their records don't go that far back. I dunno...

I've attached a bad picture of the thing, so you can get a sense of what I'm talking about, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

I have all of the original paperwork, manuals, appliance literature, etc. that I got with the trailer, when I bought it in the mid-seventies.

On a 1-10 scale, it would be worthy of a nice 8.

It is located at my home in Modesto. I have the title in my name and, up until the last coupla years, I've kept it current, though it hasn't been on the road for twenty years.

Again...I'm NOT setting a price....I'm pinging for interest.

Thank you,

Mark in Modesto

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I wanted to ad that "Mark is Modesto" is the person who posted the ad, i am not that person.

--Katie (sKatieRo)
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Interesting. I wish he had included some interior shots.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Mark in Modesto" with a '62 trailer with annodized panels is (was?) an AirForums member years ago. He only posted a few times, but there is some additional info he gave at the time also here. The links to the photos in those old posts are long since dead - but as I recall, the whole trailer was not gold, just a "stripe" or "band" around the top...just like the pics in the Craig's List ad which I re-posted below (so web links don't die).

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold panel.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	168268   Click image for larger version

Name:	detail-gold.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	168269  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I remember this discussion of that Airstream several years ago. It definitely has some interesting deviations from normal.

A tandem axle would have been an official factory option for a 24' Tradewind in 1962. The extra front street side Jalousie window is rare, but not unique. I am not sure I have ever seen a 24' Tradewind with the door with the Jalousie window however, but that would have been a normal door for a 16' Bambi, so it should have been an easy mod.

The gold anodized panels and reported gold trim and gold flake tub seem to be the most unusual parts. These were certainly custom changes that would have been very hard to make anywhere but at the factory when the trailer was initially being built.

Maybe it was built for a celebrity. The serial number (24DS S0706) proves that it was built in California, making this perhaps more likely than if it was built in Ohio.

Since Wally Byam lived in California, maybe this trailer was supposed to be his next personal Airstream (maybe his "retirement" Airstream). Since it was built in October 1961 (the "10 61" on the serial number plate as reported in the other threads Shari mentioned), Wally was likely very ill by then (he died in 1962) and maybe he never "owned" it or used it. Mind you this is just an idea - there is no proof that this is true.

The faded WBCCI number of 30908 that is reported to be on the trailer in those other threads is not too much help. This number was first assigned in 1976. I am missing the first Directory that should show that number (1977), but in my 1978 through 1980 Directories, #30908 is listed for a James and Barbara Huggins of Modesto, California, no caravans. #30908 is not listed in the 1981 Directory. This concurs with Mark in Modesto's claim that he purchased the Airstream in 1981 and I would guess that it is likely the Huggins that he bought the trailer from.

I don't recognize the Huggins' names as celebrities, but then I also suspect that they likely were not the first owners since they didn't join the club until 15 years after the Airstream was built.

The one thing that could help would be to see if there are any remnants of older WBCCI numbers underneath the 30908. We could look up who those numbers were assigned to in the early 1960s and see if that would lend any further clues.

That's all I can offer - pretty much the same as previously provided by the Airstream factory and previous VAC Historian - only speculation - no hard facts (other than for WBCCI #30908).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Two updates:

1. I have had one more idea about the possible origin of this Airstream. 1962 was about the time the Wally Byam Foundation was being created. This foundation was responsible for the Caravan America program in which visitors from various foreign countries were invited to tour the USA in Airstream trailers. It might be possible that this trailer was created to either commemorate the creation of the Wally Byam Foundation, or the Caravan America Programs, or perhaps to lead the first Caravan America caravan. I have not had the time to research the Caravan America program at WBCCI HQ yet, so this too is only a guess with no documentation to back it up.

2. I have contacted Mark in Modesto via email and hope to learn more about the 1962 24' Tradewind with the gold panels and maybe even get more photos. Sounds like he is busy as am I, so progress may be slow.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
The sleuthing continues . . .

Mark in Modesto sent me closeup photos showing the ghosts of two sets of prior WBCCI numbers under the #30908. From this I have pieced together a theory of the ownership history of this trailer leading to a high ranking Airstream Executive. Rather than re-type it here, follow this link to see the latest developments:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ml#post1205210
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Follow this link for the latest update on this trailer:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ml#post2225328

Hint: It is being restored and will make a road trip to Jackson Center this summer. Follow the link above for details.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768