Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
These are a staple in our household:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pour in 1 cup of boiling water, 10 minutes later I have "fresh cut" potatoes ready to fry

How much does a box make?
Now you've got me wanting potato pancakes.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Costco carries them.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
A great idea - long-term storable; weight reducing! Thanks.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Mashed potatoe flakes our house. Vets will remember powdered eggs, ugh, large cans of jelly on tables in mess house had to mix with eggs to eat. Grape jelly turns eggs green. Meat loaf 90% filler rest ground meat.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
How much does a box make?
Now you've got me wanting potato pancakes.

Enough for two hungry people. Three servings if you're having something else as well (eg. plenty of eggs & bacon)
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dehydrated potatoes

DW and I have plenty of potato pancakes to serve each of us with just one box. If I’m doing conventional hash browns,it’s easily 4 decent sized servings.

With the potato pancakes I usually add in a couple eggs to order and maybe link sausages if we’re really hungry. The big thing is it’s fast, convenient and tasty, as well as shelf-stable for a surprisingly long time.

First ran into these potatoes back in 2013 when a KOA we were staying at was giving them out as a manufacturer’s promotion. They were giving away 2-3 boxes at a time, and we stayed there twice.

The adapted potato pancake recipe came as a result of a google search after a local diner quit making them after a promotion expired. The recipes I found used mostly used fresh or frozen hash browns, but was easily adapted to the dehydrated ones by chilling them overnight after rehydration.

Their breakfast German-style plate had two 4” potato pancakes with a bit of sour cream and sliced green onions over them, two eggs to order, and a lovely breaded and pan fried pork schnitzel to go with it. I had to figure out a way to get the potato pancakes anytime i wanted afterwards. Was a lovely reminder of my dear Viennese grandmother’s cooking.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm old enough to remember (not at all fondly) when dehydrated potatoes came out in the 70's. Either my taste has changed or they have made some basic change to the product. These are not the terrible things I remember from "way back then ".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I remember them coming out, too, and believe they first showed up in school cafeterias.

We used to say that you could tell real mashed potatoes by their lumps.

In the great scheme of things, tho I am not a proponent of instant much of anything, they are today not a bad product...especially for those of us traveling by ourselves and with very little space.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
we keep the potato au gratin and scalloped potato mixes on hand. Make for a quick easy meal and TASTE LIKE THE REAL THING. (Aldi)
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We love dehydrated and freeze dried foods for travel. The potatoes are excellent. I use them back packing also.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Fun thread. One thought for you: If you have Mormon friends, ask them to point you to where they get dry supplies. The only drawback is that everything seems to come in those big #2 cans. But they have all kinds of dried fruits and such things that can be safely dried and reconstituted.

Meanwhile...

My wife calls me "the breakfast cook", because I'll try most anything in search of something good, and I've had some spectacular hits and just as spectacular misses...

But I'll share two easy recipes here that are staples for us; first for Steamguy's Scrambled Eggs, and then for Steamguy's Patatah-Betah (the way our next door neighbor used to pronounce it).

Steamguy's Scrambled Eggs:

Crack 5 eggs into your bowl for scrambling. Add the volume of one of the yolks of Ranch dressing (not "Light" or non-fat) - this makes it easy because you can do it by eye. You can add more or less Ranch, depending on how creamy you like the eggs.

Scramble together and cook to your desired degree of doneness.

For a bit of a 'wow' factor, add a couple good shakes of Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

Steamguy's Patatah-Betah:

Get the egg mixture ready as above.

Get your hash browns as spoken of above in this thread cooking to your particular liking of doneness.

Break them up, and dump in the egg mixture, cook until your desired degree of doneness of the eggs.

Again, for some 'wow', use the Montreal Chicken Seasoning on the hash browns as they're cooking; they'll flavor the eggs.

NOTE: This is Montreal CHICKEN seasoning, NOT Montreal Steak. The latter is WAY too strong.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Now let's discuss powdered milk!
I used to see Carnation powdered milk on the grocery shelves when I was a kid, but never used it.

Then, as a college junior living off-campus with some funny roommates, I discovered that if you mix a gallon of carnation with regular milk, you couldn't tell the difference in taste, but it was a huge money saver.

Then I graduated, got a job and steady paycheck and haven't used it since, but it's there in the back of my mind for the nuclear zombie apocalypse.

Oh, yeah, and then there's this guy.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Dehydrated potatoes

Renn and Stimpy’s best PSA ever: “....Don’t wizz on an electric fence!”

The whole thing was one of the totally hilarious songs on a CD they put out many years ago.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Fun thread. One thought for you: If you have Mormon friends, ask them to point you to where they get dry supplies. The only drawback is that everything seems to come in those big #2 cans. But they have all kinds of dried fruits and such things that can be safely dried and reconstituted.

Hi

There's a lot of groups that are into stocking up on food "just in case".....

If you get the stuff in the giant containers:

You can buy a range of plastic bags. Some get very industrial with mylar layers and aluminum foil in the mix. You also can get "oxygen absorbing" packets. Combine the bags, the packets, a rational amount of food, and a heat sealer. The result is a package size that makes sense.

The packets will last for who knows how long. I have not seen any reports of spoilage other than with bugs in rice.

Be sure to avoid eating the oxygen absorbing packet ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry are two of my favorites for freeze dried or dehydrated prepackaged 1,2 or multiple person meals.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Okay, we've gone to powdered milk, how about powdered eggs?

One thing that's been driving me crazy since I was a kid in fifth grade: We were in an experimental program where a whole class got to experience a forest camp for a couple weeks. We had expert military cooks from WWII and the Koran war doing our food.

Breakfast most always consisted of scrambled eggs and other stuff, but the eggs had to have been powdered. Yet, they were creamy, unctuous, and SO good!

So does anyone here know HOW they did it?

(Sorry for the hijack, trying to solve one of my life's mysteries.)
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I’d bet they added some fresh cream or possibly canned evaporated milk to the reconstituted eggs before they cooked them.

Even fresh shell eggs benefit from a bit of milk added to them before scrambling them. The trick with scrambled eggs is to just barely cook them. Over cooked scrambled eggs get tough, dry, and ugly.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Okay, we've gone to powdered milk, how about powdered eggs?

One thing that's been driving me crazy since I was a kid in fifth grade: We were in an experimental program where a whole class got to experience a forest camp for a couple weeks. We had expert military cooks from WWII and the Koran war doing our food.

Breakfast most always consisted of scrambled eggs and other stuff, but the eggs had to have been powdered. Yet, they were creamy, unctuous, and SO good!

So does anyone here know HOW they did it?

(Sorry for the hijack, trying to solve one of my life's mysteries.)
Uh, yeah I do...cooked them myself. water and time to sit and re hydrate, add a bit of milk powdered (let it re hydrate) or otherwise. Then a slow cook at a medium temperature with butter or margarine stirring often to get the fluff going. And did taste testes on college kids in the dorm and they preferred the dried eggs over the fresh cracked eggs which got rubbery and green fast.....until they knew which was which.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Perception and appearance counts for a lot when you are talking food.