Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemate View Post
Don't laugh out loud, but I just need to know this. In these places with no sewer hookups, what good is it to have to hook up every five days or so, and pull over to a dump station?

I am looking at living in my airstream for three months, and this seems like a pain in the backside.

What am I missing here?
Nothing.

For two years in a row I've parked the trailer for 8 weeks at a certain private campground where it is within walking distance of a venue where I perform in a stage show on weekends. There are only electric hookups available.

The choices I have are these:

1) Make only minimal use of the plumbing in the trailer. There are showers and portable toilets at the venue, and if I use paper plates and don't really cook I can get through 8 weekends without dumping tanks.

2) Pay the portable toilet company to spot a 300 gallon waste tank and pump it out from time to time. That's what I did this year, and it was expensive and stinky.

3) Haul wastewater away in a tank. I did that last year. Some people use blue boys, I was using a 55 gallon drum in the bed of my truck and a wastewater pump. That wasn't much fun either.

4) Dump wastewater on the ground or in a cathole. At this particular location it's unlawful, and IMO disrespectful of other campers, but some people do it. There are some locations that are remote enough that this approach is appropriate and lawful.

5) Pull the trailer out and take it to a dump station as necessary.

6) Camp somewhere else. That's my plan for next year at this point (The campground in question has other shortcomings).

In general, I see my trailer as being useful for self-contained operation for a maximum of two nights. For anything beyond that, as a practical matter, there have to be hookups or some sort of sensible plan for getting electricity and fresh water and disposing of wastewater. Other people go longer than that but they don't have kids or long hair.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The tanks in a '75 Argosy are SMALL. Under 15 gallons for each of gray and black. The recommendations for leasing a holding tank where the lease includes pump-out of that tank sound like a good option, but you might still need a macerator pump or something like the "sewer solution" that people have good things to say about, because the outlet on our trailers is low to the ground. Unless you have a significant downhill slope to locate an above-ground tank below the level of the trailer, you'll give up some of a big external tank's capacity if you rely only on gravity to dump into it.
Gravity will still work provided you aren't trying to empty the tanks in the trailer completely. Otherwise, the amount of extra clearance needed isn't that great, and two or three layers of 2x8s will raise the wheels enough to provide some fall into the tank.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Sewer Solution has finally made it into the conversation. Look this item up on the web, it works and is useful for up to 100 feet of "pumping" your tanks to a sewer connection where you will be staying. Posters on here have used hard PVC 1 inch pipe (cheap) to make this connection at their homes and campsites and have had some success of doing this up hill over long distances. Check this option out. I used one my last camp out and it worked better than I expected.

I HAVE NO CONNECTION TO THIS COMPANY - I just like the product.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I spent 3 months of last winter in Kentucky without sewer hook-ups in a Classic with grey and black tanks that I think are larger than yours. We had pump out service from a sewer company once a week, twice or three times would have been much better and there was only myself. My husband and I spent 5 and 2 months respectively in our Airstreams in Wisconsin one summer and he operated the premises' honey wagon himself. It is a chore and a situation that is a definite inconvenience as it interferes with "life" and you must be diligent and take time to attend to the task regularly in all types of weather and whether you are busy or not or pay the consequences of not being able to use your systems further. I'd suggest inquiring at the campground about pump out services. Another option is to use the campground washrooms which may or may not be more "convenient" for you but definitely a bigger source of germs I would imagine. Or try sink liners for sponge baths and a portapotty or wag bags. Cleanwaste - WAG BAG 12-Pack - Portable Toilets - Camping World

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ya know, we have been using campground washrooms 90% of the time for years, and have yet to become ill. Wash your hands, wear your flip-flops, it works just fine.

When you have a teeny tiny bathroom/shower combo, with equally teeny holding tanks, it just makes more sense or you spend all your time at the dump station.

Life is too short.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Ya know, we have been using campground washrooms 90% of the time for years, and have yet to become ill. Wash your hands, wear your flip-flops, it works just fine.

When you have a teeny tiny bathroom/shower combo, with equally teeny holding tanks, it just makes more sense or you spend all your time at the dump station.

Life is too short.

Maggie
Airstream bowel syndrome, can exponentially extend black tank capacity......or not.

Bob
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Airstream bowel syndrome, can exponentially extend black tank capacity......or not.

Bob
I was wondering why everyone always talks about using lots of ABS to extend their sewage capacity, but I figured they were referring to the 4" piping grids....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Funny, sort of.

Seriously, if ya wanna extend the time between dumps, ya gotta use the public facilities. It's really okay, guys.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Those portable tanks can be a nuisance to everyone in the park when they are pulled behind a tow vehicle on pavement. Nothing short of a straight piped Harley makes more noise than those things towed on pavement with the hard plastic wheels. One afternoon at St Joe it was non-stop. This one guy in a grayhound bus thing emptied his twice in a row. Since the campground was a one way loop, it went on for a while. There was a tank dump station at one of the bathrooms but no one used that. They either did not know it was there or they were too lazy.

They need to put rubber wheels on those things.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Coyote dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
My 64 came with these great instructions: you dig a hole, then put a plywood half sheet with a hole in it on top of the hole, then use some of the extra dirt from the hole to hold the board down. Then you backup over the hole, and fish your slinky into the hole cut in the plywood. It's now directly under your black tank. Put a couple random coolers around and nobody's the wiser. Yeah, yeah, it's illegal in most places, but the simplicity is so appealing.
As long as it is so appealing!

Actually I couldn't resist that line. I really am not meaning to flame your post, but you are advocating breaking the law in my state, and most other states. There are supposedly some areas where I have been told (do not know for sure) it can still be done---I suspect BLM land or something, though they may require that you hold a state license.

Be aware of the potential consequences! At least put some quick lime in it to pH 12, that will at least show concern about pathogens and may inspire some mercy from a regulator, warden or zoning administrator.

In Wisconsin....I am doing this based on a three year old bond schedule---all I have at home! so add a bit to this.

One time and caught-----

1. citation ch. nr 113.07 illegal disposal method $803
2. citation ch. nr 113.07 several other potentials--distance to treatment etc plant, non-approved site, and one or two others $803 ea.
3. citation ch. nr 113.04, failure to have vehicle/tank insp. $803
4. citation ch. nr 113.05, failure to have/display license on vehicle $507
5. citation ch. nr 113.06, insp & servicing of vehicle, $507
6. citation ch. nr 113.08 no site evaluation $507
7. citation ch. nr 113.09 violation of application rates $ 803
8. citation ch. nr 113.11 records $803
9. referral to Dept Justice (independent of the long list above), failure to have operators certificate, ch. nr 114, sec 2, enforced ss 281 $5000

Now the interesting part, if I can prove it was intentional (criminal version) that can add considerable. If the hole extends into the upper limits of ground waters....civil version $10,000/day, criminal version $25000 and/or 6 months imprisonment/ day of violation.

check to see if coyote dumping is legal, it is in some areas---not in Wisconsin. By the way EPA would like us to toughen up ch. nr 113 to get it more in line with cfr 40, pt 503 and the codes of many other states.

I am not saying that a judge would throw the book at you for all of the above, but my experience is that it will cost you a couple of grand. There is still the county nuisance and health ordinances. I will add that only twice in my career have I gone criminal (yes there was 6 months of time) on wastewater charges. The most citations I have ever issued at one time was $5400, I felt a bit bad about it as it was a friend. Fortunately he did understand....didn't like it, but understood. Yes we still speak and are still friends. Regulators are like cops that enforce technical law.

Please be careful to point out that there are consequences to coyote dumping--if you are caught.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I remember several years ago a story out of Chicago, where a tour bus dumped their tanks over the Chicago river----just as a tour boat filled with visitors to the Windy City was passing underneath.

A true story.

I recall there was a very hefty fine to the offenders for illegal dumping.

Maggie
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Use the RV Park's Restroom & Shower Facilties

A trip to a Peruvian restroom facility away in a small community will adjust ones thinking about using a campground dry or wet restroom facility in the USA. Especially when you must "tip" the guardian of the hole in the floor or peeing into a galvanized trough for a bit of toilet paper. The foot prints embossed or painted onto the concrete indicate where to do aim your business for the "newbie" tourist.

Wear flip flops in the shower. If you are worried about someone seeing your naked body drying off, dry off in the shower stall.

Odor will not infect you with a disease in an outdoor facility, although modern outdoor restrooms are very well designed for venting air. Holding your breath only makes the first gasp for air a major mistake using that strategy. Just do your business and as stated earlier, wash your hands if infection is a worry. Wipe down the stool lid before using it. It is no dirtier than yours at home. The old story about yours does not stink compared to others is a worn out story. I find the out door privy a blessing to many options to be found for disposing of one's own waste. As they say to American tourists in Australia when they cannot handle the outback primitive conditions... "toughen up Princess". You will toughen up and you will make the adjustment without any difficulty, after overcoming the inhibitions that seem a bit awkward at the beginning...
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel View Post

One time and caught----

2. citation ch. nr 113.07 several other potentials--distance to treatment etc plant, non-approved site, and one or two others $803 ea.
9. referral to Dept Justice (independent of the long list above), failure to have operators certificate, ch. nr 114, sec 2, enforced ss 281 $5000

Now the interesting part, if I can prove it was intentional (criminal version) that can add considerable. If the hole extends into the upper limits of ground waters....civil version $10,000/day, criminal version $25000 and/or 6 months imprisonment/ day of violation.
One of the specifications against King George in the Declaration of Independence was,

Quote:
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
And King George didn't even have an EPA. . .

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I remember several years ago a story out of Chicago, where a tour bus dumped their tanks over the Chicago river----just as a tour boat filled with visitors to the Windy City was passing underneath.

A true story.

I recall there was a very hefty fine to the offenders for illegal dumping.

Maggie
I do not know the incident but based on what is in the post.

Statutory violation of the Clean Water Act. Can be enforced by Fed or by Il EPA. (discharging w/o a NPDES or state permit)

Typical civil version about $10,000 + investigative and administrative costs.

The criminal version (proof of intent) about $25,000 and/or 6 mo.

Those would be typical, so your recall of a hefty fine is correct. There were probably civil actions as well. Illinois has some similar citations that may have been tacked on as well. By the way--a criminal version--one may not use company funds for either defense or for paying the forfeiture.

Good recall
Old 12-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
One of the specifications against King George in the Declaration of Independence was,

And King George didn't even have an EPA. . .

Anti regulatory is an "in thing now"

Imagine, something as novel as public health laws or preventing someone from polluting waters for their own benefit, water that belongs to everyone!

Read history about public and environmental health laws before you rail that position. Better yet live downstream or near a major polluter. I hear lots are cheap near the old Love Canal.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
People are always against being regulated - but insist on being regulated for!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Are there any dump stations in Wash....never mind.

Bob
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel View Post
As long as it is so appealing!

Actually I couldn't resist that line. I really am not meaning to flame your post, but you are advocating breaking the law in my state, and most other states. There are supposedly some areas where I have been told (do not know for sure) it can still be done---I suspect BLM land or something, though they may require that you hold a state license.

Be aware of the potential consequences! At least put some quick lime in it to pH 12, that will at least show concern about pathogens and may inspire some mercy from a regulator, warden or zoning administrator.

In Wisconsin....I am doing this based on a three year old bond schedule---all I have at home! so add a bit to this.

One time and caught-----

check to see if coyote dumping is legal, it is in some areas---not in Wisconsin. By the way EPA would like us to toughen up ch. nr 113 to get it more in line with cfr 40, pt 503 and the codes of many other states.

I am not saying that a judge would throw the book at you for all of the above, but my experience is that it will cost you a couple of grand. There is still the county nuisance and health ordinances. I will add that only twice in my career have I gone criminal (yes there was 6 months of time) on wastewater charges. The most citations I have ever issued at one time was $5400, I felt a bit bad about it as it was a friend. Fortunately he did understand....didn't like it, but understood. Yes we still speak and are still friends. Regulators are like cops that enforce technical law.

Please be careful to point out that there are consequences to coyote dumping--if you are caught.
Im glad your not my "friend". Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
In response to the OP, have you looked at a macerator pump?

If there is any kind of sanitary sewer access, even just a small clean out or maybe a manhole, a pump may be the option.

They grind and pump black tank contents a good distance via a standard garden hose.

Good Luck, I hope things go well for your family.

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote