Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2022, 11:46 PM   #1
GR3
1 Rivet Member

Trussville , Alabama
Airstream 5th Wheels

During my education on Airstreams, I see they made a few 5th wheel models. Does anyone have any experience with them? It looks like they only made maybe a few hundred.

I looked up some of the floor plans for those and the 1996 Integrity looks neat. They offered a 30' and a 36' model.

Fifth wheel trailers do tow much easier.

Anyway, just curious.
GR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
I've seen pictures but I've never seen one in person. I always thought it would be need to get like a 40' lowboy trailer and mount an Airstream on it. Then you would have an Airstream/Gooseneck/Toyhauler. But then I guess it kinda defeats the whole idea of an Airstream.
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I've heard they back easier and that may be, but I sure don't believe they "tow easier" than an Airstream. That doesn't compute in my world, especially a 5th wheel 4-5' high than the cab of the TV and top heavy to boot.

Set me straight.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is one listed for sale on Airstream Marketplace.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Lots of folks get curious about Airstream and its history, and there is plenty out there both in print and on the web.

Sometimes campers that like a certain type of camper wonder why Airstream never built "x" or never got into "y" only to find out that Airstream at one time or other did actually do "x" and "y" sometimes more than once, but for various reasons it never worked out.

Fiberglass, (Wally B, (nest)) Class A, (Argosy, Airstream Motorhome, SkyDeck) Slide outs, Class C (Atlas) Toy haulers (PanAmerican), teardrops (original Airstream, BaseCamp), 5th wheels - all been done, and what hasn't officially been done, intrepid campers have made, like Airstream truck campers and pop-ups/outs.

Sometimes tin kin like Avion also made these variations, and Avion always had the reputation of being a better Airstream, which from what I have seen is true, but then, they aren't in business anymore.

A curious truism about Airstream is that historically, with few exceptions, the farther they stray from the iconic travel trailer, the more problems they have with that product.

Another truism about Airstream is that there is the perception and reputation of the storied brand, and then there is this leaking, filiform corroding, rotting, aluminum shell falling apart around you which is either new and sooooo not what you thought you were paying for when you cashed in your life savings to purchase, or the vintage diamond in the rough you found for a steal and is about to release you from said life savings. I exaggerate, of course, but not enough.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
I've heard they back easier and that may be, but I sure don't believe they "tow easier" than an Airstream. That doesn't compute in my world, especially a 5th wheel 4-5' high than the cab of the TV and top heavy to boot.

Set me straight.
I've never pulled a fifth wheel but they apparently pull the best out of anything. It's the geometry of where the trailer attaches. With the trailer pin right over the axle it becomes part of the tow rig almost. But then you also have the 4-5' higher like you mentioned. So head wind is brutal. Side wind I'm not sure. But apparently they pull amazing.
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote