Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Louisville , Kentucky
Smaller or larger...hmmmmm.

Wife and I started with Bambi 16...informed us as to how much we would like airstreaming, but it gets very small... after 2 years we went with the international signature 25... the transition cost us but we needed more space, I needed to do something to diminish AC noise over bed at night, we appreciate the much better bath/shower and then of course we needed to accommodate our dogs.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised about upsizing after contacting CanAm. I travelled from Louisville to have them rig up my VW Touareg...everything went great.. They have very advanced strategies for towing, unknown by any other company.
Good luck, have fun.
Wingman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Additionally when comparing the holding tanks remember that on the 19 you will likely fill the grey tank and need to dump way before the black reaches capacity. So even though it has more capacity then the 16 you will not necessarily utilize 100 percent of the additional capacity.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #23
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Go Larger!

hovr,

How long can you and your SO survive locked in your bathroom...? 🤔 There will undoubtedly be days when it rains/storms and you can't venture out. Better to go with the larger trailer. I went from a 20 footer to a 26 footer. The 20 was comfortable, but the 26 so much more. Good luck and safe travels. 😊
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
go big or go home

We had friends that were in a 16. Two adults, two kids and two standard poodles. They are much happier in a 30 now. And they full timed.

We love our 26 RB. Lots of room, storage and stay out months at a time.

Go as big as you can afford.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Here is some info to chew on. These are 2 threads that I started when we were shopping.
Even though some of the features have changed over the past 5 years, the majority of the advice still holds.

Essentially, with most trailers there are what I call Limiting Factors that shape how you can and cannot use the trailer.

Water capacity is a huge limiting factor--both fresh water storage, and waste water storage.

Added to that, mixed gray/black in the 16 is an additional limiting factor not found in units with separate gray/black. (because you can use a blue boy tote on gray water really easily but black water is more complicated).

Overall storage, and also specifically having a place to keep things where you use them is a big limiting factor vs having to shuffle things back and forth between trailer and vehicle.

I suggest you make a list of all of the stuff you would need to bring along for a trip the duration you would want to take, and then Literally-figure out where you would keep it.

For us, we loved the 16. I could make a 16 work but it would involve a lot of compromises that I didn't have to make with a 22.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...-a-136645.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...es-120231.html

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We had a 16-foot Bambi, and it was great.

Really like it.

I still miss that bed. Like sleeping in an aluminum cave.

We now have a 19-foot Bambi, and we like it even more. Just a little more elbow room.

As for towing, I think the 19 follows better.

Certainly easier to back into a spot.

You can’t go wrong, either way.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #27

2005 16' International CCD
Boise , Idaho
My wife and I have a 2006 16 foot Bambi. We've taken it from British Columbia to Arizona and think it's perfect. We pull it with a 2015 Acura MDX which works fine. We looked at a 19 footer when we bought our 16 footer and didn't see a benefit worth the money for the trailer and perhaps the need for a new tow vehicle. I think our experiences will carry over to the current models, they seem very similar.

The biggest downside and a critical issue of our trailer is it's carrying capacity. According to the sticker on our trailer after you've loaded water, propane and the battery you are left with roughly 150 pounds of weight capacity for clothing, food, tools, electronics etc. I understand the new 16 footers have more capacity by eliminating for example the rear bumper but it's an issue on all trailers.

It's amazing how quickly we use up this capacity. Because of the limit we rarely have any water on board (except in a water jug). When we are moving, we empty the water tanks (including the hot water tank) and the black/gray water tank every time we move. We learned not to exceed the weight limit the hard way in the middle of nowhere Utah.

Obviously we are limited in what we can take but it's never been much of an issue. We make sure every thing we bring is important and light weight. When we boondock we fill up on water near where we're camping but we do spend many nights in RV parks.

Concerning towing I doubt there's much difference between a 16 and 19 foot trailer. I frequently tow a 20 foot boat which seems no different from the Bambi. Backing the Bambi is not a piece of cake. But I think that's because it's a single axle trailer more than a function of length. I go slow and back and fill a lot.

Which ever trailer you get it's a great fun.
Gusto2582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
We love our 16’ Bambi!

After reading all of the above replies, I feel I must chime in defense of the 16’ Bambi! My husband and I have a 16’ International Signature Bambi which we have traveled in for five years (3 years I was single and 2 years together.) we LOVE the light airy feeling we get with front and back wrap around windows! And yes, usually the best view is out the back! We never have to worry about positioning with both sides having pano windows. We bought the Airstream because we love their windows.

Re the holding tank: when we are boondocking, which we do often, we just put a tub into the sink and pour out the water so that very little goes into the tank. Easy to do while boondocking in remote areas. In RV parks, you have hookups so it is not an issue. We do the same when taking a shower. And carry extra water in 3 gallon containers in our TV.

We invested in solar panels and lithium batteries (fit under the bench so take up no extra room) so power is never an issue for us. Runs everything except AC. Instead of oven, we use Omnia stovetop oven. Works great!

For storage, the back Outside hatch on the 16’ is huge! Much bigger than the larger AS models. We took out the center support (not needed) and store all our chairs, Rug, ladder, hoses, cords, adapters, everything we need for outdoors. Chocks and levelers go in what used to be the battery box on the tongue. Less weight and easy access.

The only downside is that the inside person in the bed has to crawl over the outside person. Same sized bed as in 19’ but better view! And of course a “wet-bath” instead of separate shower. We do not use the shower that much anyway (Park showers for weekly bathing and sponge bath for daily) and this works for us.

We LOVE the flexibility the small trailer allows. We can go ANYWHERE with it! And we tow it with our daily car, a VW Touareg! Lots of power and storage.

We are often out on the road with this set up for 6-8 weeks at a time and it works for us. But we love camping, hiking and the outdoors. (Don’t need much luxury) So the Bambi has been a great way to get us out to the places we enjoy. This is the reason we wanted the Airstream in the first place. A home to shelter in as we take “the road less traveled by..”

So if you are looking for adventure, do not overlook the smaller option!
For more info, check out my blog at rudiontheroad.com !
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
River Falls , Wisconsin
For perspective, I started with a 16 Bambi and liked it a lot initially. But the wet bath got old, and I always had trouble backing nicely into campsites. I never got the hang of how to back without the Airstream jackknifing. My husband can’t travel much in the summer, so I go alone. Three years ago I sold the 16 to buy a used 23D International. The extra space, bigger tanks and longer trailer make for a much more enjoyable experience. And I haven’t yet encountered a campsite I couldn’t easily back into; the longer trailer is more maneuverable for me. Good luck with your decision. Whatever trailer you choose will be fun!!
smsmith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Lots of good advice here. I see you are west coast, & I will just throw out there to think about where you want to camp. We just spent 6 months in cali & oregon, with a 19'. We could fit in most spots really well, but cali state parks and nfs campsites tend to be tiny. I can't tell you how often I said to my husband we needed more storage, & we have shopped for bigger more than once. But when we get into the tight spot anything bigger can't get into, I also tell my husband to remind me of us getting into these great spots the next time i complain. Oh, we full time too! We have always had 4 door pickup trucks, so that helps storage now that we are empty nesters. It all depends on what kind of camping experience you want. We try to never go to private parking lot campgrounds, dry camp as much as possible, but we have learned over time how to conserve tank space & have generators & solar. We can go a week pretty easily between dumps, & never need electricity. To each his own; picture your ideal camping experience. We love our airstream! Good luck!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Until today I found myself in the same dilemma: first timers, excited, curious, and well out of our element. We love the Caravel 16, wanted that to work.

Ultimately for us it came down to the bathroom and the bed. The way I looked at it was when we’re camping we’re going to be outside, and when we’re inside it’s either to sleep or use the bathroom. The Flying cloud 23FB has a queen bed, it’s fairly light, has a very low hitch weight and has a great bathroom which fully closes to the rest of the trailer (not to mention at 6’3” and built like a line backer i can actually fit in the shower. Having a bit of walk around bed means not completely climbing over the other person to get up.

I’m sure if we love this we will be at the ford dealership for an F350 and a picking up a 33FB classic. But for now this is going to be amazing and our current X5 can adequately serve as a tow vehicle.

(Thanks Patrick @ Colonial)
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If it was just one of you, I would say - 'hey! What a great way to break into RVing." Since there are two of you, I say "oh boy, you're gonna be emptying your tanks all the time and running out of fresh water even more often." I had a 19' Bambi for 10 years and always had one of the 3 tanks empty or full to deal with. I moved up to a 25' Int'l and it has been like night and day in comfort and convenience. Also - spending a couple of rainy days with another person in a tiny trailer will really test the relationship; because there is just no way to have two personal spaces in a 16-footer (IMHO).
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Congratulations matthewk . . . Patrick is great . . . welcome to the forum!

Do you know about the 23FB thread? Lots of good folks and info over yonder:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...um-166374.html

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
This should help you.

https://thesmallsmalltrailer.com/cat...-bambi/page/1/

Scroll to the bottom of the page to Archives: 2012. They live in the PNW. If you are young then crawling over one another shouldn’t be a problem... until it is. We began with a 2010 16’ Serenity(18 months old) Had it four years. Then we bought a new 2016 20’ FC and now we have a 2018 26URT! Have made great memories in them all!

Best of luck on your decision.
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto2582 View Post
My wife and I have a 2006 16 foot Bambi. We've taken it from British Columbia to Arizona and think it's perfect. We pull it with a 2015 Acura MDX which works fine. We looked at a 19 footer when we bought our 16 footer and didn't see a benefit worth the money for the trailer and perhaps the need for a new tow vehicle. I think our experiences will carry over to the current models, they seem very similar.

The biggest downside and a critical issue of our trailer is it's carrying capacity. According to the sticker on our trailer after you've loaded water, propane and the battery you are left with roughly 150 pounds of weight capacity for clothing, food, tools, electronics etc. I understand the new 16 footers have more capacity by eliminating for example the rear bumper but it's an issue on all trailers.

It's amazing how quickly we use up this capacity. Because of the limit we rarely have any water on board (except in a water jug). When we are moving, we empty the water tanks (including the hot water tank) and the black/gray water tank every time we move. We learned not to exceed the weight limit the hard way in the middle of nowhere Utah.

Obviously we are limited in what we can take but it's never been much of an issue. We make sure every thing we bring is important and light weight. When we boondock we fill up on water near where we're camping but we do spend many nights in RV parks.

Concerning towing I doubt there's much difference between a 16 and 19 foot trailer. I frequently tow a 20 foot boat which seems no different from the Bambi. Backing the Bambi is not a piece of cake. But I think that's because it's a single axle trailer more than a function of length. I go slow and back and fill a lot.

Which ever trailer you get it's a great fun.
The cargo capacity is definitely an issue with the Sport or now Bambi. The Caravell is much better.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Wilmington , North Carolina
We have two friends that have a 16 Bambi and they absolutely love it! They tend to focus on outdoor activities and really use their inside space minimally. We have a 25 FC and it feels really good - I like to say it's optimized for space but if I'm being totally honest, I do think occasionally about a larger Stream...
Bottom line - its really up to you and your personal preferences!
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Size matters?

My wife and I love our 16 ft BCX. Awesome trailer, easy to tow and everything you need and nothing that you don’t. Adjusting to the combined grey and black water tanks did take a little time but you figure it out pretty quickly. We also carry an rei screen house and after breakfast inside spend most of our time outside. Rainy days are scrabble, reading and coffee that eventually becomes wine or bourbon. Storage bins are the way to go and the generators, extra water and extra food is in the backseat or bed of the Tacoma. Most showers are outside. The best thing about human nature is that we adjust very quickly to our situation. Learning how to live in our trailer was a big part of the fun. I don’t think you are making a choice between good and bad only best and a little better.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Are you both comfortable on the bed together?

Do you both fit and function in the bathroom comfortably?

Do you both fit at the dinette comfortably?

Is there spaces for you both to be when you don't want to be next to each other?

Can you both move around without jostling?

Go and try the lay, sit, dine and move test in the trailers you are considering.

Nothing on print or computer is anywhere near as good as doing it in person.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My simple opinion is I'll never have another trailer with a single axle.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #40
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
My suggestion is to rent the one you are interested in. My wife and I rented a Basecamp for a weekend. We really thought it would be plenty of room for us since we spend all day outside. What we quickly discovered was it was just too small as we were tripping over each other while inside at night. Thinking of having to spend a rainy day or two together lead us to buy a 25 footer and we love it. It backs up so much easier than the single axle Basecamp did.

Good luck on your search!
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote