Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Why I No Longer Have an Airsteam "Trailer"......

....scared ya, didn't I?

Well, the trailer is still sitting in my driveway like it has been since February. I think it's the only almost-new Airstream that hasn't gone anywhere. My antipated shake-down cruise for September never got off the ground due to work and other things going on.

So, I no longer think of it as an Airstream "trailer." It's an Airstream "bedroom" and "office." Dammit all!....I'm going to get my money's worth one way or another, so sleep in it and do some of my work there.

I gave it it's first wash the other day, and now I wish I hadn't. Darn - that clearcoat is delicate. I tried to wash it with the grain with a fleece mitt. I wonder if there were tiny bits of grit in the mitt because in the harsh sunlight, I can see some tiny swirls. I hope a Walbernize Super-Shield treatment will pull them out. I can't see the scratches when it's cloudy or dull out like today. Again, only in the bright sun at a certain angle. Has anyone else noticed this with their Airstream? Did Walbernizing help?

Aside from that, am still having fun gussying up the interior. I found these letters at the Dollar Store. I think it looks kinda neat. Since we all name our trailers, why not display the name somewhere?

I hope to get away in October. Fall camping can be nice here. The days require a warm sweater, but I love that golden autumn sun with the crisp nights. No bugs. No crowded campgrounds. No need to turn on th air conditioner or furnace as long as you have lots of cozy bedding. No ice and snow (yet).

Signed,
"All gussied-up with nowhere to go."
Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i have you beat. i bought my trailer in May and it is patiently waiting for the first trip. i'll make up for it by being with it all winter in florida :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Are You Joking or What!

Are you crazy or so rich you have money to burn. A new Airstream just sitting in the the driveway. Loosing hundreds of dollars every day just sitting there. Or maybe this is just a joke. If this is for real. I feel so sad for you. I was same way many years ago. I sold advertising for 12 years and never took a day off. Now I work for myself. I may not make as much money as I did but I am so much happier now. I go Airstreaming when ever I want. I often think about the orig. owner of my AS. He bought it new in 66 and only used it once a year for the 1st ten years. After that it was parked and not used for 33 years. Guess what he died and his family sold it. Lucky for me I got a near mint vintage AS. For a 8th of what your new one cost. I have spent more nites in it the 1st year I've owned it, then the orig owner ever did. I say sell it now and buy a vintage AS. Try flying when the sun is out and sleeping at night. That's what I do!

Ace In PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

I have loaded AS and I'm not afraid to use it.
My Cessna 182 get flown as often as I can also.
Life is short runways are long!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0180.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	140446
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
When you wash or wax your Airstream don't go in circles wash front to rear with the grain of the aluminum and you won't see the marks.

Now just hook up and go somewhere, best leave the phone at home.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now, if you just had a trailer hitch on the Cessna, you could use both at once.
Nice setup!!!!!
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Are you crazy or so rich you have money to burn. A new Airstream just sitting in the the driveway. Loosing hundreds of dollars every day just sitting there. Or maybe this is just a joke. If this is for real. I feel so sad for you. I was same way many years ago. I sold advertising for 12 years and never took a day off. Now I work for myself. I may not make as much money as I did but I am so much happier now. I go Airstreaming when ever I want. I often think about the orig. owner of my AS. He bought it new in 66 and only used it once a year for the 1st ten years. After that it was parked and not used for 33 years. Guess what he died and his family sold it. Lucky for me I got a near mint vintage AS. For a 8th of what your new one cost. I have spent more nites in it the 1st year I've owned it, then the orig owner ever did. I say sell it now and buy a vintage AS. Try flying when the sun is out and sleeping at night. That's what I do!

Ace In PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:

Ace In PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

Well, the Airstream was still cheaper than adding an extra bedroom and office to the house.

BTW, I'm involved in aviation and sure know what that costs!!! And that's one reason why I can't get away.
Am organizing an event for.....what else.....a bunch of crazy aviators who fly vintage Harvards amongst other aircraft. Airplanes that burn hundreds of dollars worth of fuel/hour.

Cripes.....my Airstream is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

I bought my AS as a possible retirement home, so am thinking long-term. Am enjoying the driveway camping too. To each his own, right?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i have you beat. i bought my trailer in May and it is patiently waiting for the first trip. i'll make up for it by being with it all winter in florida :-)
Glad I'm not the only one.

As they say, some things are worth waiting for.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
no, i'm not that rich. i have waited a long time for a move to a house. i had a choice of the trailer or the house and the trailer won and it can be both :-)

i see it as a long term commitment and i'll be able to follow the best seasons and locations. i agree with what many have written, that i think i'd regret not doing it more than doing it. things just fell into place and i felt good about doing it.

i'm a square peg in a round hole. what can i say? lol now if finding the right woman was as easy ;-)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
richinny, I'm not stinkin' rich, but I was worrying more about my money than enjoying it. I have never been a spendthrift, have invested carefully -
found aceflys "lecture" to be quite amusing because I really do not warrant such a rant.

Like you, am thinking of my AS as more of a "home" than a fanciful travel trailer.
I considered buying used, but used 'streams are hard to come by here. So, went fo the new one which the dealer had discounted greatly because it was a 2010, and I purchased it in Feb. 2011. I liked the fact that no one had slept in the bed....or used anything else. It really is "mine" now.

I agree with what you wrote - if I didn't buy it then, I'd regret it now. I love sleeping in my little cocoon. A good night's sleep is priceless, IMO. I like the feeling of having an "escape" mobile in my driveway (and someday I will escape).

Anyway, sounds like you have a great escapemobile too. A 34' Classic - wow! Have you posted pictures?

I hope you have a great winter in Florida.....with the warm sand between your toes....and.......
no regrets!!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Go. Don;t wait for a convenient time. Go.

Go, Just go.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I Guess I Hit Nerve Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Well, the Airstream was still cheaper than adding an extra bedroom and office to the house.

BTW, I'm involved in aviation and sure know what that costs!!! And that's one reason why I can't get away.
Am organizing an event for.....what else.....a bunch of crazy aviators who fly vintage Harvards amongst other aircraft. Airplanes that burn hundreds of dollars worth of fuel/hour.

Cripes.....my Airstream is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

I bought my AS as a possible retirement home, so am thinking long-term. Am enjoying the driveway camping too. To each his own, right?

You are 100% right about aviation. I tell people that all the time. Flying is no longer a hobby. I was let go a few years ago from a great job flying a King Air for a company. They sold the plane and didn't tell me for a month. I knew when the plane was gone. I'm very lucky I get paid ever time I turn my prop. I've been a aerial photographer for over 20 years now. Things have been slow for me since the economy has slowed. So I'm not out flying for that $100 hamburger anymore. My plane is paid for and I paid cash for my Airstream. I almost bought a new AS in 2008. I'm so glad now I didn't. I would of lost it if I was making payments. I am very blessed(or may be smart) I live within means. I have never had a car payment and I don't use credit cards. Please don't take this as preaching. Take it as a lesson on how to live. I sleep very good at nite not worrying about who I owe.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Heat has curtailed camping for us in Texas this summer, but hopefully we will be back on the road soon.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
3 months on the road

My dear husband figured out a way to take our Vintage SteSpot out for 3 months going across the country speaking to bar associations. At first I was not thrilled because it was a work/sightsee trip and it was not my idea of traveling about in the trailer. It included the midwest in July and since I grew up there I knew it would not be pretty. I was correct. 108 degrees in Oklahoma City was not fun. But after I had my tantrum and whined a bit, I got into the trip and parts of it were wonderful. Our Airstream was the perfect way to travel. Having our own beds at night was awesome. We even worked in a grandchildren fix in Michigan. I was beginning to feel that the AS was our home. It is good to be home now but I would do it again.....just not the midwest in July. And it was so much cushier than Lewis and Clark had it, I felt like a brat complaining. They went where they didn't even know where they were going without air conditioning to boot. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i guess we all have airstream homes :-)

i've done the winter thing for 5 years now. while most of my miami neighbors are older than i am, most of them are closer to me in activity and values than the ny neighbors. the larger trailers do offer more room to separate activities like in a home. the smaller trailers offer much more in mobility. that's why there are so many models.

it is interesting how many people use their trailers as a home away from home, even when they're parked right outside their home. i find i'm learning just how simple life can be.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
Long Wait

Ok...I'm not the least bit rich. Saved for a few years to buy my 27FB International. Took delivery May of 2010. Washed it a few times in my driveway. Outfitted it with everything I need to trip in her. NEVER got the chance to take her out until just this past July for a few days. Yes, she sat for more than a year in controlled storage. Yes, it was frustrating. Yes, it was finally great to get her out on the road. But, the reality of it is that I bought it to use when I retire...about 5 more years...so I'm ok with it sitting for as long as it takes me to take her out now and then. Afterall, she'll just be that much fresher when I do start the regular outings. So be it.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
I remember when our kids were little. We didn't have the free time from jobs to go off camping, so we'd go in the backyard, sit in the camper, pull the blinds and make up a story about where we were camping. The kids used their imaginations to take us to far away places. It can be a great escape.

We bought our Argosy in July and have yet to go anywhere. In a few weeks we will be on the lake, not far from home, enjoying time with our son who has been in S. Korea for the past year. We are really looking forward to that Maiden Voyage.
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:

You are 100% right about aviation. I tell people that all the time. Flying is no longer a hobby. I was let go a few years ago from a great job flying a King Air for a company. They sold the plane and didn't tell me for a month. I knew when the plane was gone. I'm very lucky I get paid ever time I turn my prop. I've been a aerial photographer for over 20 years now. Things have been slow for me since the economy has slowed. So I'm not out flying for that $100 hamburger anymore. My plane is paid for and I paid cash for my Airstream. I almost bought a new AS in 2008. I'm so glad now I didn't. I would of lost it if I was making payments. I am very blessed(or may be smart) I live within means. I have never had a car payment and I don't use credit cards. Please don't take this as preaching. Take it as a lesson on how to live. I sleep very good at nite not worrying about who I owe.

Ace in PA
aceflys, no problem, guy. I'm glad you enjoy your trailer and airplane so much. I was actually thinking of buying a vintage airplane at one time - now, that would be "crazy." They are a fortune to maintain. A bit too small to sleep in too. lol!

You must manage your life very well in this economy to have two nice toys and still be able to sleep well. I'm not making payments on my trailer either. If I had to borrow - I wouldn't have bought it. Without getting too personal, I was in a real rut. I have felt a lot better just having the trailer. Maybe it is that metaphor involving "escape."
Could it be that the thought of getting away someday can actually free a troubled mind? Maybe. I guess my psychiatric couch is aluminum.

Anyway, if you're a pilot, you're a good guy. I know how tough it is in the aviation biz right now, recreationally and otherwise. I have a very good friend who drives the B-737. His company does well, but the airline biz is still akin to doing triple-toe loops on thin ice.

Happy contrails - on and off the ground!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmclean View Post
I remember when our kids were little. We didn't have the free time from jobs to go off camping, so we'd go in the backyard, sit in the camper, pull the blinds and make up a story about where we were camping. The kids used their imaginations to take us to far away places. It can be a great escape.

We bought our Argosy in July and have yet to go anywhere. In a few weeks we will be on the lake, not far from home, enjoying time with our son who has been in S. Korea for the past year. We are really looking forward to that Maiden Voyage.
I like that.

I have a friend who writes for a RV rag. She has a camper vs. an Airstream, but wrote a great article about how the camper is her writing studio and emergency kitchen. She lives in an area with a lot of power outages. The morning of Thanksgiving, the power went out so she cooked her turkey dinner in the camper. When her guests arrived, they all dined in the camper too. They still say it was the best Thanksgiving!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Having read the above I'm even more happy that I got an Airstream. I've spent my life traveling the world and hope not to stop as I think we are all Pilgrims in our quest for adventure and learning.
I see people on this forum from every "walk of life", Military, Hippy's, Right wing, Left wing and all "points of the compass". We have boaters, aviators, desert and mountain folk who listen to all kinds of music. Surfers, race car teams, NASA, movie stars, politicians and the poor living in an old "beater" of an Airstream in a back lot in every state of the union....and probably in more than a few other countries than we suspect.
Does not matter your age, income, race or religion......just the fact that you are a believer in cozy living, a sense of community, and not afraid of a hard days work... thats is important.....it's the American Way that our forefathers envisioned.
Take it on the road or park it... it's all good.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We often sit out in the Airstream when she's on the driveway, sometimes to get away from the Tadpoles, sometimes after we've cleaned her or something, but mostly we sit in her just because we like it. Sure we'd prefer to be on the road but on the driveway is a pretty good second best.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote