Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Interesting...

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
Our main issue is that the twin mattresses. The mattress is wider than the platform.
I built similar to what is seen in this thread. It accomplished two things. One, I made it wider, to support the edge of the mattress, and Two, it provides airflow underneath, to prevent moisture/mold.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f34...od-204181.html

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I built similar to what is seen in this thread. It accomplished two things. One, I made it wider, to support the edge of the mattress, and Two, it provides airflow underneath, to prevent moisture/mold.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f34...od-204181.html
Get a dehumidifier when needed....extreme cold and/or warm-hot weather with lots of humidity...17 years, never had an issue with mold under my queen or twin beds in any of my AS's...and yes, I have used in all kinds of weather in several Southern and Northern states...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Get a dehumidifier when needed....extreme cold and/or warm-hot weather with lots of humidity...17 years, never had an issue with mold under my queen or twin beds in any of my AS's...and yes, I have used in all kinds of weather in several Southern and Northern states...
Nice!

One can still solve the twin bed frame width issue with the aforementioned modification. I did a similar modification in our 2019 rear twin and it has proven to be an excellent upgrade. No more rolling off the edge of our mattresses

We did have moisture under our twin beds, no mold, because we noticed it in time. I suspect some of it has to do with the interior layout/configuration. The rear twins come with storage compartments underneath half of them. I understand the cool air in those compartments coupled with the warmth and body heat on the mattress atop can indeed cause condensation.

Not too long ago I was at a dealership and looked under some new twins and Airstream had actually made a modification to the platform to provide for airflow transfer between the storage area and the bottom of the mattress, presumably to address the issue.

We do also have a dehumidifier, and use that in moisture producing conditions.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Not sure what to tell you. We almost purchased the twins due to the convenience and space. We decided on the queen so we could continue the intimacy of camping. The sideways layout in the 25FB wasn’t preferred until we spent our first night. You wake up looking out of windows surrounding 3 sides of the bed. And the sideways configuration gives you a greater feeling of privacy, your heads are tucked around the corner. ...no regrets!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I tried an experiment at home.
See if I could roll over in 36".
It wasn't easy, mostly due to my ample girth.
The queen for me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Nice!

One can still solve the twin bed frame width issue with the aforementioned modification. I did a similar modification in our 2019 rear twin and it has proven to be an excellent upgrade. No more rolling off the edge of our mattresses

We did have moisture under our twin beds, no mold, because we noticed it in time. I suspect some of it has to do with the interior layout/configuration. The rear twins come with storage compartments underneath half of them. I understand the cool air in those compartments coupled with the warmth and body heat on the mattress atop can indeed cause condensation.

Not too long ago I was at a dealership and looked under some new twins and Airstream had actually made a modification to the platform to provide for airflow transfer between the storage area and the bottom of the mattress, presumably to address the issue.

We do also have a dehumidifier, and use that in moisture producing conditions.
Yes, the dehumidifier has eliminated moisture on the walls and windows when in use...I recently forgot it when we went down to South Padre for a few days...wow...first night was terrible sleeping! I drove 35 miles to Brownsville Home Depot, bought a new GE model 20pint for the trip home which included a trip to Rockport for 3 days, then I returned it to HD...no questions asked.

Doesn't your 30' Classic have those raided spring like coils under the mattress now in the newer models so you don't need to use wooden slats? (We still lust over the 30' Classic for that sumptuous couch!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:16 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Doesn't your 30' Classic have those raided spring like coils under the mattress
We have an International, not a Classic. But as I said, I have seen some upgrades to the bed platform design in new models.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We used this marine system to create an airspace under the mattress in both the twin bed Classic and the 2015 23D International Serenity.. Simple to cut to fit and makes about a one inch air gap between the w2014 ood support bed and the bottom of the mattress. Bedding is wrapped under the mattress so no mildew issues and we have been in cold weather many times.

The material comes in a 39" wide roll that can be ordered up to 50 liniar feet long. Note that this is slightly wider than the twin mattresses in Airstreams It took two passes taped together for the 23D mattress. Big tin snips are the easiest way too cut to fit because of the thickness and the relative sharpness of the edges of the fiberglass springy stuff.

http://www.hyperventmarine.com

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
San Tan Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfling View Post
As we search for our new-to-us Airstream, we see there are more trailers with twin beds than queen beds...many of which are seemingly being sold by married couples. Why?

Are the queen beds surprisingly small or uncomfortable, compared to twins beds? While I love the Dick Van Dyke show, I don't like the idea of my wife and I sleeping in separate beds, but would love to hear other folks experiences and preferences on the topic before we buy.
We recently took delivery on our 30"FCRB and decided to get the twin beds vs the queen bed. Twins provide storage under each bed (vs the storage under the queen); twin beds give the interior a larger visual space (sometimes the queen beds make the interior look smaller); and finally, the twin beds are easier to make up.
Rabbit53 is offline   Reply With Quote