Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Question Truth or consequences

I really like this forum. Now I see a problem and I don't know what you think about the proper handling of it.

From time to time I see statements on this forum that are wrong information. I suspect I unintentionally have made some myself. We all probably do from time to time. So - my question to you is how do we handle this situation?

I normally just state it up front - ie I disagree with you because - - - Not good on the sensitive ones who generally give good dope. Don't want to shut anyone down but at the same time don't want bum information to misguide forum members.

So! whatcha think?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Follow The Golden Rule

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
David---It's pretty rare when it is important to correct someone's input. The person starting the thread and asking the question will look at all the responses and make their own judgement. Just keep your input positive. Start your post with-----In my experience, I have found that-------------. Then you are not correcting.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
I've found the best thing to do is have a cocktail, and quietly mumble to yourself, what an idiot. This allows the person to retain their dignity, and stupidity. T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We all have our opinions and our personal experiences. We share them openly. All posted here must be read with that in mind. We must realize that all that is posted here is done so with the best of intentions. On many of the issues dicussed here ther is no definitive right or wrong. We must all read the Forums with this tenet in mind.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sometimes I will just let it ride, if I think it will start WWIII. Otherwise, I just post my own experiences, whether they be the same or contrary, in a polite way. I've been known to post some wrong stuff (senior moments), and if someone catches it, that's great.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Uh, Terry, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your above statement. It has been my experience that you're never wrong.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
All good thoughts so far.
I agree with Terry, sometimes you just have to let it go when someone says something you don't agree with. There have been those times when I didn't follow this - to my regret or embarassment. It's never good to get down on an idiots level.

Another issue is common to all written communication. There is no voice inflection to hear, no body language to read. A very high (something like 60% IIRC) percentage of communication between people is non-verbal. This can have a huge impact on how well we are understood. Or misunderstood.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
My grandfather used to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
I really like this forum. Now I see a problem and I don't know what you think about the proper handling of it.

From time to time I see statements on this forum that are wrong information. ... So - my question to you is how do we handle this situation?

So! whatcha think?
Well, it depends. If it's someone that you think is sincerely wrong, you might follow the above suggestions. I think they're excellent.

On the other hand if you're SURE the guy is an idiot: (smile)
My grandfather used to say, "Never get in an argument with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference." Think about it.

All kidding aside, there is seldom an issue on the forum that doesn't find advocates passionately arguing their "side." From tires to tow vehicles, from size of TT to places to camp, or where to buy parts, people have strong opinions. Often someone is wrong. You just have to hope that people weigh the opinions carefully. I doubt you would want to get it the position of being the one to correct all the "wrong" posts. After all, we're all prone to be wrong occasionally, as you graciously admitted in your post.

I enjoy your posts.

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We all have our opinions and our personal experiences. We share them openly. All posted here must be read with that in mind. We must realize that all that is posted here is done so with the best of intentions. On many of the issues dicussed here ther is no definitive right or wrong. We must all read the Forums with this tenet in mind.
Hi fellow members; With the possibility of a two similar problems not being the same, it is very easy to have different opinions. What further divides that field, is the individual experiences and the level at which they are perceived.
One man may consider strapping something with a bungee cord and consider it a fix, while another man will use a fancy 1" nylon strap with a non corroding plastic black buckle, as opposed to white, which is UV sensitive.

Posts should not be considered as iron clad recommendation, because they may not be presented as such. If someone cannot tell the difference between right or wrong, perhaps he should hire someone to do the repair.
Our posts only express different views on particular problem. If you combine them and research the possibilities presented to you, perhaps than in your own mind you may find one that may fit your level of fix. On the other hand, out of all ideas presented to you, it is possible to come up with something new which no one has thought of, and it just came to you prompted by what you have read. Stimulation of mind is perhaps the most valuable benefit that you can derive from the forums, aside of having the ability to share someones knowledge and experience.

While we are the same, we are experts in a different fields. This is where we can help each other by leaning on another fellow members knowledge. If we had a answer for everything, would we be asking questions? My two engineering degrees may not have given me the opportunity to learn how to dump the black tank and so on. There is only a very small percentage of questions posted to which I can reply to, for the lack of experience with those issues. This is where I keep my mouth shut. There are areas in which I am capable to excel but unfortunately not many of them are related to AS.

I believe that it should be left to the individual choice to accept or dismiss one's opinion, but we cannot turn the forums into a battle zone of witt's as it has been done at times in the past. We must remember that it is possible that that someone else may know more than we do or understand, and criticism based only on difference of opinion is not a viable option. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Disagree and wrong are two different statments. A fact which is presented as correct and is wrong can get you hurt. Example weight of a trailer, capacity of a TV, using a match to find a propane leak. Disagree on what type of hitch to use, which truck is better, that is just personal and can never be resolved. I would correct wrong statements which are safety issues with facts and backup information, the disagreements can be discussed until you can't take it anymore.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Disagree and wrong are two different statments. A fact which is presented as correct and is wrong can get you hurt. Example weight of a trailer, capacity of a TV, using a match to find a propane leak. Disagree on what type of hitch to use, which truck is better, that is just personal and can never be resolved. I would correct wrong statements which are safety issues with facts and backup information, the disagreements can be discussed until you can't take it anymore.

Thanks Jim
Well now, I certainly don't disagree with your statement Jim. Right on target!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi fellow members;

...but we cannot turn the forums into a battle zone of witt's... Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Especially when, like me, you are only posessed of half of the wits you once held...

Roger
Attached Images

85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I could not resist posting this... Hope it does not offend...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troll.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	34485  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
That's an excellent poster! I chuckled out loud as I looked at it. We're really fortunate here that very, VERY infrequently do we actually see a troll. The vast majority of our members are just looking for other Airstream owners with which to exchange info and hang out. Occasionally members will really be passionate about one topic or another, but that's really ok. After all, when we meet at rallies we have those same discussions, and folks are folks. Many times those discussions can be educational as well.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
You said it, Boatdoc!

Quote:
...Our posts only express different views on particular problem. If you combine them and research the possibilities presented to you, perhaps than in your own mind you may find one that may fit your level of fix. someones knowledge and experience....

.... but we cannot turn the forums into a battle zone of witt's as it has been done at times in the past. We must remember that it is possible that that someone else may know more than we do or understand, and criticism based only on difference of opinion is not a viable option. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Wish I could have said it so well! He does bring up a really good and scary point. I think his example of someone checking for propane leaks is priceless. In a case like that I would think that everyone would agree that the poster needs to be alerted.

It's all about attitude and method. Even in the obvious dangerous situation like that, I hope none of us would come out with the tempting, "Hey, you idiot..."

Like the poster above said about doing unto others...

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Cool

I think this is what I gather from the responses.
1. If it is not a safety issue or something that could result in equipment failure. don't worry about correcting folks, Certainly not worth making folks mad.
2. If it is a safety issue or could cause equipment damage, Approach the issue diplomatically.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark

Thanks Jim
Hi Jim: I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I did not think that there would be individuals this days who would try to find a gas leak with a match or tow a 31' trailer with a donkey. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
tow a 31' trailer with a donkey. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
There is a new member here on the forums that recently towed a Sovereign from Alabama to Pennsylvania with a Ford Ranger. Just an example, and proof of what we are discussing.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
.......... but I did not think that there would be individuals this days who would try to find a gas leak with a match ........
Man, what kind of dolt would do that? Everyone knows a candle is better for that. A candle gives you more reach and wont burn out as easily. Some people, really!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote