Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Organ Donor Awareness

I'm attaching the link to a video that my wife made to promote organ donor awareness. She received a heart transplant in November after being on life support/waiting list for 5 1/2 months. Hopefully, we can get our AS back on the road with this all behind us now...

Please take a moment to watch the video and share with your family and friends.

Thanks,
mp
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL

beth and your team, i envy your strength! in 2006 i received a kidney and pancreas transplant. it took me 5 days to venture out of bed. after 40 years suffering the ravages of diabetes and 5.5 years of dialysis, my life was better that it had been in decades.

i too am grateful for the donor and family that made that difficult decision.

i also encourge everyone to discuss this subject with their family and friends. if you have more questions, discuss it with your doctor and clergy.

-- ricky
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I am so happy for everyone that has gotten their transplant. My mother had been on dialysis since Sept 2004 and just passed away 2 months tomorrow. We have been there every step of the way from the start of her kidney failure. My entire family was made aware of transplants through all of her illness. We are all donors now because of it. We tell everyone BE A DONOR. Thanks for the video it was great! I wish more celebs would worry about being donors, and stop all of the stupid things that come out about them like affairs, that would help out family so much more.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
It`s right on our drivers lic. here in Florida,can`t understand why anyone wouldn`t do it,I know when I`m dead I surely don`t need them any more,it would just be more ashes to throw in the Gulf. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's on the drivers license in Illinois, too, and we are donors. Sign a line, save lives.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
It`s right on our drivers lic. here in Florida,can`t understand why anyone wouldn`t do it,I know when I`m dead I surely don`t need them any more,it would just be more ashes to throw in the Gulf. Dave
It is on our Driver Licenses in Montana as well. I am a donor. We also have our End of life Registy designation on our Licenses (Living will).

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Military ID Cards

FYI, For those of you in the Military, becoming an organ donor is now an option when you renew your Military ID card as well.

I also suggest that you talk about your wishes with your family, as at a very difficult time for them, you will take the burden of deciding away and make the choice easier for them if it is your wishes.

Thanks to everyone that responded and watched Beth's video. Please keep spreading the word and sharing Beth's video in support of Organ Donor Awareness month.

r/Mike
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
In many states you can check a box on the back of your license indicating that you wish to be an organ donor. There are also organ donor organizations that provide cards. However, for many people, a mere check the box isn't sufficient. When you speak with people about making the commitment if they can more clearly specifiy what the do and don't want to donate, and under what circumstances, more people will tend to make the committment.

Everyone that ventures out in an RV should take along some key medical records and an original signed health care proxy and living will in case there is a problem along the way (and especially if you're full timing). As part of encouraging folks to protect themselves with the correct legal documents you should help eduate and encourage them to become organ donors when they complete their living will and health proxy. It is simple and as you so well point out, can save a life. Too many people get skittish about it or say that their religious beliefs prevent organ donations (that is often not true, religious beliefs do impact some of the details but they rarely prohibit organ donations entirely).

I posted a long explanation of what people should do with living wills and health proxies recently on a thread about first aid (if you really want to be prepared you need the right legal documents, not just band aides). You can find it by searching "health proxies" i think.

There are free forms people can access on www.laweasy.com (its a free legal site I host). If the samples there don't make the case strong enough or address organ donations let me know and i'll post more forms. If there is a way to give samples people on airforums can use i'd be happy to do that as well.

If there is a better way to advocate this noble goal on airforums let me know and i'd be happy to help.

I'll be posting a new thread on how we'll be using our Airstream travels to promote similar health causes, chronic illness in particular (Diabetes mentioned by one of you is certainly a major one). Perhaps our paths or goals will overlap. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Are you in the health care area, or the legal area?
Anything you can post on diabetes is greatly appreciated. We both are diabetics (currently diet & exercise controlled) but always are looking for more info. Especially recipes that are diabetic friendly, as well as heart healthy.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
i'm the lawyer, the wife's the doctor, and the dog in the tux.....well he's just cute! I'm not the one to give medical advice but if i can help with the other stuff i'd be happy to. We've got some great recipies that work .... maybe we should launch a trend for healthy eating happy hours (we'd probably get banished for that though!). We eat very clean and strict and feel great for it. Not sure others on airforums want to hear about our food though. Last weekend out we had homemade bean soup, apple crisp, salmon burgers, etc. Funny because the folks we camped with never use their oven. Glad to send recipies and trade them....but is this the place for that?

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote