Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Two years ago I had a guy who actually went to the courthouse and looked me up at the register of deeds. I got a letter from him with his phone # etc asking me if I would sell.
He seemed a bit crestfallen when I called him and said no, it wasn't for sale.
By the way, if anyone needed a safe place to boondock for a night or two my AS would probably appreciate a little company.
Near Aitkin in central MN. I am rarely there.

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
Funny story: Once we had someone ask if we would sell. He said I never see it move; I know you don't use it. I told him we just came back from a cross-country trip two weeks ago. Again, he said he never sees it move. So again, I told him we use it quite frequently. He again asserted we don't use it. Now a bit frustrated with the conversation I said we LOVE OUR TRAILER and would give him a number to call to buy new. But I did say everything is for sale make me an offer. He again asserted we don't use it, offering $4000. He was mad when I said no, we love and use our trailer. The conversation continued in the same fashion till he finally left.
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Well, it's got a flat tire...you obviously don't care about it.

I have had many notes left offering to buy our Bambi II, several people knock on the door, and once we came home from church to find people looking very closely at it in our driveway. They were sort of surprised to see us pull in, but waited to have a conversation with us.

Another person told us we should definitely sell it to him as it had a flat tire and we obviously didn't care about it. True- the tire was flat, but that was the least of our worries. We still love that little silver trailer. It is very much under slow reconstruction; and currently sits with no wheels or tires up on jack stands. My wife loves that!

I am thinking of putting a "NO" sign in the back window (facing the road). A former student's father did the same with his Corvette- all dusty in his barn-and the lookers relented.

Truth be told, though, I don't get so frustrated with lookers as I used to. I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. I recently sent a letter to the owner of a rough, rough 1963 Bambi asking if it is for sale. It is stored out behind a college rental house that he owns and one of the tenants gave me his contact info, so I sent the letter. Why not...the worst he can say is no.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Well said Bambi II.
I get that on my tractors fairly often.
Like you, if someone sees an item I have and it isn't adertised for sale they really do need to be first to name a price.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Jerry,

Wow, no posts for six months and then 3 in less than a week! I may get up to Aitken this summer and would love to stop and visit.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love threads like this. I can't hold any ill will towards those hopeful folks who knock on doors, I have done the same. Right now I know of a 20ft Argosy Motorhome that hasn't moved in at least 6 years (believe me, there's no question about the lack of movement this poor motorhome has seen recently), and a 65 Mustang fastback that's rotting away under a weatherbeaten tarp, and if I had any money to spare I'd go knock on their doors just for the heck of it. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We've had people ask. And had a person stop by to ask if we knew answer to one of his questions about his own Airstream.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Oh! Just remembered we saw an older Airstream sitting in a front yard on Highway 65 in Arkansas (near Harrison or Marshal?) and it had a huge sign on it, NOT for Sale! Apparently since its on a busy highway toward Branson, he'd had enough of folks knocking on his door.

Everybody wants a 'Stream - one of the cool things about owning one.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Last fall we attended the Missouri Heartland Owner's Club Rally in Branson. There was an important business meeting at our church in Bolivar Sunday right after church, so we had our mpg there. We gave several tours, but one man missed out. A couple of weeks later he said that he would be interested in buying it when we wanted to sell. Two months ago he said he wants to buy it this fall!Keep in mind that he hasn't even set foot it it yet.

If he actually follows through, though, we'll be glad to sell and buy an Airstream. No, it won't be out retirement coach, but it will really give us a chance to see whether an Airstream would be the right choice for us.

BTW, a few years ago a tornado demolished quite a few houses near us. One of those houses was replaced by an Airstream, which hasn't moved since it was parked there. A replacement house is now on the property, and the Airstream is still there. One of these days I might just stop in and talk to them about it.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
A few years ago I was looking for a boat trailer for my puddle jumper. A fella told of one down the road setting in a weed patch so I stopped in and asked the lady if she would sell. She said what would you give. I looked at it and found it to be pretty rough, plus it had an old alumninum boat on top of it. I told her it would need alot of work, and I didn't want the boat but I would give $25. She said ok, but I would have to take the boat also. I took the boat to the scrap yard and got $75 for it. That may never happen again.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M
Funny story: Once we had someone ask if we would sell. He said I never see it move; I know you don't use it. I told him we just came back from a cross-country trip two weeks ago. Again, he said he never sees it move. So again, I told him we use it quite frequently. He again asserted we don't use it. Now a bit frustrated with the conversation I said we LOVE OUR TRAILER and would give him a number to call to buy new. But I did say everything is for sale make me an offer. He again asserted we don't use it, offering $4000. He was mad when I said no, we love and use our trailer. The conversation continued in the same fashion till he finally left.
You are a very patient man. That conversation would have ended the second time he said it wasn't used, if I had been involved. I am never offended by offers of cold hard cash, no matter how low, but childish negotiating tactics drive me crazy. Since I refuse to get mad at anything anymore, I'm pretty quick to walk away.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
In going through my late grandparents belongings, I found no fewer than half a dozen notes that had been left on the door interested in purchasing their AS. I have t thrown them away (who knows how old some may be) but I am really thankful they never called the people back.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Left a note to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
.............Anyone else have someone leave a note offering to buy? ...........
So far there have been no notes asking to buy, however I do get many compliments wherever we go.

On the other hand, when I first saw an ASLYG MH parked on my storage lot back in 2006, I knew I had to have one.

I left a note on the window of the MH and the owner gave me a call. He proudly gave me a tour of his rig.

The next summer, after missing out on one in California I found one in TX and bought it.

We have had a lot of fun since then and continue to do so.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote