Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
New 2012 Airstream back at the dealer for warranty work

We took our 2021 27' International into the dealer (Katy, TX) for warranty work today (4 hour trip -one way). Unfortunately we were only able to take one long trip before it needed to go into the shop. We love the Airstream and I expected a few small hiccups but I believe when you pay over $130K for trailer, overall quality should be a little bit better.

Number 4 on the list is one that bothers me the most. Fortunately my wife had taken pictures of the unit while we were taking delivery and the creases and bends in the front outside aluminum section of the trailer (under the storage compartment-both sides) were there. I'm afraid that repair will keep the trailer in the shop longer than we would like.

Here's he needed repairs under warranty:

1) Outside porch light does not work.
2) Kitchen Faucet fixture broken from vibration.
3)Hatch door lock/opener broken. Hatch door will not open.
4)Creases in front outside aluminum panel where it meets the frame. This was there prior to purchase. Unfortunately we and the dealer didn't catch this.
5)Water heater in shower does not work. Cold showers on our 5,000 mile trip!
6)Pump make noises.
7)Frame jack makes loud noises while retracting.
8) Missing trim (inside)

Hopefully we'll get it back soon. We were planning too use it this fall.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Is the hatch mentioned on item 3 the front hatch where the creases are? Is so, the jammed hatch could be a side effect of the problem with the creases.

Can you share photos of the creases?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
How loud is the pump? Did you boondock?
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Is the hatch mentioned on item 3 the front hatch where the creases are? Is so, the jammed hatch could be a side effect of the problem with the creases.

Can you share photos of the creases?
The hatch door (#3 on the list) is the rear hatch door upgrade. I have attached a picture of one side of the front that has the crease. This is a picture that my wife took and you can see the Dealer AS Tech in the picture showing us how to use the hitch. Which he had caught the problem with the crease/bends while he was showing us the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	403967  
Old 09-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Not sure this is any consolation, but my first trip was to JC for warranty work after a year of ownership. 51 issues from small to large—and they took care of just about every one of them.

There will be more items to address after you use the trailer for a bit—I think it’s been mentioned that the trailer undergoes a 6.1 earthquake when it is being towed. At some point during the warranty period you’ll realize it’ll be easier on your emotional well-being to fix stuff yourself than to get worked up about the quality of the trailer (not saying you are). Regardless of how much money you spent on your Airstream, it’s part of the game. Other than cramped-quarters access, a lot of it is not unlike fixing stuff in your house.

On the pump making noises, have them install a silencer kit (which is basically flexible hose at the pump connections) and an accumulator. The pump will run less and will be noticeable only in complete silence.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHUDS22 View Post
How loud is the pump? Did you boondock?
We used the pump under the advise of a customer service rep a Airstream Corporate to attempt to increase the hot water pressure in the shower to see if that would resolve one of our issues. Pump was loud.

We have also used the pump while stoping on the side of the road (lunch break) with water in the clean water tank. Pump was louder than normal with lots of vibration.

We had a 22' Sport in the past and pump wasn't as near as loud as this one.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Not sure this is any consolation, but my first trip was to JC for warranty work after a year of ownership. 51 issues from small to large—and they took care of just about every one of them.

There will be more items to address after you use the trailer for a bit—I think it’s been mentioned that the trailer undergoes a 6.1 earthquake when it is being towed. At some point during the warranty period you’ll realize it’ll be easier on your emotional well-being to fix stuff yourself than to get worked up about the quality of the trailer (not saying you are). Regardless of how much money you spent on your Airstream, it’s part of the game. Other than cramped-quarters access, a lot of it is not unlike fixing stuff in your house.

On the pump making noises, have them install a silencer kit (which is basically flexible hose at the pump connections) and an accumulator. The pump will run less and will be noticeable only in complete silence.
Thanks for the response. You're definitely right about the 6.1 earthquake shaking. The only item that bothers me the most is the creases in the front body panel. Mostly because I was informed this could take months to get it fixed at the dealer.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
Thanks for the response. You're definitely right about the 6.1 earthquake shaking. The only item that bothers me the most is the creases in the front body panel. Mostly because I was informed this could take months to get it fixed at the dealer.

You’ve probably read several people report that this is a sign of frame separation.

I had it addressed at JC and it took a (very) full day—the tech told me what’s involved and it’s a lot. But my understanding is that they have someone dedicated to this task and probably tools and procedures for dealing with it efficiently. But (again, probably not much consolation) it’s good that this is happening to your trailer early, during the warranty period. Once it is addressed you won’t have to worry about it again (it’s a long-running production flaw from what I understand).
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Carmel , IN
I am niave

Will they give you a loaner, if you want to go out for a trip?
vchowdry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I had those front hatch door cracks on my first 2009 trailer. Turns out my F350 suspension and 1200# weight distribution bars were way too stiff for the trailer. The combination was literally beating the trailer to death. Think of your TV as the handle of a hammer and the trailer as the head. What is the TV/WD ratings of your set up?
Old 09-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchowdry View Post
Hi

I've never heard of that being done.

With things like those creases (from who knows what source), you can wait on a fix, or you can go camping. Unless somebody can tell that there is a frame issue, I'd assume it got set a bit to tight when assembled. It will get fixed.

Right now most places are looking at January through March for repair appointments. That's just how their scheduling and staffing are set up. Even a few years back, this sort of timing was not unusual. Any "need to come back" repair is going to hit this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I had those front hatch door cracks on my first 2009 trailer. Turns out my F350 suspension and 1200# weight distribution bars were way too stiff for the trailer. The combination was literally beating the trailer to death. Think of your TV as the handle of a hammer and the trailer as the head. What is the TV/WD ratings of your set up?
I doubt that matters in this case since it was damaged BEFORE he towed it off the dealer lot.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #13
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I had issues with the porch light on our 2019 International. It took three trips to the dealer before it was finally fixed once and for all.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchowdry View Post
I haven't heard of any dealer doing this. RVs are considered optional luxury items, not something needed so they are not required to offer loaners. Also most dealers have very few RVs in stock now to offer even if they wanted to and the way things are now some dealers would need 100s of loaners IF they did that.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Sorry for your trouble. This seems to me to be bordering on the Lemon Law coming into play. You might want to consider that.
I just took possession of my 2022 International FBQ. So far the only issue that has come up is that my hitch ball clamp is malfunctioning. Colonia Airstream said they've been having issues with them. So I'll be back there in a few weeks to have it looked at.
Good luck.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
My Safari had all of the same issues when I bought it new in ‘08.Dealers still short-sheet the customer.I fixed 90% of the issues myself.Toooo far to Jackson Center to have them fix the issues that should have been done before initial delivery.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
If that is the extent your punch list; you got one of the better ones.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Think of your TV as the handle of a hammer and the trailer as the head. What is the TV/WD ratings of your set up?
Fortunately the damage was done before I pulled away with it from the dealer (yes it was brand new).

With that being said, my TV is a 21 F250 King Ranch FX4. The dealer set up the Blue OX Sway Pro.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
We used the pump under the advise of a customer service rep a Airstream Corporate to attempt to increase the hot water pressure in the shower to see if that would resolve one of our issues. Pump was loud.

We have also used the pump while stoping on the side of the road (lunch break) with water in the clean water tank. Pump was louder than normal with lots of vibration.

We had a 22' Sport in the past and pump wasn't as near as loud as this one.
Ok, I changed shower head to oxygenics solved some of the pressure issue, all of these pumps are noisy but I'm not there to hear it so can't comment much more, ours is not as noisy as our last camper.
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Richmond , Virginia
I’ve had a 2022 FC 25RBT for 3 weeks and I’ve been tightening bolts for that long. I’m just going through and making sure everything is good. So far, the low point drain handles had almost fallen off and an acorn nut was missing from an awning arm. It pays to double-check everything you can. I’ve been removing panels and photographing everything as well in case something comes loose while I’m out. I’ll be able to review photos for reference.

I found gouges in my vinyl floor. The tech at AS of VA removed my fridge to install the Airstream Connected antenna and router and I’m guessing he did it then because I have photos of everything before I took delivery and they aren’t visible. Luckily the new flooring hides stuff well so a little vinyl repair and you’ll never see it. I’m not sure how they’d fix this without removing everything inside and replacing flooring. I’m still waiting to hear from their service department about it.

Anyone ever had their vinyl repaired in a late-model trailer?
kiere is offline   Reply With Quote