Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
AirstreamNewbie

2021 27' Globetrotter
Westfield , New Jersey
How Long Is The Wait?

Hi, I’m an Airstream noobie and hope I’m in the right place. We ordered our new 27’ Globetrotter at the beginning of March 2021. It was supposed to be delivered in September in time for a trip to Albuquerque. The date has now slipped into October and really is indefinite? Does anyone have information on how far Airstream production is behind? Like a kid waiting for Christmas.
NJStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The delays seem to vary from model to model. Yours might have a fridge in it that all of a sudden has a longer than expected delivery. There are folks here who waited a *very* long time for their orders over the last year. I have personal experience with Ford not being able to predict this stuff very well these days....

What the dealer gets is a "factory done" date. They then add a guess at the transport time to their location. On a larger trailer this generally involves a guy with a pickup truck towing it from the factory to the dealer. There have been cases of them simply running out of folks to do this.

Dealers may well be getting tired of disappointing customers deliver wise. Some of them might be pushing out all delivery estimates as a result. It's generally a lot easier to call up and say "your new trailer got here early" than to tell folks that it's pushed out by three weeks on the day it was supposed to arrive.

Best bet: don't book any trips before about mid to end of November.

Hopping in any brand new RV for a long trip is not a great idea. There will always be learning on the new vehicle. There will be this and that to buy as you work things out. There can be things to fix. Some of them might be "go to the dealer issues".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Hi,

We ordered our 2022 27FCT around March 1st. Were told by Patrick at Colonial Airstream it would not even go into production until sometime in September and to plan on a mid October delivery taking into account transportation to the dealership and their make ready process. We will be using our SOB this summer. I agree with Uncle Bob in that we have not booked any trips for the rest of the year. Disappointing to be sure but in these times it is to be expected and worth the wait.

We are hoping that it comes in around October/November time as this would allow us to take a few short local shakedown "cruises" before it got too cold. If that happens great. If now we'll just go with the flow.
2011 Jayco 304BHK
GBandBONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We're actually in delivery limbo land 2 ways with Ford for the early summer and with Airstream and an SOB for the fall. Lots of ambiguity from lots of directions .....

While we can get all sorts of terrific fine detail information out of Ford, it's all meaningless. Your vehicle went into production two weeks ago. Ok, when will it come out of that status? We don't know, but best guess is late July ..... hmmm...... Initial promise was in May.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There was a story in the news a few days ago. Thor's North American and European operations have booked 14 billion dollars in orders. Every unit they can produce already has a buyer.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
You paid the big bucks to the dealer, they should be able to pinpoint your answer.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
That's not the New Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
You paid the big bucks to the dealer, they should be able to pinpoint your answer.

They SHOULD, but that's not how it works, post pandemic. Two Dexter Torflex Axles SHOULD have taken 6 to 8 weeks. It took 12 and I was expecting 14 weeks.

One would have better luck looking for a used one. At least you'll know it's available the day your check clears.
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Latham , New York
Similar to the op, we placed our order near the beginning of March with a guess of a Sept/Oct delivery. Recently the latest estimate was updated to to early November.
WhatNext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Delays

The dealer here in San Diego saaid "realistically" they are telling people to expect one year and be plesed if it comes sooner.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
AirstreamNewbie

2021 27' Globetrotter
Westfield , New Jersey
How Long Is The Wait

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. It has been very helpful. I am taking to heart your advice to do fairly local shake down cruises, before heading out on a big adventure. Thanks again!
NJStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Marietta , Georgia
Long wait times

I ordered a classic last July with an estimate of a mid January delivery. It arrive in early June - about 50 weeks. Classics and globetrotters are on a slower production line, so it may not apply to your FC.

However, I have a business that supplies Dometic, and I know they have had serious supply chain delays that impact all RV manufacturers. Also, Airstream has had unprecedented demand, so their lead times are pretty long and there are still Covid related supply chain issues.

I hope you get yours quicker than ours. But on the other hand, by not rushing the production, so far, we have a trouble free trailer.

Good luck!
pwakeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
We ordered last year, told about 6 month wait. Took almost 7. For what it's worth our dealer says the back log has been reduced. No real details, he is hoping to see some "stock" deliveries by the end of this year. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
You can bypass all the non-sense and literally call Airstream direct, tell them who your dealer is, who you are, and then ask them if they have a production date (or estimated start date) on the schedule. I did it for mine and got the exact answers I was looking for. At that time, you could take the free factory tour and possibly see your unit being built while on the tour...we were lucky to see ours 2 out of the 3 days we where there.

Moral of the story, make the call......don't let anyone tell you different. You'll have a straight answer right from the horse's mouth.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStu View Post
Hi, I’m an Airstream noobie and hope I’m in the right place. We ordered our new 27’ Globetrotter at the beginning of March 2021. It was supposed to be delivered in September in time for a trip to Albuquerque. The date has now slipped into October and really is indefinite? Does anyone have information on how far Airstream production is behind? Like a kid waiting for Christmas.
We ordered the Atlas in May for a December delivery, now informed will be first of January. So, guy below is right saying it depends on the model. In our case Atlas shrugged, pun intended. He may continue to shrug into the spring!?
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote