Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Step is difficult to deploy - Help!

My step assembly works fine except that it is very difficult to deploy/ lower. Is there an easy way to fix this problem? I know, Airstreams are rarely easy to work on, but hey, I thought I'd ask.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I find that driving down the road makes my step deploy.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
well...seems like our '70 model, when the step is up underneath- and your ready to let it down, you grab right in the center of the metal facing plate- and pull it towards you and the step lets go and swings down into place. And you kind of have to work it for a minute to get it to go. Then push it back up- lay down on something clean and check out how it works up underneath. Yours may be different (????) but that is how a '70 model works.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
It should drop down without a problem if you lift up on it and just let go. To retract push the step back and up toward the body until latches.The second step sometimes is a mystery both coming out and then folding back. To get the second step to deploy, grab it at the back and flip it out towards you, gravity should do the rest. Getting the second step folded back can be weird and I do not remember how I get it back in. It is a learning experience each and everytime. I avoid deploying the second step unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of the time if the ground is fairly level you only need one step. I have found in mine that the bearing point where the hinge arms support the second step has worn down so the step is slightly tilted down. Solved that problem by dropping a common nail on each side in the gap created when you lift the step to level. Of course you have to retreive the nails before you can retract the step. If your step will not deploy or retract easily I would check for bent or corroded parts. www.odmrv.com stocks parts to rebuild the steps.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Step Deployment

You didn't say if you had the steel step or the classic aluminum step since each operate differently. However, both will work better with some basic clean up and lubrication. Clean every moving part and joint on the step with WD-40. Use this stuff liberally, work all the parts back and forth then wipe any residue. Repeat step one. Then lubricate the same areas with white lithium grease. Same technique, spray liberally, work the parts, then wipe residue. This should make the steps work more smoothly.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I used PB blaster to lub every hinge part of the steps. I find that its always been a bear to get them deployed. I always forget over winter and have to learn all over again. I cant remember which part folds first.
Good Luck
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

1971 31' Sovereign
Poulsbo , Washington
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I find that driving down the road makes my step deploy.
You gave me my laugh for the day! That is hilarious! My steps wont deploy at all but with my luck, I am sure once I fix them that they will deploy while driving down the road too. Thanks for the laugh!
mybloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rockville , Maryland
My step was pretty much frozen in place after sitting deployed for many years. I managed to hammer it in (judiciously) so I could move the trailer. All the pieces seem to be there, but I am not sure how to proceed.

There is a little handle sticking out of the trailer body just forward of the step. It moves up and down but can't see that it makes any difference in the operation.

Are there any step by step (no pun intended!) instructions anywhere for getting at the mechanism?

md

p.s. I was shocked to see that a replacement set of steps costs about half what I paid for the trailer!
doctormark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormark View Post

md

p.s. I was shocked to see that a replacement set of steps costs about half what I paid for the trailer!
If you think that's bad, wait til you need a window, as some of them cost more than the double aluminum footstep.

But, after all, it's just a part of owning an Airstream, as is the many enjoyments from ownership, of one or two.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote