Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
spoke to a couple AS dealers. You can order the Thule single step for the Bambi but it's crazy expensive ($350-$450) and you will have to drill new holes in the frame to make it work. To me it's not worth it. I'll just stick with the black steel step that came with my Bambi. I spray-painted over the rust with black paint and looks a bit better. Not nearly as sharp as the new Thule step they use, but it's the best I can do given I just spent over $40k on the trailer..
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
My husband installed the Thule step on our 1986 Sovereign. It wasn’t a clean swap, in that it required some minor mods to the steps and to the bodywork. But it was a doable day’s DYI for him. Ordered it for under $200 on eBay from Germany, I believe. It is so much better than that old step—more stable, safer.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:53 AM   #23

San Carlos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I replaced the flimsy single step on our Bambi with a nice Lippert aluminum double step. The holes underneath lined up, though I made support brackets to stiffen it up. This was a really nice upgrade. The steps are wide and smooth and the casing is much more substantial than the stock step.

I wanted to do the same on our 23FB however the bolt holes do not line up. The Lippert is 24" wide which is what the Bambi was and seems to be the industry standard.but the stock unit on the 23FB is just shy. its like the holes are about .25" off. This slight difference has complicated the installation of the new step on the 23FB. Not only do I have holes that are not aligned but I will have to trim about .25" off of the belly pan to make the Lippert fit.

I may have a professional do the install. I don't think I want to get involved with trimming the bellypan.

I would suggest you measure the existing step and the opening. The Lippert step is 24".
You are correct, they are a hair too wide. Although they are 24” wide, they will not work. I tried and decided to keep my single step.
SafariJoe55 is offline   Reply With Quote