Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #21

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
Make sure you get advice from people with real world experience, and not just an opinion. George and Nomad airstream in Plattsburgh NY said no problem
Flying tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Marshall , Virginia
I have a 27FB and fabricated a 2" hitch receiver from the plates that hang from rear frame. I then transfer the hitch to the TV reciever for local use. I have not had any issues with sway. This is the second trailer that I have used this arrangement. I had a local welder fabricate it from drawings I provided. I can provide sketch and picture if requested.
Bill2535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
I think there may be a lot of FUD in this topic. The promotional photos for our ‘14 27FB show a motorcycle inside the trailer. All that weight is strapped down behind the rear axle. Yes. The lever arm is shorter than hanging a bike rack out the back but 5-700lb vs 75? I don’t think a bike rack and couple bikes alone is going to wipe out the trailer or set up sway. If reputable Airstream dealers like Can-Am are quite happy to install a 2” receiver on the back, I think there may be a little too much ‘over-think’ going on.
Then again, Airstreamers do seem to be lean somewhat conservative on most topics I read. (Philosophy, not politics).
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I like the discussion we're having here. Some very good points all around, which hopefully will lead to a sound setup. Surely more useful than the WD hitch discussions we often have.

While there is some FUD, I do agree that caution and consideration should be exercised. I do recall a thread in regards to a smaller TV and trailer, hanging a families worth of bikes off the back, and having significant stability issues.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I'm familiar with the "approved" methods such the Fiama rack in the rear, or Arvika over the propane tanks. Neither of these are for me as they both are proprietary solutions that I can't relocate to use on the tow vehicle alone when when we arrive at our destination.
If your only concern about the Arvika over the propane tank product is the ability to relocate to use on the tow vehicle alone, they have a solution. It's called the 7000-H2 adapter. It slides into a 2" receiver and has a means to attach their 7000 series rack to it.

See this link for the installation instructions: http://www.arvika.ca/en/wp-content/u...rsion-2017.pdf

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #26
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
As long as you don't exceed a total weight of 77 lbs., incl. hitch fabrication and bikes, you should be fine IMO, assuming also that you can keep the center of gravity of the added weight in the same approx. location as the Fiamma rack, relative to the rear axle. [over the rear bumper storage area]

Threads to read about sway issues incl. excessive weight:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-156615.html
. . . [See Post #94 for the OP's description of this roll-over]

In my personal opinion, if you have a rear awning, the weight should be deducted from the allowable 77 lbs. total for the bikes/rack/etc..

Good luck,

Peter

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE : DO NOT DO IT!!!!! Trust me, DO NOT DO IT!!

Here is my thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I like the discussion we're having here. Some very good points all around, which hopefully will lead to a sound setup. Surely more useful than the WD hitch discussions we often have.

While there is some FUD, I do agree that caution and consideration should be exercised. I do recall a thread in regards to a smaller TV and trailer, hanging a families worth of bikes off the back, and having significant stability issues.
Over analysis induces paralysis. And if there is a site you will be subjected to it is this one.
I have fabricated my own receiver out of light weight high strength steel.
I mounted it inside the skid plate and it comes out flush under and even with the rear bumper. 2.5" tubing with a flange welded on each end that slides into the skid channel bolted in place with 4 SS bolts. The assembly weighs 22 lbs.
The Fiama is bolted on the outside, same location. I purchased a Sari bike rack. The entire affair including our two bikes weighs 123 Lbs.
I never liked the looks of the Fima, it reminds me of a close drying rack and can't take it of and use it on the truck.
And no my floor hasn't separated, the rear end of the trailer didn't warp and I have yet experience a violent sway event because of it. Despite the fact that my normal interstate cruising speed is 72 MPH and I pass a lot of trucks.
Had it on our 30' International 3 years and I installed it on our new 2017 30' Classic.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Over analysis induces paralysis. And if there is a site you will be subjected to it is this one.
I have fabricated my own receiver out of light weight high strength steel.
I mounted it inside the skid plate and it comes out flush under and even with the rear bumper. 2.5" tubing with a flange welded on each end that slides into the skid channel bolted in place with 4 SS bolts. The assembly weighs 22 lbs.
The Fiama is bolted on the outside, same location. I purchased a Sari bike rack. The entire affair including our two bikes weighs 123 Lbs.
I never liked the looks of the Fima, it reminds me of a close drying rack and can't take it of and use it on the truck.
And no my floor hasn't separated, the rear end of the trailer didn't warp and I have yet experience a violent sway event because of it. Despite the fact that my normal interstate cruising speed is 72 MPH and I pass a lot of trucks.
Had it on our 30' International 3 years and I installed it on our new 2017 30' Classic.

Name:   IMG_1688.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:   IMG_1686.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:   IMG_1685.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  115.3 KB
I have not weighed this set up as I have just purchased this trailer. Leave on or take off? There is also a 2” receiver between the spares that would accept a commercial bike rack.
tujeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Marshall , Virginia
This is the second one I have had made. The first was on a 23' with the narrow frame. The current one is on our 27' with a rear lift gate. I use a Yakama swing bike rack. I can swing the rack so lift gate opens without removing. The following sketch is specific for my rig so all measurements must be field verified. I have not experienced any problems with two bikes.
photos did not post email me direct for photo and sketch :wworr@wildblue.net
Bill2535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujeeze View Post
. . .
I have not weighed this set up as I have just purchased this trailer. Leave on or take off? There is also a 2” receiver between the spares that would accept a commercial bike rack.
Thanks for the photos. Is it fairly easy to remove the entire assembly from the twin hitch receiver tubes? You could weigh the tires, and the removed assembly, separately and add about 20-30 lbs. +/- for the receiver tubes that are still attached to the AS. The grand total would probably be over 200 lbs. IMO, perhaps higher, and might get you into the zone of the Quebec Rollover event. [See quote and photos below]

The total weight in excess of 102 lbs. would be the "risk factor" in the mind of Airstream, and of your insurance company, in the event of a sway-induced accident [allegedly] caused by the excess weight IMO.

Peter

Quote:
If the assembly is over the revised weight calculation of 102 lbs. in Post #11, you should probably consider removing it IMO.
. . .

[click on arrow in quote to go to the Quebec Rollover thread -- the first link in Post #3 here]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Worst.
Idea.
Ever.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
First off, Andy would tell you that the frames simply can’t deal with the load, transfer stress to the coach, and it will break.
Structurally, there’s nowhere else but on the tongue. So I hang my 2 bikes on an Arvika.ca.
Our 22’ rear kitchen 05 Safari had a crack about halfway through the curbside frame. JC sent repair plates. Which my neighbor welded to the frame. As I remember it was a C Channel iron frame. Frames and coach are integrated structurally. Don’t add stress to a system that’s already balanced delicately, and essentially handmade.

Suck it up and buy a purpose- built tool and do it right the first time.
It cost me a lot of time and money to learn that lesson.
See ya down the road. jsutro
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying tulip View Post
Make sure you get advice from people with real world experience, and not just an opinion. George and Nomad airstream in Plattsburgh NY said no problem
Is it a coincidence that Nomad is no longer in business?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:03 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now, as for hanging "stuff" off the back of an Airstream. The reason the Fiama bike rack is so complex (and expensive) is because it is designed to place most of the load on the body, not the frame. On an Airstream, the body supports the frame, not the other way around. If you add more weight than the design calls for to the frame, you run the very real risk of damaging the frame. The older models were much worse in this regard, having much weaker frames than more current models. I have still seen newer units with receivers and other appurtenances tacked on the frame, and many of them showed signs of separation or other damage.
In short, depending on what you come up with, it will probably be okay--unless it isn't.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #34
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
See links and revision @ 102 lbs. in Post #11.

Yes, I saw that - but that is the limits for the bike rack - NOT for an Airstream per se.

There is a big difference. What the OP needs is the AS limit for rear bumper carry loads for any type of carrier - bike, cargo, etc.

I know that the older AS & vintage kin the capacity was more than 102 lbs., & they could mount carriers other than the current AS recc'ed Fiamma. This may be a function of more weight in the newer AS's &/or lighter bumper/frame components.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #35
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2535 View Post
This is the second one I have had made. The first was on a 23' with the narrow frame. The current one is on our 27' with a rear lift gate. I use a Yakama swing bike rack. I can swing the rack so lift gate opens without removing. The following sketch is specific for my rig so all measurements must be field verified. I have not experienced any problems with two bikes.
photos did not post email me direct for photo and sketch :wworr@wildblue.net
I was advised by Fiamma not to use their Swing Daddy that I got for our 88 VW Westfalia CamperGL van on the back of our Avion T20 cuz the bounce was too much. They have another new swing model which may be okay, but check with Fiamma for yours.

I've seen other ASs & vintage kin with single point 2" hitch mounted cargo racks that bounce around a lot while towing on even freeway surfaces!

So using tie-down straps at L & R ends to the bumper/frame at the sides/ends with any hitch mounted bike rack is important (same with cargo racks i would presume).

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Now, as for hanging "stuff" off the back of an Airstream. The reason the Fiama bike rack is so complex (and expensive) is because it is designed to place most of the load on the body, not the frame. On an Airstream, the body supports the frame, not the other way around. If you add more weight than the design calls for to the frame, you run the very real risk of damaging the frame. The older models were much worse in this regard, having much weaker frames than more current models. I have still seen newer units with receivers and other appurtenances tacked on the frame, and many of them showed signs of separation or other damage.
In short, depending on what you come up with, it will probably be okay--unless it isn't.
With all due respect, your statement that the body supports the frame makes no sense at all. The wheels support the axles, the axles support the frame and everything else on top of the frame is supported by it.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujeeze View Post
Attachment 298210Attachment 298211Attachment 298212
In close to four years of having my bike rack mounted the same way as this appears to be, I haven't experienced any problems. My setup complete weighs 122 lbs.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #38
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
With all due respect, your statement that the body supports the frame makes no sense at all. The wheels support the axles, the axles support the frame and everything else on top of the frame is supported by it.
That would be true if it wasn’t, as described by Airstream, a semi monocoque.

semi-monocoque
adjective

relating to or denoting aircraft or vehicle structures combining a load-bearing shell with integral frames.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Smile 2 bike rack

I just returned home last week after being gone since June 1rst. Before I left I had a hitch custom welded/bolted to the back of my 75 International. It is a 2 inch receiver. I purchased a light weight 2-bike rack with a 1 inch bar and a 2 inch adapter. Both our bikes are very light weight. The hitch lowered my clearance which did in fact hit the ground a number of times, but because I knew of the situation I always went very slow in and out of curbed businesses. I put on 8,000 miles and the only problem I had was a pedal scraped off on of the cheap lock sets that came on the locking bar. After that I just used a rope lock with out incident. Take your bikes with you! They give you a whole new dimension to your trip taking you places you would have missed on foot or car. Not to mention the great excersize.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That would be true if it wasn’t, as described by Airstream, a semi monocoque.

semi-monocoque
adjective

relating to or denoting aircraft or vehicle structures combining a load-bearing shell with integral frames.
An Airstream trailer is not a Unibody Construction . Its a Shell on Frame.