Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Reese dual cam sway - fit???

Just bought a Reese dual cam sway control on ebay. Does anyone know if I will need to make modifications to use the reese due to the propane tank location on the 78 Excella??

Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Craig!

I can't say whether you will meet with any interference with your propane tank support frame with the '78 model. My '64 posed no problem with any of the hitch components. What you may encounter is difficulty with the mounting brackets. To my knowledge there are three different sizes relating to the three common dimensions of steel beams used in the "A" frame of hitches on different make/model trailers. For my '64 Overlander, I needed the smallest of the brackets; and on my Minuet the "intermediate" size. Trying to use a size larger than needed for your coach will make the system more difficult to adjust properly.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Reese dual cam sway - fit???

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
Just bought a Reese dual cam sway control on ebay. Does anyone know if I will need to make modifications to use the reese due to the propane tank location on the 78 Excella??

Thanks!
You may need to make some adjustments. I know my dealer had to drill through the bottle bottom plate on my Safari to mount the U-bolts. I made a small foam spacer which sits the bottles up just slightly so the U-bolt top doesn't touch the bottom of the gas bottle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I modified the snap-up brackets on my DualCam. Cut some of the steel off the front side of them, not too much, just enough without weakening them. Needed to get them as close as possible to the back edge of the propane bottles so the chains would be straighter up and down. Another forum member was able to referr me to the Reese website which has the install and setup instructions. You must set it up properly in order for it to work correctly.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
The older Reese system allowed little margin for adjustment in the location of the dual cam brackets. The length of your weight distributing bars determined the placement because the swing arm from the saddle to where the bracket mounts underneath the a-frame was a fixed length.

FWIW, I've noticed that Reese brought out a new dual cam HP system which is adjustable over a certain range! You might want to check into this.

Be sure to take your gas bottles off as you are attempting to find a place to mount the dual cam brackets. Sometimes you're fortunate enough to find a spot under a bottle and "straddle" the bottle retaining ring from the underside.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote