Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Pro Pride Hitch and Ford Back Up Assist: Any luck?

This one is for all the ProPride Hitch owners, who also have have a Ford TV that comes with the back up assist feature.

Has anyone had any luck configuring the back up assist, with a ProPride hitch?
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I have a ProPride now. I couldn't get the backup-assist to consistently locate the sticker when using my previous hitch, an Equalizer. When it did work, it was helpful for backing a straight line but when turning, especially on multi-level surfaces, it was useless.

I gave up trying and just learned to back the trailer. Doesn't take long to become proficient. So after learning that skill, now the DW backs the trailer into the campsite while I direct, even with her broken finger on this last trip.

I drive on the roads, pull up to the campsite, get out, check for obstructions, then watch her back the trailer. I direct her from the driver side of the truck facing toward the rear of the rig. Her window is open unless weather dictates otherwise. I speak in soft tones, probably softer and calmer than I normally speak. When the trailer needs to go left from my point of view (which is her right), I tell her to turn left. So I softly say, "Slight left" or "A little more left" or "Straighten the wheel", and the occasional "Hard left" when in a gnarly situation. No screaming. No cellphones with poor reception. No walkie-talkies. No hand signals.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I have the one with the yaw sensor. I believe that started in 2021. Works fine.
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsvax View Post
I have the one with the yaw sensor. I believe that started in 2021. Works fine.
F-150 or Super Duty? Seems that the Super Duty does not use the yaw sensor, yet.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
My understanding is that Ford has discontinued including the yaw sensors, at least on F-150s. My truck delivered 2 weeks ago doesn't have one. I think I saw a discussion that Ford had improved the ability of the system to find and track the stickers. I will add that the cameras and display are a significant improvement over my 2019 truck.

As yet, I have not tried to set it up.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I have an f150. I got mine about a year ago and the sensor was included. Other than driving forward a bit there is nothing to calibrate.

I think the kit came with the early 2021 because they did not support the stickers yet. Might have to buy the kit now and I think they are kinda expensive. I've never used the stickers but they seem to be a problem on Airstreams. The yaw sensor is super easy and works great. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to trailer backup and it makes things much easier.
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I’m with Fungus. Just learn how to back a trailer. IMHO, learning and figuring out all the tech junk is harder than learning the tasks they’re meant to assist.
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
I’m with Fungus. Just learn how to back a trailer. IMHO, learning and figuring out all the tech junk is harder than learning the tasks they’re meant to assist.

You betcha! Sooner or later it will malfunction, then what!
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
Same here. 2021 F-150 w/ ProPride hitch. I installed the yaw sensor and it works fine - but I never use it.
dog_and_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #10

Anna , Ohio
The vision sensor needs a clear, well lit sticker to detect position. The view can be effected by many things especially lighting. On top of that, the short A-frame on AS's makes it difficult to position the sticker so it is viewable in the arc as the AS yaws. My jack will block the view so assist disengages. I could get it work on my 20' Bambi but it really doesn't work on my 27' FC at all. The dual axel doesn't let the AS pivot the same. Best bet is to practice backing up toeold fashioned way.
PUCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Cool

Have ProPride, traded in my 2018 f150 for brand new f150. From day one, I did not attempt to use the Backup Assist, which has 4 pages of setup instructions. Just learn to backup like a pro and you’ll be good, just steer from the bottom of the steering wheel if that makes it easier. No matter what, you STILL have to watch where you’re going, so why all the complexity?

We use Walkie-talkies (my wife guides me as I drive), and the backup camera on AS while backing up, which eliminates needing to talk loudly. We don’t have any problems backing up.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
Have ProPride, traded in my 2018 f150 for brand new f150. From day one, I did not attempt to use the Backup Assist, which has 4 pages of setup instructions. Just learn to backup like a pro and you’ll be good, just steer from the bottom of the steering wheel if that makes it easier. No matter what, you STILL have to watch where you’re going, so why all the complexity?

We use Walkie-talkies (my wife guides me as I drive), and the backup camera on AS while backing up, which eliminates needing to talk loudly. We don’t have any problems backing up.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Well said!
Old 04-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Great for my cargo trailer! Not so much for the Airstream; even when I was using the Blue OX it wasn’t good.

However it is nice for long straight backups. I found that out backing into my Pole Barn when I got it aligned right.

The one thing I do not like about the PP is it isn’t very good on long straight backups.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Great for my cargo trailer! Not so much for the Airstream; even when I was using the Blue OX it wasn’t good.

However it is nice for long straight backups. I found that out backing into my Pole Barn when I got it aligned right.

The one thing I do not like about the PP is it isn’t very good on long straight backups.
I bought the "lot bar" for the PP hitch. I use it with my tractor for moving the AS as desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5788.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	657.2 KB
ID:	414892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	698.8 KB
ID:	414893  

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
After 35 years I almost have this backing up thing figured out
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I bought the "lot bar" for the PP hitch. I use it with my tractor for moving the AS as desired.
I have a lot bar as well. What kind of bracket do you have pictured?
Old 04-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
We gave up. Camera would loos the sticker on hard turns like others I learned to back up although I’m a head out the window unless raining watching the tires type of guy

My wife watches the rear and sides I gave her on the Bluetooth speakers in the Ford info system
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
After 35 years I almost have this backing up thing figured out

🤣🤣🤣 I’m less than a year in with the AS so I have way to go! [emoji23]

One comment frequently heard that I can verify is true: backing up a big trailer is way easier than a short trailer. I’ve been doing “ok” with the AS but I still struggle with my little cargo trailer when hauling the dirt bikes.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
������ I’m less than a year in with the AS so I have way to go! [emoji23]

One comment frequently heard that I can verify is true: backing up a big trailer is way easier than a short trailer. I’ve been doing “ok” with the AS but I still struggle with my little cargo trailer when hauling the dirt bikes.
Cargo trailers are far harder. A slight turn will make them move much quicker. The back up assist is nice for that. However, you will get better backing up your cargo trailer as you back your AS more often. I have. In fact the other day I backed up my cargo trailer into a narrow driveway off the street on the first try. So there is hope My son-in-law is a farmer. He and my grandsons can back up trailers like it is second nature. Practice makes perfect.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #20
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have a lot bar as well. What kind of bracket do you have pictured?
If you are referring to the orange colored "tee" bracket that comes from PP. The holes match the attachment points of the cover that is normally located in the same spot.

You need to add this to keep the head from swiveling when using the ball on the lot bar.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote