Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I talked with them and they suggested the incandescent method.

The harness is located under the bed and splicing in sockets to hold bayonet style bulbs in three wires would be a solution to the issue.

What I don't understand is, why didn't Airstream address this issue when they knew it (I talked with them earlier this morning, and they acknowledged it was an issue)?
Just a reminder that a incandescent light bulb without protection can be a fire hazard. I knocked leans off my storage compartment light with a water hose while getting my wheel ramps out and the bulb melted a water hose in about 10 minutes.

It would be cheaper to go to Radio Shack and getting some resistors to put in-line.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You might want to check out the load resistors available here: Load Resistor Kits
I like the idea of a load resistor kit, but haven't the foggiest idea of how or where to install in my trailer/vehicle.

Thoughts or suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks!
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I like the idea of a load resistor kit, but haven't the foggiest idea of how or where to install in my trailer/vehicle.

Thoughts or suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks!
They generally install in-line with the tail/turn lights at the rear of the trailer or vehicle being towed......inside the tail light assembly if there is sufficient space.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #24

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Hi All, it's 6/18/2012 and I would like some follow-up on your discussion.
Murreywalker mentioned that etrailer.com had a 7-pin adaptor on backorder in May 2011. I've just done a simple search and browse and they've got a 7-pin to 7-pin adaptor on special price under $25. Do you know the model that was referred to last year?

We have a 2008 MB GL550 that we want to attach to a new 2012 25FB Flying Cloud. Didn't know the LED to suv issue until after we purchased and the RV rep hooked up the suv and said, "Guess what..." Came across your discussion and it's been very consoling to know we're not alone with this. I agree with all comments and intend to write to Airstream and Mercedes to let them know the problem STILL exists and isn't new... It seems that the two world-class manufacturers could make some money on an elegant package they could sell us now and in the future.
SteveandJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I posted the information below on a less popular LED trailer thread by accident - will repost here since more people are likely to be following this thread.

The net is the problem is entirely with the tow vehicle, and not with the airstream.

I just upgraded my Safari to LED taillights and ran into the same problem with my Mercedes GL 350. Pretty frustrating for a TV that has LED lighting to not know how to talk to a trailer that also has LED lighting.

The symptoms: Things are fine during the day, but whenever the headlights go on, all of the running lights and the tail lights on the trailer flash rapidly. The brake lights do come on and stay on when pressing the brake pedal.

I spoke with a factory tech as my local dealer is clueless in all things towing related. The problem is that up to and through the 2012 model year, the Mercedes GL computer simply doesn't know about LED trailer lights. They know about the problem and acknowledge it and have a workaround as I'll describe below.

What is going on is when the truck senses the trailer umbilical is plugged in, and then when the headlights go on, it sends a series of diagnostic pulses to make sure the trailer tail lights are ok. It is expecting to see the resistance profile of incandescent bulbs only in the tail light circuit.

Since the LED bulbs look very different electrically, the computer thinks that there is a fault in the trailer's tail light / brake light system.

And to make sure you know about it, the GL rapidly and continuously flashes all of the trailer lamps - the running lamps, the tail lamps, etc - and even the collision avoidance triangles in the GL mirrors, as a warning that something is wrong.

According to MB USA, the fix is to install two 220 Ohm, minimum 1.5 Watt resistor - one each in parallel with both the left turn/stop and right turn stop circuits. You can do this anywhere in the circuit - using an adapter at the trailer plug, in your taillight fixtures, or anywhere in between. Mercedes actually makes an trailer plug adapter - but only for four and five pin trailers - and get this - they want to charge more than $200 for it. For what nets out to two 75 cent resistors.

They say this will be fixed in the 2013 model year and the new generation GL will understand LED trailer lights.

Attached is PDF Mercedes sends out on this... Pretty obviously hacked together by somebody here as opposed to a formal data sheet out of Germany.

All of this (and their silence on weight distribution, and their wimpy tongue weight specs) together do not give a ton of confidence the Germans are spending time to really understand the towing market here in the USA, beyond marketing that their vehicles have a 7,500 pound towing capacity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Modification for LED lighting 164.pdf (10.4 KB, 126 views)
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I have completely forgotten about this thread. My bad!!!!!

VW sells a short (about 3 feet) cable that attaches to the trailer's, which in turn will plug into your tug's 7 pin connector. It costs (give or take) $40.00. This takes care of the problem.

AND the 2013 GLs will have the problem solved with a built in resistance.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #27

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
no wisdom to add - just disappointment. I'm having the same problem with my 2011 MZB SUV... in picking up my brand new Flying Cloud 23FB. The AS tech could do nothing, and I am so disappointed I could not take home my new FC! I don't expect AS to wire in anything non standard in their trailers - so looking for another solution. Per the suggestion above, I am reaching out to Andrew T. from Can-Am RV for an adapter
gtdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #28
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdowning View Post
no wisdom to add - just disappointment. I'm having the same problem with my 2011 MZB SUV... in picking up my brand new Flying Cloud 23FB. The AS tech could do nothing, and I am so disappointed I could not take home my new FC! I don't expect AS to wire in anything non standard in their trailers - so looking for another solution. Per the suggestion above, I am reaching out to Andrew T. from Can-Am RV for an adapter
It isn’t an Airstream issue, and it has nothing to do with the turn signal flasher as some suggest. Your vehicle computer senses when a bulb is out and the trailer LED bulbs don’t use sufficient current for the sensor.

The solution, unless you want to modify the trailer wiring with resistors, is a simple plug in adapter. E trailer sells them. Mine came from the local U Haul store.

Something like this.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wir...ady/20142.html

Another option is discussed here

https://www.etrailer.com/question-616833.html
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I had the same issues with ML. Added regular bulbs to the trailer connection box at the front of the trailer and the problem was solved. This is what Andy suggests. There are other posts on the subject as well as wiring diagrams. It's a very simple mod since as others have mentioned it is a loading issue for the sense circuit on the MB.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote