Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Hitch help

Hi all: my wife and I are in the process of buying a 30 ft. Classic. First foray into travel trailers. Have towed horses for a number of years by have not pulled a long trailer. One of the first issues I face is a hitch. I will Be using a 2500 Silverado diesel as a tow vehicle. Another Airstream owner friend of mine highly recommended a Henley hitch. After research I felt a ProPride hitch would be my choice. Then the Airstream dealer said he wouldn't touch a Henley or ProPride and recommended Equilizer hitches, which they sell. I still like the idea of the ProPride/Henely. I am looking for some feedback from actual Airstream folks on what they use and how they like it. Can you help?
Thanks,
Mark & Mindy
mmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums. This topic has been discussed frequently and never ends well. I would use a custom Google search like this:

Quote:
Hensley site:airforums.com
or

Quote:
Propride site:airforums.com
You will get numerous hits and can read until your eyes bleed.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Main thing is: make sure the receiver on the tow vehicle is strong..... then, choose your hitching mechanism. Don't rely on a dealer pushing what he/she sells.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a 22' International and tow with a Toyota Tacoma. I have a ProPride and won't part with it under any circumstances.

It tows nice in the wind, flat out ignores passing semi trucks. I find it easy enough to set up and hitch up.

Sean, head honcho of ProPride is an absolute gem on customer support before and after the sale. Go to the 'Unofficial ProPride hitch' thread to have way to much to read about it

I like it, to put it mildly.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Propride... good choice. It 'eliminates' sway... a real hassle and potentially dangerous trailer/tow vehicle behavior.... even a Hensley ... is better than a standard WD hitch.. and 'sway control'.

I tow with 2012 2500 Dmax (LML) Silverado HD 4x4.. you don't 'need' the 4x4 until you NEED a 4x4... but don't replace your vehicle for that reason alone.

We tow the 34' you see in the avatar.. the truck blocks the view.

Be SURE your hitch is up to the task.. GM had some round tube receivers which I would only use to install a step block...not tow anything.

Does your 2500 have factory 'brake controller'.. ???

So.. you don't have your location in the info tab... send me a PM and I can give you the skinny on the Propride...or, go blind reading the forums... whichever you prefer.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I can't recall sway with our Equl-I-Zer hitch but the trailer sure moved aside in gusting sidewinds and passing semis, and a steady sidewind kept it slightly out of alignment with the truck.

None of that whatsoever with the ProPride. And the hitching/unhitching is simpler, adjusting the weight distribution bars is simple and variable with the screw jacks, and the heavy hitch head and w.d. bars stay on the trailer when unhitching. Would not want to tow without it, not fully realized until I used it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, go with the Propride, and enjoy camping/traveling.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Beaverton , Oregon
Hi Mark - did the dealer say why he would stay away from the Propride/Hensley hitches?
Triumphdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. It's most likely, IMHO because he does not sell them.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
PRO PRIDE 3P all the way. Don't ask me how I know.

>>ron<<
Old 01-15-2015, 04:07 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Either one.

Maybe the the Hitch is just smarter than the dealer.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One of my co-workers hates both hitches because they are too complex, and too safe.
Yes, you read that right. They are too safe. He says they lull you into a false sense of security, and that encourages you to do things while towing that you shouldn't.
Umm... I own a Hensley, and won't get rid of it.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
One of my co-workers hates both hitches because they are too complex, and too safe.
Yes, you read that right. They are too safe. He says they lull you into a false sense of security, and that encourages you to do things while towing that you shouldn't.
Umm... I own a Hensley, and won't get rid of it.
I LOVE to be lulled.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have an equalizer and have been pleased with it however, I have never used anything else. Have heard good things about all three mentioned in earlier post.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mark & Mindy,

In my towing career I have used the following:

Drawtite WD with a friction sway dampener (with my SOB)

Equal-I-Zer (30' Classic)

Reese Straight Line (30' Classic)

Hensley Arrow (30' Classic)

You can reverse the order for the order of preference, performance and my recommendation.

The PPP design is by far the best system for true control of sway, wind input, and overall handling. I got a Hensley only because of a great price on a low mile, gently used one becoming available. If I were buying new, my preference would be a ProPride, due to some design enhancements and customer support. I do have a Propride adjustable stinger made up by Sean specifically for HAHA users. That, IMO, is the biggest advantage to PP over HAHA.

The PPP experts here can help you with proper setup and Sean is available for advice as well. Don't let the dealer's refusal to set up be a deal breaker.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Propride... good choice. It 'eliminates' sway... a real hassle and potentially dangerous trailer/tow vehicle behavior.... even a Hensley ... is better than a standard WD hitch.. and 'sway control'.

I tow with 2012 2500 Dmax (LML) Silverado HD 4x4.. you don't 'need' the 4x4 until you NEED a 4x4... but don't replace your vehicle for that reason alone.

We tow the 34' you see in the avatar.. the truck blocks the view.

Be SURE your hitch is up to the task.. GM had some round tube receivers which I would only use to install a step block...not tow anything.

Does your 2500 have factory 'brake controller'.. ???

So.. you don't have your location in the info tab... send me a PM and I can give you the skinny on the Propride...or, go blind reading the forums... whichever you prefer.
FYI, the round GM receivers subject to some twisting and weld fatigue were only on the 1500 series GMT 800 and maybe early GMT 900 lines. They were reinforced with some additional plates somewhere along the way during the production run. This wasn't an issue on any of the HDs. In fact, the later 1500s and especially the HDs, as well as the Last generation of FS SUVs had the receiver, not as an add on, but as the last structural frame member. This brought the receiver to a new standard for crash testing, as well as a trailer coupling device. They have been rectangular, And a very large cross section for quite some time now. I have never seen any movement or twisting on any of the SUVs and HDs for years. I haven't towed (overloaded) with a half ton, but the receiver is NOT the same as it was 10 years ago.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I never had an issue with the receiver on my '08 2500 GMC, and I towed a 31' a lot with it.

I would also recommend the ProPride hitch with one caveat, and that is that your new trailer DOES NOT have electric over hydraulic brakes, and does have electric brakes. If you would like more information on that subject, please PM me.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #18
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I can't recall sway with our Equl-I-Zer hitch but the trailer sure moved aside in gusting sidewinds and passing semis, and a steady sidewind kept it slightly out of alignment with the truck.

None of that whatsoever with the ProPride. And the hitching/unhitching is simpler, adjusting the weight distribution bars is simple and variable with the screw jacks, and the heavy hitch head and w.d. bars stay on the trailer when unhitching. Would not want to tow without it, not fully realized until I used it.

That was sway. I had it with equalizer hitch, also, and was so fed up, we got a Hensley. Tows our 30' Classic like a dream, equalizes the weight better that those chain links could, and no sway. Second best money I ever spent, the AS was the best money spent....

Tom
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
That was sway. I had it with equalizer hitch, also, and was so fed up, we got a Hensley. Tows our 30' Classic like a dream, equalizes the weight better that those chain links could, and no sway. Second best money I ever spent, the AS was the best money spent....

Tom
Don't quite understand that because the Equal-I-zer brand of weight distribution hitch does not use chains. Did you possibly have an Easilift hitch?
Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thank you, Rich for clarification!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
FYI, the round GM receivers subject to some twisting and weld fatigue were only on the 1500 series GMT 800 and maybe early GMT 900 lines. .....eiver to a new standard for crash testing, as well as a trailer coupling device. They have been rectangular, And a very large cross section for quite some time now. I have never seen any movement or twisting on any of the SUVs and HDs for years. I haven't towed (overloaded) with a half ton, but the receiver is NOT the same as it was 10 years ago.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote