Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Equilizer Shank Length

We have some friends that have the exact same model Airstream as us, purchased from the same dealer and set up with the same Equalizer hitch. The other day I was looking at his hitch and realized that the shank (the portion of the hitch that goes into the receiver on the TV) on his Equalizer is about 4-6" longer than mine.

I can not lower the tailgate on my truck without it hitting the jack AND i can very easily push the SS rock guard into the front quarter panel with the rear corner of my truck if I get too sever of an angle between the TV and the trailer.

My longer shank on my friend's hitch solves both of these issues as it places the trailer further behind the truck.

Is there any downside to changing my equalizer out for one with a longer shank? The only negative I can think of is it would make it more likely to scrape the pavement if I hit a dip at the end of a driveway, etc.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yes there is a downside to the longer shank. It increases leverage around the rear axle and potentially make sway worse.
Whether this is going to create a problem depends a lot on the distance from the hitch ball to the differential. That is really a function of your tow vehicle. If you have a very short overhang it may not be an issue. If you have a long wheelbase it may not be a problem.
On the other hand if you have a long overhang and shorter wheelbase (<120") it could be a downside.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Yes I agree you want your shank as short as possible but within reason you can extend it a couple of inches. I got a 2 inch longer shank so I could lower my tailgate and have not noticed any resulting problems-- but as stated above the results will depend on your tow vehicle and trailer --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Thanks for the responses. That's what I became an Electrical Engineer and not a Mechanical one.

Interestingly enough I'm pulling a small 19FC as is my friend but I'm using a full length 3/4 ton quad cab Dodge with a heavy Cummins in front whereas my friend is pulling his with a 1/2 ton Tundra. My TV has a much longer wheelbase and substantially more weight so I'm thinking if he has no sway problems I certainly shouldn't.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yeah with that setup you should be OK.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
2014 22' FB Sport
East Texas , Texas
I completely agree. My husband (he's a pro) lengthened my shank 1 1/8" and now I can let the tailgate down. It has made a huge difference.
Imustwander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Some trucks are *way* higher off the ground than others. The shank should get the ball to the point that the trailer is level. That's all it needs to do. If your trailer is nose up, then you need a longer shank.

Fiddling things so that the trailer is out of level is likely to to reduce your ground clearance. Nose high and you scrape the back end. Nose low and you bottom out at the ball.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
Yes I agree you want your shank as short as possible but within reason you can extend it a couple of inches. I got a 2 inch longer shank so I could lower my tailgate and have not noticed any resulting problems-- but as stated above the results will depend on your tow vehicle and trailer --Frank
I also feel you have *some* flexibility in shank length but 4” seems pretty substantial, 6” even more. As mentioned above, with a longer shank than currently being used, you are moving the tongue weight center of gravity further back, adding weight to the TV rear axle and removing weight from the TV front axle. How much is difficult to estimate but it might be a small enough change that adjustments in your WD tension bars can re-balance your rig. Main thing is expect some impact if you go to a longer shank.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Higher trucks hitch change needed

I just took delivery of a new Ram 2500 4x4 and it is a full 2" higher than my old 2500 4x4. thanks to an increased GVW and 18" tires. I use an Air safe hitch combined with with an Equalizer. This combination has worked really well for me. I wondered what I would do to solve the problem of the extra 2" of height when using the new truck. Fortunately the problem has been solved ,Air safe now offers a 14" receiver shank and I can replace the 12" . It's not listed on the web site but a call confirmed they make it.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dale... there are a couple points you may consider.

- Too short a shank and making a tight turn, your tail light may engage the Airstream body just at the top of the rock guard putting a dent in one or both.

- Another requirement is getting the tailgate to clear... which you can take the top of the front power lift, loosen the screw and rotate the controls so the tailgate clears. It rotates to the left or right. Or get the longer shank that would work if the tailgate still cannot clear.

I have an 11 inch 2 1/2" shank for my F350. Can make sharp 90 degree turn and clears the Airstream by several inches. I checked that out to see what the minimum clearance was. I can drop the tail gate with room to spare. No sway. No issues.

The Equalizer Hitch came with a 2 inch shank, which is 10 inches long that I did not use since I had a F350. I had the 2 1/2" shank from a previous trailer in towing with the same F350.

With 750# bars towing a 25 foot International and a Tundra and a F350 worked out just fine. You should have a perfect setup once you get the shank length to work.

With a 27 foot Airstream & F350... I have the 11 inch shank (measured up to the edge of the assembly edge, holding the Ball and Bolts). Next consider how many washers are being used on his tow vehicle for the Ball angle... if it is the same as your model.

Try your friend's hitch and shank on your Tow Vehicle, to know for sure. Mine are from an Airstream Dealer and swapped out the 2 inch shank to my used 2 1/2 inch to fit the F350.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just me....👍

I wood....Get a shank just long enough so that the tailgate will open without hitting anything.

Disclaimer....I noe a little about nothing.

Good Luck

Addendum...Did read about a 19' Globetrotter, 2500 TV with 18" tires and Airsafe hitch?
Must be a Graduate of the University of Overkill.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bought a 14" shank and had a new hole drilled so I could use it at 12". Tight turns or dropping the tailgate are no problem. I use it with a F350. No sway or other problems.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I bought a 14" shank and had a new hole drilled so I could use it at 12". Tight turns or dropping the tailgate are no problem. I use it with a F350. No sway or other problems.
I got an 18" shank five years ago and never looked back. Let the flames begin
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My Post #10

I measured the 'shank' as the 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch part of the entire unit that is 2" or 2 1/2" that slides into the Tow Vehicle. Not the entire length when sitting on the floor, not slid into the section holding the Ball and Sway Bar assembly. Part is into the sleeve and the excess is outside.

My Loose Shank Total:
- 2 inch from end to end... 12 inches.
- 2 1/2 inch from end to end... 14 inches.

I tried to be specific as to what fits into the Tow Vehicle sleeve.

This is what makes things confusing. Try out your friends and then figure out the shank length. CRH did what he needed to do.

I have never had sway issues with any length of Shank. Some of that may also have to do with how some load their Airstream in the rear. Or have the Hitch set up so the front, at the tow vehicle, is high and not down somewhat.

Robert Cross has what I do. The tail gate must drop down and clear when your Tow Vehicle and Trailer are STRAIGHT IN LINE. If you try to tow into or back into a spot with the tailgate down... you will contact the electric jack and bend the center of your tailgate.

You cannot describe any of this is a sentence or two... Much is visual.

I saw a 23 foot being towed by a F150 on the ball, using a hitch used to tow Wave Runners or a small boat. The Front was up two or three inches. He had blown out two tires on the trailer having 55psi and buying a second tire at Costco. His first trip. The tires were Marathons... which may have been the original 2006 tires... as the trailer was used stationary and had little towing time.

Be careful. Interpretation of one sentence can change your life...
Old 09-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I wood....Get a shank just long enough so that the tailgate will open without hitting anything.
A worthy goal, but not so easy. Easy, all 2" shanks will fit different company heads. Not so easy, different companies measure differently. On company may refer to their 16" shank and measure nose to tail, while another sells a 12" shank, but measures from the pin hole to the mounting holes. E-trailer carries a variety of shanks, and also does a video with a tape measure showing the 'real' measurement.
In reality to find a shank "just a little longer" will probably mean drilling a new hole. No problem, although keeping it square and accurate will be hard.
The OP going 4"-6" longer is at the upper end of the 'extra length' spectrum. First, it's a wag the dog lever in the back, and secondly you'll bash your shins on it too often.
Before I drilled a new hole in a new shank, I'd turn the jack sideways (and I did)
Notice the Equalizer 18" shank is only 14" in the critical measurement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 10.36.04 AM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	403321  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The Airscream Forum goal make things as complicated as possible.

Bob
🇺🇸
Shin saver....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81189635-5E03-412C-A782-C3A9799CA5E8_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	403323