Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Eaz-lift

Do Eaz-lift hitches wear out? I'm thinking about buying a used WDH as the tongue weight is pushing against the limit of my receiver (rated at 600lbs, loaded tongue weight when towing is 520lbs). I've seen a couple of used Eaz-lifts for sale pretty cheap and thought about buying one just to try it out. Eaz-lifts seem to be the simplest out there, and I want simple. What do I look for when buying a used WDH?

Thoughts?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Recurve has some wear parts but the standard ones other than the sway damper don't so you just want to inspect it for bearing damage and loose parts, it should not have slop of any consequence. You'll want to be sure the bars are the correct load range for your trailer, you will want the 600 lb bars the others are too stiff for your set-up. I can't advise you on the simplest hitch, I just don't know.

While WD does reduce longitudinal torque on the receiver, they increase lateral and horizontal twist so they should not be considered a help to address weak receiver mounts. Also weak receivers often have excessive flex which absorbs WD rendering it ineffective. Food for thought. If you know the 600 lb limit is receiver mount related, consider a true class III hitch instead.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Good advice! Thank you
Old 08-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
EAZ-Lift wear

I got an EAZ-Lift Elite round bar hitch with 1400 pound bars in 2013. My trailer is much heavier than yours, with a tongue weight around 1000 pounds. I crank the weight distribution force quite high because of that tongue weight.

In late 2017, I noticed that the head was somewhat deformed around and inside the holes where the bars are inserted. I sent pictures to my dealer, and he said the hitch was still OK. We are still using it now and it is still working fine.

So yes, the hitch can wear, and at some point will have to be replaced. But since you have a lighter trailer, you can probably get a lot of miles out of a used one.

I'm attaching two pictures. (The hitch is turned upside down to show the bottom). Inside the hole you'll see there is a groove around the inside, and the groove is worn away on one side. And the bottom of the hitch is supposed to be flat, but the picture shows the edge of the hole has bulged up. But this amount of wear seems to be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAZLift-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	375080   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAZLift-2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	375081  

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thank you SSqured, looks like they are pretty well made to hold up to that weight over time
Old 09-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
So now it is 2020. I'm still using my somewhat-worn hitch. But now my chains look significantly worn. Specifically, the bottom chain link seems to have worn quite a bit.

Anybody know where to buy new chains and new u-bolts? The EAZ-Lift website does not offer such parts. No luck at my usual go-to RV parts sources.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
So now it is 2020. I'm still using my somewhat-worn hitch. But now my chains look significantly worn. Specifically, the bottom chain link seems to have worn quite a bit.

Anybody know where to buy new chains and new u-bolts? The EAZ-Lift website does not offer such parts. No luck at my usual go-to RV parts sources.
Found this...

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Weigh...-p/14-0094.htm

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I have an Eaz-Lift but isn't the recurve, its by Camco and the subgroup is called trekker.

I was going to go with a Blue Ox originally, but my dealer said this version has a lifetime warranty regardless of issue....so I went with that and it is very easy to manage and hook up.....and more than enough strengh for my 25RB.

https://smile.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-Tr...-no-redirect=1

My dealer was Pete's RV in Vermont and I can say I'm glad I made the switch.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote