Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
64 hitch question

I have the part of the hitch that is attached to the trailer (reese straight line dual cam?) and I found the receiver and wt. dist bars for sale (used) at a local dealer. BUT is that the right receiver for my 64 and how can I tell what wt rating the bars are? Help
kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	101998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	101999  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	102000  
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
I have the part of the hitch that is attached to the trailer (reese straight line dual cam?) and I found the receiver and wt. dist bars for sale (used) at a local dealer. BUT is that the right receiver for my 64 and how can I tell what wt rating the bars are? Help
kevin
Kevin

To determine the weight rating of the bars, measure the top side of the bar, as it enters the trunnion.

The weight ratings are as follows.

1" = 450 pounds

1 1/8 " = 650 pounds

1 1/4 " = 900 pounds.

When you add the dual cam, you add an additional 100 pounds to the bar ratings.

Your photo shows some damage to the horseshoe brackets that are on the end of the dual cams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The drawbar (part with trailer ball) will work with the hardware currently installed on your Airstream, but the weight distribution bars will not.

Your Airstream appears to have dual-cams, and the bars have no saddles to accomodate the cams. Take a look at the images in this link to see what the bar ends should look like. Additionally, the link will show you how to determine the bars' weight ratings.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Thanks Andy; is the horseshoe the "loop" that the chain is connected to? should the whole dual cam be replaced and if so are they still available? Or ok as is ?
Tom, great link thanks. I checked today and they have the saddles to fit the bars, so I may go that route, but I've got to measure the bars first.
Also whats the general consensus on correct wt. rating for a 64tw with a 2005 tundra?
Feel like I'm in an old western all this discussion of saddles, horseshoes and bars!
Kevin
Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy; is the horseshoe the "loop" that the chain is connected to? Feel like I'm in an old western all this discussion of saddles, horseshoes and bars!
Kevin
Kevin.

Correct on the horseshoe.

Well, the old saying "head em up and move em out", applies to Airstreaming, too, ya know.

Andy
Old 05-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Alright Andy I'll bite and we will both show our age: Oh hearts calculatin my true love will be waitin be waitin at the end of my ride, head em up move em out, move em out head em up rawhide! Ok so now I have embarrassed myself in front of all, but what the heck big Clint fan, you know the last name! Now you owe me go down the rocky road.... what # rating for the bars?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Alright Andy I'll bite and we will both show our age: Oh hearts calculatin my true love will be waitin be waitin at the end of my ride, head em up move em out, move em out head em up rawhide! Ok so now I have embarrassed myself in front of all, but what the heck big Clint fan, you know the last name! Now you owe me go down the rocky road.... what # rating for the bars?
Kevin.

Aloha.

For which trailer?

And, for which "exact" tow vehicle?

The number rating for the best bar at home that I go to, is # 1, then # 3.

The number 2 bar, has way to many young pretty ladies. You know, distractions.

Mahalo.

Andy
Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Andy, the truck is a Toyota Tundra SR5 4x2 V8 pushing a GCWR of 11,800 with 282 hp @5400 rpm. The Airstream a garden variety 1964 tradewind, wt 3480 hitch wt 350. It will be built back close to orig wt. assuming I ever complete it!
Kevin
Old 05-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, the truck is a Toyota Tundra SR5 4x2 V8 pushing a GCWR of 11,800 with 282 hp @5400 rpm. The Airstream a garden variety 1964 tradewind, wt 3480 hitch wt 350. It will be built back close to orig wt. assuming I ever complete it!
Kevin
Aloha Kevin.

I would suggest the lowest rating Reese dual cam hitch, namely 600 pounds.

Mahalo,

Andy
Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Andy

Thanks for coming to the rescue once again, sorry none of the faces had cowboy hats.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy

Thanks for coming to the rescue once again, sorry none of the faces had cowboy hats.

Kevin
Maybe next time.

Andy
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Well I bought the whole deal, only problem is the bars are 1000lbs, I think; because the width looks like 1 3/16.? So... if anyone wants to do some horse tradin for some heavier bars let me know.(had to use that term as this thread has taken on a western theme)
And any tips I should know about installation fire away. I read (after purchase of course) That a min. hitch wt of 400lbs is req. and my tw is only 350... but if that is true then why did it come from the factory with a dual cam? Confused, but that is how life is: information comes bits at a time.
Thanks All
kevin
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well I bought the whole deal, only problem is the bars are 1000lbs, I think; because the width looks like 1 3/16.? So... if anyone wants to do some horse tradin for some heavier bars let me know.(had to use that term as this thread has taken on a western theme)
And any tips I should know about installation fire away. I read (after purchase of course) That a min. hitch wt of 400lbs is req. and my tw is only 350... but if that is true then why did it come from the factory with a dual cam? Confused, but that is how life is: information comes bits at a time.
Thanks All
kevin
Kevin.

Did you measure the tongue weight with the trailer fully loaded?

If the 350 pounds is the factory info, that weight is with zero payload.

The water in the front as well as the full LPG tanks, will add to that weight, plus things you may place under the front dinette or lounge, as the case may be.

Andy
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
64 hitch question

Greetings Kevin!

Quote:
Thanks All
kevin

The hitch weight as reported by the factory is the empty hitch weight. It doesn't reflect the weight imposed by any of the following:
  • Propane carried in the LP bottles.
  • Water carried in the fresh water tank.
  • Any fluids carried in the waste tank.
  • The coach's house battery.
  • The weight of any options or accessories installed.
  • The weight of personal possessions carried in the coach.
As examples, my coaches typically line up as follows:
  • 1964 Overlander Land Yacht International - -
    • 4,450 pounds Empty Weight as equipped
    • 500 pounds Empty Hitch Weight as equipped
      • 6,000 pounds typical loaded weight
      • 700 pounds typical loded hitch weight
  • 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre --
    • 2,450 pounds Empty Weight as equipped
    • 395 pounds Empty Hitch Weight as equipped
      • 3,100 pounds typical loaded weight
      • 550 pounds typical loaded hitch weight
When calculating weights for hitch adjustments, it is necessary to work with the typical loaded weight of your coach. Ideally, the coach should be loaded maintain 12% to 15% of total coach weight on the hitch. Part of the reason that the Minuet carries a heavy hitch weight is the fact that the fresh water tank is mounted immediately below the front window which places much of the on-board water supply weight on the hitch. The Overlander's water tank is mounted above the streetside axles so the onboard fresh water supply doesn't have as much of an impact on the hitch weight.

Good luck with your hitch setup. I feel certain that you will like the dual cam system. I have the original style Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam hitch on both of my coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Thanks gents for stress relief, yes 350 is the factory info, so loaded I should easily get to 400. Kev my water tank is where your overlanders is and you still had a considerable weight increase which is comforting. I was having visions of stowing my wife up front to hit the magic 400#. (I can talk big she never reads the forums, which is also why I can tell everyone I bought the hitch!!)
Kevin REALLY glad to hear from someone who is actually using an old style and likes it. Mine even came w/ a complete new in box (but old style) cam setup, cams, saddles horseshoes u-bolts etc etc. But now I guess I'll wait to install until final hitch wt. is determined.

Boy Andy you were right "forget the simple lifestyle you own an airstream" those are very true words!
Kevin
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
64 hitch question

Greetings Kevin!

Quote:
Thanks gents for stress relief, yes 350 is the factory info, so loaded I should easily get to 400. Kev my water tank is where your overlanders is and you still had a considerable weight increase which is comforting. I was having visions of stowing my wife up front to hit the magic 400#. (I can talk big she never reads the forums, which is also why I can tell everyone I bought the hitch!!)
Kevin REALLY glad to hear from someone who is actually using an old style and likes it. Mine even came w/ a complete new in box (but old style) cam setup, cams, saddles horseshoes u-bolts etc etc. But now I guess I'll wait to install until final hitch wt. is determined.

Boy Andy you were right "forget the simple lifestyle you own an airstream" those are very true words!
Kevin
I purposely load my coach forward to keep the hitch weight close to 15%. My first RV, a Nomad, was so poorly balanced from the factory that even loading everything that I could forward of the axle resuled in just barely 10% on the hitch - - and it was a handling nightmare even with sway control. With the Airstream and Argosy, I have never had handling problems of any kind other than a few caused by the hitch setup on my Cadillac which have now been solved. There are some excellent Reese Dual Cam setup step-by-step directions available on the Web, and I believe that there is a at least one thread here on AirForums that discuss the setup as well.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Hi Kevin,

We have the same trailer ('64 24' Tradewind) and our hitch looked exactly like yours when we got it. We went with a similar set up to what you are doing except we bought everything new. Cut all the assorted old parts off the hitch, grinded it and painted it, and then installed the Reese and sway control. Here is a picture in the event that helps you with your set up. We tow with a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel).

Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Kev
Thanks for the support; I returned the 1000 bars, I talked to reese and they informed me that I can get new ones (600) that fit the old head and are duplicates of the old style (will accept the saddles) which fit in the old type cams. I am skeptical as what I have read here on the forums you can get new bars but they are curved on the ends like the pic Blanchard so kindly provided. the girl at reese didnt exude confidence... do you have any first hand knowledge about this??? Or should I start the hunt for used ones.
Blanchard
Thanks for the pic, sure has a clean look to it. Off topic question what type of paint did you use and are you happy with it .... sure looks good.
Kevin
Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
64 hitch question

Greetings Kevin!

Quote:
Kev
Thanks for the support; I returned the 1000 bars, I talked to reese and they informed me that I can get new ones (600) that fit the old head and are duplicates of the old style (will accept the saddles) which fit in the old type cams. I am skeptical as what I have read here on the forums you can get new bars but they are curved on the ends like the pic Blanchard so kindly provided. the girl at reese didnt exude confidence... do you have any first hand knowledge about this??? Or should I start the hunt for used ones.
Blanchard
Thanks for the pic, sure has a clean look to it. Off topic question what type of paint did you use and are you happy with it .... sure looks good.
Kevin
The 800 pound bars that I use with my very softly sprung Cadillac when towing my Overlander are of the new design with hooks on the end rather than provisions for the saddles. Their trunions match up with the vintage hitch head that I have on my Cadillac. The biggest difference is that they are about an inch different in length so the brackets on the hitch need to be moved forward on the coach's a-frame to allow the hooks to properly seat on the saddles. I learned last summer that if the hook isn't fully seated over the cam when the coach and tow vehicle are in a straight line - - the result was severe sway like none I had ever experienced with this combination.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Kevin,

To clean up the hitch we used a wire brush on a drill, and an angle grinder, to take off the old rust, then just Tremclad primer and Tremclad silver spray paint. Nothing special.

The area where you can learn from our mistakes is if you have to do any drilling through the hitch to install new brackets... Mr. Blanchard momentarily forgot that the wiring runs through one side of the hitch and drilled a nice hole right through the wiring bundle. Ooops. Got it repaired, but it would have been better to pull the wiring out, drill, and then push the wiring bundle back through.
Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote