Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
What do i need to tow my purchase in Texas?

Looks like we are closing in on the AS after months of looking. What do I need to have to tow our AS home from the current owner's place? Obviously we need the insurance, but wondered what the experience has been of others here in Texas in terms of purchasing, moving and title and plates for their "experienced" Airstreams. Thanks in advance for your help.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Dunedin , Florida
1. Make sure your tow vehicle is properly equipped and capable of towing the AS you select. How far will you be towing the AS to your home? Make sure your tow vehicle is ready: tires, oil, brakes etc.
2. Do you need an equalizer or sway bars?
3. Trailer Brake Actuator, if the trailer has electric brakes you will need one unless the tow vehicle is already equipped with one.
4. Is the seller able to provide you with maintenance records? If not, make sure the trailer is serviced by a reputable dealer that can check all the exterior lights, tires, brakes, bearings, safety chains, breakaway etc.

I'm sure I did not cover everything. You will probably have more postings from more the experienced. Good Luck
mshamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Is the trailer currently licensed? If so, you should just need to inform your auto insurer if you're planning to add more-than-liability coverage for the Airstream (liability comes from the tow vehicle policy) and execute the title-transfer signatures and such. If it's not licensed and you want to be strictly legal, you can get a one-way tag for moving it, or you could execute the sale before you actually are ready to bring it home and go get new tags for it at the same time you transfer the title at the tax office, then go and tow it home.

The last time I got a one-way tag was in another century and for a motor vehicle, so I'm not sure what they cost for trailers these days.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
To get it home:

1. Current Registration
2. Brake lights and signal lights
3. Safety chains
4. Air in the tires - ha
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Looks like we are closing in on the AS after months of looking. What do I need to have to tow our AS home from the current owner's place? Obviously we need the insurance, but wondered what the experience has been of others here in Texas in terms of purchasing, moving and title and plates for their "experienced" Airstreams. Thanks in advance for your help.
If the trailer is over 3500 lbs you will need the current TX safety inspection in order to title and register it in your name....Any TX inspection place that does cars/trucks can do a trailer too.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks ya'll. it's about 60 miles. Did talk to Texas DMV and found out about Vehicle Transit Permit that is good for 5 days. Just have to see what the status is of current owner's plates and if he will be leaving them on. So many things to do, such little time. :-)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought mine 2 miles from home. It had current plates on it. I checked brakes and lights, hooked up the chains and towed it to my yard. Here it sits:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Nicely done

Way to go Splitrock. 2 miles might be the record for proximity... maybe we should start a thread asking what's the closest to home anyone has ever bought their AS. You may have already won.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought it cause I was sick of seeing it sit with the for sale sign by the side of the road. It sat for two years for sale before I bought it. It was being used. The seller was using it the day I bought it:-)

The 2 mile pull home is my total Airstream towing expericnce:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote