Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Vintage AS models under 3000 lbs?

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot AWD (255hp V6) with dealer-installed tow package. It's rated for 3500 lbs max, but I would like to keep it under 3000. I know I can tow a 60s Bambi or Caravel, but there are 4 of us (2 small kids) and I was wondering if there are any vintage options under 22' that would also qualify? I've read that some of the 20-22' 50s trailers are quite lightweight. (We would need one with a bathroom.) Thanks!
Corraleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
have a look at this

Have a look at
77ArgosyMin20

The Argosy minuets were specifically designed for the kind of TV you have. They were really designed for the european market. May be a little bight tight for four but with a little togetherness. Nice thing is that there is a shower along with the toilet. With kids, the shower is a real asset

this one is in the classifieds but it doesn't have a dinette... we like the dinette

http://www.airforums.com/classifieds...uct=4543&cat=6

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
This might help. Shows lots of AS weights.
Hopefully I copied it correctly.....I'm a little awkward with these computalator things.
Sam

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...3&d=1189122979
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi corraleno,

i saw your reply on your other thread and thought i would respond here.

the general consensus on the forum would say that the caravel is too small for a family of four (doesn't mean it can't be done, but it is a small trailer for four people).

yes, the vintage trailers are lighterweight, but a 21 or 22 footer will come in around 3000 lbs give or take. the problem with anything vintage is it's going to need work.

now with your tow vehicle, you are going to be severelly limited in your airstream choices (a lot of people have trouble facing this fact). plus you want an airstream that will fit 4 people.

some people select there tow vehicle first, some people select their airstream first.

the general consensus on the forum would be to select the size airstream you want, then select the proper tow vehicle. keep in mind, you're going to have the airstream a lot longer than any tow vehicle (generally speaking of course).

here's one last thing to consider. do you want a trailer that will require a lot of work and effort, or do you want to hook up and go. if you want to hook up and go, you'll be looking at a newer, heavier airstream which would mean a different tow vehicle.

searching for the airstream you want is always a process of give and takes. keep reading on the forums and posting questions, this is a fun place.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
This might help. Shows lots of AS weights.
Keep in mind, the weights show on the chart are "dry weight" - which means:
  • No water
  • No propane
  • No clothes
  • No food
  • No bedding
  • No options - like remodeled interiors, extra shelves, A/C, awnings, etc
  • No extras - like TV, microwave, BBQ, chairs, ice chests, etc
These "conveniences" make your trip a little more enjoyable ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good day Corraleno..

My dad was a teacher back in the 50's and 60's . He luved to travel and always had a trailer. Back then we too were a family of 4. Because of the time he had off in the summer we were on the road a lot racking up 1,000's of miles a year. The TT's we towed at the time were 15 to 17' in length and were connected to the 6 cyl family sedan.

Today the two of us use a 23' Airstream and find it a nice size and very easy to tow and handle with our 6 cyl vehicles. Everyone has there own needs and expectations.

Good luck with your Airstream journey.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Everyone has there own needs and expectations.
So true.
I come from a family of 9. I grew up with an overcab camper/pickup set-up. (1964 - 1980) We took many long distance vacations in it as I was growing up. Granted, our vacations were summer time and we lived in California. But there were those trips to Oregon/Washington or the mid-west where you get rain. Normally the 5 boys would sleep outside in sleeping bags, but if it rained we managed to all squeeze into the camper with one sleeping in the cab of the truck.
My point is, everyone has different needs, expectations or comfort levels. If you need a small trailer, I'm here to tell you it can work. There is however, a lot of validity to the viewpoint that you should purchase the TV based on the trailer that you wind up with.
Don't listen to those who say that vintage means working on it before you can use it. Not so. I paid a bit more, but found one that had been updated and in great shape. They are out there.
Good luck in your search,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot...
richL (airstream life mag) started his family full timing adventure towing with a similar 03 honda pilot...

they pulled "vintage thunder" , a double axle argosy with the honda....

so it can be done, but isn't ideal and you really need to know (or learn fast) what you are doing....

the towing figures are largely arbitrary of these vehicles...

but there is no question wear is accelerated whenever you make the mule sweat...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think you should get a full size truck and a full size trailer from the 50's or 60's... you will be happy you did it right. Don't cheat yourself, life is too short, and so is the size of the trailers you are looking at. I have two kids and 26 foot gets real small when everyone is inside and mulling about.
I love all the stories about how it was... a good friend grew up in a family of 6 and they all did it in a slide in pick up camper with a dog. Mom and Dad up front, kids and dog in the back laughing over the effects of last nights chilli... I believe now it illegal to ride in a camper while driving.... could be wrong. A lot has changed... I cannot remember my sister or I ever wearing seat belt as kids. And remember when 80% of the population smoked? Hasn't that done a 180... sorry to bring up the smoking thing, it has been 12 weeks and my coffee would go down nice with a camel.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
there are 4 of us (2 small kids) and I was wondering if there are any vintage options under 22' that would also qualify?
From our 'What It's Worth Department' I note that our family of 4 loves camping in our 16' Bambi. It all depends on what you want to do with your Airstream.

If you expect to spend your days in and around your Airstream then you definately need a bigger tow vehicle and trailer. But if you just want to enjoy your Airstream as a mobile 'Bed and Breakfast' while you visit the parks, attractions, and/or cities you are visiting then I'm sure you can find a small Airstream to meet your needs.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot AWD (255hp V6) with dealer-installed tow package. It's rated for 3500 lbs max, but I would like to keep it under 3000. I know I can tow a 60s Bambi or Caravel, but there are 4 of us (2 small kids) and I was wondering if there are any vintage options under 22' that would also qualify? I've read that some of the 20-22' 50s trailers are quite lightweight. (We would need one with a bathroom.) Thanks!
We tow a Minuet 6.0 metre with a modified Wrangler and Equal-i-zer. Would be tight for 4 but when we go with more than 2 we take a tent for the over flow. Photos on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rip-33652.html
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Wow, thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate the input!

A bit more detail about our situation: We will only be using the camper for short trips, probably 4-5 days max. We're in NM and would generally be staying within an 8 hour radius of Albuquerque, we can't be gone too long because we have 9 horses. And generally we'd be travelling in the summer when the kids (5 & 9) are out of school, so we plan to be outside most of the time. We just want the AS as a place to sleep (scorpion-free), and eat if the weather is bad. We've done tent camping, so we're looking at the AS as an alternative to a tent rather than as a home-away-from-home.

I really have my heart set on a vintage AS because, well, I just love them. It isn't a rational or practical thing, it's just pure lust! When we lived in France we rehabbed an old stone farmhouse built in 1786, which had no heat and the most primitive bathroom facitlities. When we lived in England we fixed up a rambling old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. Both times people told us we were crazy (and we probably are!) but we loved it. And our kids are used to living in tiny cramped quarters, like all piled into one bedroom and using a camping stove in the remains of the kitchen when we gutted the English house. Or all crammed into one double bed under a pile of down comforters when the temps in France hit negative numbers one winter, and the only heat we had was the fireplace in the living room. We slept with hats on for days! We're used to roughing it and we love renovating beautiful old properties, so taking on a "project trailer" is part of the fun for us.

We only need rudimentary kitchen facilities (2 burner cooktop, tiny sink, tiny fridge) -- about what they have on the new Bambi's. I'm beginning to think we may even give up the shower and just go with a small composting toilet like the Biolet 30 NE, so our water needs will be minimal. If we put in bunks for the kids I would use air mattresses so they would be very light. Overall, we will probably be lightening the interior load compared to the original specs, although we will make up for that by adding solar panels and batteries.

We also have a 2005 Ford F150 we can tow with, but I'd rather travel with the Pilot because it's much more comfortable, especially for the kids. It's also AWD and the truck isn't. Someday I want a 53 Chevy pickup to go with the trailer (after the kids have left home!), but for now I'll settle for the AS.
Corraleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thnxs for a bit of your history. A vintage Airstream will seem like the Ritz compared to what you are used to. Find a nice one and enjoy.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Don't listen to those who say that vintage means working on it before you can use it. Not so. I paid a bit more, but found one that had been updated and in great shape. They are out there.
good point from dave. in reading your last post corraleno, it sounds like a fixed up vintage may be more suitable to your needs. you need a trailer with a decent axle, brakes, frame and subfloor. you can expect prices to run between $6000 and $15000 or more.

the search for "your" airstream is an exercise in patience BUT it can be a fun and the day you actual find the one you want is most memorable. good luck and keep us posted

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
_

. , .
well it reads like u r n 4 a grand and rewarding adventure!

so don't forget to post a story board.

heck, post some pix now of the french farm house...

it must be pretty cool

family of 4 wearing hats?

were they berets....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Corraleno

Vintage units are light weight, but they are also "smaller" than later models. Narrower as others have noted and we have people who come through who feel they are in a tunnel where others love the "closeness". It really is an individual thing.

Our 21' Flying Cloud is just right for my wife and I, and we can accommodate another couple very short term up front but it does make for tight quarters BY TODAYS STANDARDS. I say this because as a youngster the whole family of 5 kids, parents and grandmother all camped on the road for extended periods in first a 17' and then a 19' SOB. And NO awning which in reasonable weather extends the liveability significantly.

If you do decide to purchase a vintage unit that has been redone, besides ensuring it was actually done correctly you will also want to make sure it has a reasonable compliment of modern conveniences and safety features (detectors), holding tanks, etc. Some things are easy to add if you are handy, others take a lot of effort (like tanks), money, time and creativity. It's obvious that you are not unfamiliar with taking on projects, so it then becomes how much of one you want to take on with your camping unit.

Glad to hear you love the Vintage Airstreams . You'll fit right in with a whole bunch of us.

Good luck with your search. I highly encourage you to find a rally nearby and go talk to the folks. Get some tours, ask as many questions as you can, and you'll find the right rig for your family.

Barry
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I let my wife read this and thank you for reminding her that just the 2 of us in a 28 foot safari is plenty of room and more. She was feeling cramped/closed in towards the end of the last 7900 mile trip. We do it all over in jan-march. Thanks for reminding us how good we have it!!
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Great Barrington , Massachusetts
New TV?

I pull a '76 Argosy 20 with a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. It has worked pretty well, but I've been having a wandering eye for something larger in the TV. The Ranger sucks 10-12mpg when towing and I'm hoping that a bigger engine might not have to work so hard. Heck, if I still have to use 10-12, a bigger engine might just give me more power and maneuverability.

Anyway, my eye has been caught by a 1999 GMC 4x4 Yukon with doors in the rear. It has a 5.7(?) V8 and seems like a nice step up. Good move? Will those doors clear the trailer lift and open while hitched? Plus the grandchildren are getting bigger and a back seat would be nicer (safer) for them. Anybody have experience? I know you all have opinions. I'd appreciate your comments.

Nick
WBCCI#3528
nickvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvansant
I pull a '76 Argosy 20 with a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. It has worked pretty well, but I've been having a wandering eye for something larger in the TV. The Ranger sucks 10-12mpg when towing and I'm hoping that a bigger engine might not have to work so hard. Heck, if I still have to use 10-12, a bigger engine might just give me more power and maneuverability.

Anyway, my eye has been caught by a 1999 GMC 4x4 Yukon with doors in the rear. It has a 5.7(?) V8 and seems like a nice step up. Good move? Will those doors clear the trailer lift and open while hitched? Plus the grandchildren are getting bigger and a back seat would be nicer (safer) for them. Anybody have experience? I know you all have opinions. I'd appreciate your comments.
Not sure if the rear doors will clear but should be a good move. Yes, rear seats are nice, specially if you have dogs. We prefer the truck style as thats where the bikes go.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvansant
We have the same TV, except ours has the tailgate. The doors may clear, but it will depend on your hitch/tongue set-up. I've seen some that do and some that are a near miss. Our tailgate clears just fine...I like the doors too, but they have a large center mullion which seemed like a big blind spot when we test drove, I suppose you get used to it ~

Anyway, the 5.7 V8 works great with our small & mid-size trailers and the extra room is nice to have, we can seat four without having to re-pack the truck ~ you won't be disappointed with the extra get up & go!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote