Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well, $30K with my mileage and current cost of diesel is another 167K miles on the road...

Searching around, it seems my current truck (with larger tow mirrors and steps not on the original - which made no sense....plus LineX bed, Undercover locking tonneau topper and new Michelins) would retail between $42-45K on his lot and there were significant margins in the new one he has on the lot and doesn't want to hold there for the capital. I told him if he could get the delta to $10K from $30K I'd be willing to talk, if not, it was a fun discussion.

It was a fun discussion [emoji3]

Thanks for playing along. Original plan to drive this one in to the sunset remains the goal...

See you on the road!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
As my late daddy used to say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
Works for me. K.I.S.S.
😆
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
2018 23' International
Auburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Tell this smooth talking hustler you want $5K more for your trade-in and the new truck for $5K less....at minimum! He'll tell you that's impossible, but don't believe it. Trucks are now the highest profit margin vehicles in his showroom and lot.
My thoughts exactly. Do what you want on the buy/not buy question (always choose joy) but if you decide to do it, tell the salesperson he'll have to do a lot better on the deal.
especially our Airstream
blog: https://airstreampictures.typepad.com
FilmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well, $30K with my mileage and current cost of diesel is another 167K miles on the road...

Searching around, it seems my current truck (with larger tow mirrors and steps not on the original - which made no sense....plus LineX bed, Undercover locking tonneau topper and new Michelins) would retail between $42-45K on his lot and there were significant margins in the new one he has on the lot and doesn't want to hold there for the capital. I told him if he could get the delta to $10K from $30K I'd be willing to talk, if not, it was a fun discussion.

It was a fun discussion [emoji3]

Thanks for playing along. Original plan to drive this one in to the sunset remains the goal...

See you on the road!
Expect a call back in several days with a better offer. You can make you final decision then, based on his last best offer.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I can't/won't comment on either the trade-in value of your current truck or whether or not you should trade it in on a new one (although if my warranty period were about to lapse, that would get my attention). What struck me, however, was your implication that a new truck would cost $65K. A year or so ago, I bought a new, tricked-out, Ram/Cummins 2500 Laramie crewcab after having done a lot of shopping for it & similar trucks. Yes, the dealers all called that & similar trucks of other brands a $65K truck. And when it was time to get real, that $65K pretty immediately went to $55K, which was what I ultimately paid for mine. Consequently, my reaction to your posting is that your dealer may be paying you wholesale for your trade-in and selling you a new one at MSRP/retail. That's a "heads he wins, tails you lose" situation. What deals do his competitors offer you? Buyer beware. Your time spent in shopping the market may be beneficial to you regardless of how you choose to proceed.
There is a good reason why your dealer could afford to reduce the price so drastically. All RAM 2500 and 3500 trucks are made in Mexico and imported duty free to the U.S. That gives them a hefty price advantage over Ford. Not so much over GM because they also make and import 40% of their pick ups from Mexico.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
There is a good reason why your dealer could afford to reduce the price so drastically. All RAM 2500 and 3500 trucks are made in Mexico and imported duty free to the U.S. That gives them a hefty price advantage over Ford. Not so much over GM because they also make and import 40% of their pick ups from Mexico.
They are bad trucks, mean trucks that will do unspeakable things to other trucks! We need to send all these 3/4, 1 ton hombres back to Mekico right away! I also propose we build a set of really high curbs to keep them out and make them pay for it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
One born every minute

I only had to read the beginning of your post to understand what's happening. "We really want to buy your truck"?!?! No they don't. They have a whole lot full of those things. They began the conversation with a lie. I would cross the county line to find an honest dealer. These guys have established that are not telling you the truth about anything.

They don't want your truck. They probably won't even keep it on the lot. They want you to trade it in and buy a new one. Why don't you find out how much they want to buy your truck for? They told you they wanted to buy your truck. ask them for how much. Tell them you really need time to research what your next vehicle will be but for now they "Can buy your truck". They either won't buy it or will offer you jack zip for the thing. Get their price and list it here for that price on the forum for a fellow Airstreamer. After it sells in 10 minutes, go and negotiate for a much better deal without a trade in. Also, get pre-approved from your credit union or bank so you don't get screwed on financing. Many services are offered by Banks and CUs to negotiate for you. Also Costco will do the same.

Or....you can fall for one of the oldest tricks in the book. If you want a new truck, find an honest dealer. Sorry to be blunt but you're being manipulated.
picklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #28
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My German/Mexican truck came with real papers as it crossed the border.
Not an illegal alien but a legal immigrant.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklcat View Post
I only had to read the beginning of your post to understand what's happening. "We really want to buy your truck"?!?! No they don't. They have a whole lot full of those things. They began the conversation with a lie. I would cross the county line to find an honest dealer. These guys have established that are not telling you the truth about anything.

They don't want your truck. They probably won't even keep it on the lot. They want you to trade it in and buy a new one. Why don't you find out how much they want to buy your truck for? They told you they wanted to buy your truck. ask them for how much. Tell them you really need time to research what your next vehicle will be but for now they "Can buy your truck". They either won't buy it or will offer you jack zip for the thing. Get their price and list it here for that price on the forum for a fellow Airstreamer. After it sells in 10 minutes, go and negotiate for a much better deal without a trade in. Also, get pre-approved from your credit union or bank so you don't get screwed on financing. Many services are offered by Banks and CUs to negotiate for you. Also Costco will do the same.

Or....you can fall for one of the oldest tricks in the book. If you want a new truck, find an honest dealer. Sorry to be blunt but you're being manipulated.

Well, I'm not offended by your opinion - I'm not even disagreeing per se...but I might suggest reading more than what you said you have - it's been kind of a fun conversation. [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote