Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
TV trade in temptation?

Ugh. I feel like a) this isn't necessary and b) they're trying to take advantage of me but c) I'm tempted.....here's the deal...

Went in for service this weekend on my 2013 Chevy Silverado. Had an email from sales at the dealer - hey, we really want your truck - we'll buy it from you....

I didn't talk to the sales guy. But he emailed me after the appointment was over so I told him that out of pure curiosity I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts.

He says they'd likely be in the $35K range for my 2013 Silverado 2500 diesel LTZ with 70K miles on it (which I paid about $58K for) and if traded in, there's a 2017 2500 diesel LTZ (4 door, not extended cab, which I currently have and would prefer the 4 door) that would end up costing me about $30K on top of the $35K trade in.

I kind of thought this truck was going to be the last one I ever bought. A diesel that might get me 500K miles - and even if I needed to replace the engine, that's a $10K expense, not $65K for a whole new truck. While I'm tempted to get an updated version and reset the clock back 70K miles, another $30K out of pocket seems unnecessary but oh so tempting....

What criteria would you use to decide? Would you stay with what you have? If so, why? Would you pull the trigger on a new one? If so, why? What other concerns would you have?

Thanks for your thoughts! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Stay
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'm just a number cruncher. So the one you currently have would cost out at about 31.5 cents per mile at this point, if you trade.

You mention last truck, if that's truly the case then yes you should keep it as in the long run it would save you more, based only on pricing.

Not knowing the improvements made in the last 4 years, it is an easily justifiable choice, thinking that it is only a $7000 price expense for a 4 year upgrade. I do not consider "bling items" as improvements though.

The nice part is that you never had any intention of getting a new one, so this puts you in the driver seat. Check how serious they are, tell them you did the numbers and with having to insure a new model and other factors it would need to be more like 40k, see what they say and if it isn't good just walk, you didn't want it to begin with.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think this is a common sales technique now in the auto industry.

We are getting similar offers for our Tundra. Obviously with the satellite apps they know your mileage. They know based on VIN if you have kept up with service and if you had it done at the dealer. And they know that, in our case, we are at about 60K miles. This means sometime in the next 6-12 months we will need tires, brakes, fluids.

They also know that we took out a loan when we bought the Truck about 3 years ago. (interest rates were crazy low)

They know many people live paycheck to paycheck, despite making good income and owning nice things (including nice trucks and campers)

They know that many people envision "always" having a vehicle payment anyway. So for these people, not having to come up with around 1500-2K out of pocket for standard maintenance items, and getting a new truck with 3 year Toyota care may be a tempting offer.

In our case we have the exact truck we want, hope to drive it several years once the loan is paid off, and will be able to pay for the 60,000 mile maintenance. So we evaluated this situation by asking, would you, right now today, draw $15,000, $20,000, $30,000 (or whatever The Number is between what you have and what you would be getting) in cash from your bank account to get that new vehicle in place of what you drive now?

In my mind, that is the question to be answered.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There's only two reasons to buy...

You either need a new truck or you want a new truck.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Excellent insights so far. Mojo you have really nailed it down to its essentials! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As a person that keeps his vehicles to the bitter end and bought a 30 year old motorhome to boot, you would think I'd be the first person to tell you to keep the 2013, if it were a gas model, I would; being that it is diesel though and diesels after 2007 have been going through with emission standards what gas went through in the 70's and early 80's, I'd trade it in.

The reason being is that diesel manufacturers have been trying out new systems for emissions on a continual basis, even changing systems or adding to them in mid year of the same truck. These small changes may not be seen as an engine model change but your parts person would see them as different engines. This evolution of emission systems means that your vehicle manufacturer may not stock or replace parts for emission systems that it deems out of date, obsolete or that don't conform to emission standards of today, or even in the case of VW, the emission standards of the year the car was manufactured in; God forbid the EPA finds out that GM placed cheater devices or software into your model year truck.

The last thing you want to own is a diesel truck you can't fix or find parts for or try and sell a truck that people know they can't find critical emission parts for.

This just doesn't apply to diesel trucks either as a Calgary policeman found out when the automatic climite control module failed on his 2009 F-150. He was shocked when the Ford dealer told him the part was no longer in stock anywhere in NA; when he complained to Ford, Ford told him "sorry for his luck but they couldn't do anything about it". It took him complaining to a Go Public news show to put enough heat on Ford for them to ask a manufacturer to build some new ACCM's to fix his truck and restock the parts depo's.

The other reason for trading at four years, is that it is the zenith for depreciation, after four years cars and trucks take another huge tumble. The first tumble was the day you drove it off the lot.

Another temptation....although I never advise buying first year model anything, but?

https://www.gm.com/mol/m-2016-sep-09...ax-sierra.html

Good luck with your choice.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Drive it until it drops. Or you drop. [emoji1][emoji1]
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Another reason to consider trading is warranty...at 70K miles your on your own now except for drivetrain. A new 36 month warranty sweetens the deal unless you purchased an extended warranty on your 2013.

Had any injector trouble yet? You will and it's not covered under drivetrain warranty but cost thousands and the duramax is known for failing injectors and injector pumps.

The 4 door is worth a upgrade over your extended cab. Everyone wants 4 doors these days...much more flexible.

Your at that mileage and age where if you decide to keep the 2013 it will probably be your last truck like you said. Nothing wrong with that either...just getting close to that point of no return.

Just my 2 cents...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ugh. I feel like a) this isn't necessary and b) they're trying to take advantage of me

Thanks for your thoughts! [emoji3]

You can buy a lot of diesel fuel and DEF for $30,000. At $70K miles it sounds like you have just broken it in. If you are having no problems, consider what happens if the new vehicle has problems as well as costing the additional $30K.

Of course if you have more money than you know what to do with, you can always buy another one if you get a lemon...
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I can't/won't comment on either the trade-in value of your current truck or whether or not you should trade it in on a new one (although if my warranty period were about to lapse, that would get my attention). What struck me, however, was your implication that a new truck would cost $65K. A year or so ago, I bought a new, tricked-out, Ram/Cummins 2500 Laramie crewcab after having done a lot of shopping for it & similar trucks. Yes, the dealers all called that & similar trucks of other brands a $65K truck. And when it was time to get real, that $65K pretty immediately went to $55K, which was what I ultimately paid for mine. Consequently, my reaction to your posting is that your dealer may be paying you wholesale for your trade-in and selling you a new one at MSRP/retail. That's a "heads he wins, tails you lose" situation. What deals do his competitors offer you? Buyer beware. Your time spent in shopping the market may be beneficial to you regardless of how you choose to proceed.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I certainly cannot provide any useful advise.
Heck, I traded a brand new 2016 F150 with 6000 miles to get new F250 Diesel.
But in the end, it was the truck I wanted anyway and will be a great 26U TV.
Good luck in deciding!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Cocomo , California
To me it's very simple. There is no way you need a new truck. If you want a new truck and are willing and able to part with 30k then just do it. People do it everyday.
Superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Cocomo , California
I buy a new vehicle every 10 years. Some friends think it's ridiculous that at 10 years I would get rid of a vehicle that still has so much life left, others can't believe I still have the same car after 10 years. Nobody's right or wrong. I wear a Rolex. Some friends think it's wasted money others think it's entry level. The point is we really don't need any of this stuff so there's no need to justify it. Just buy what you want and are comfortable with.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cocomo , California
You could always keep the old truck and use the saved cash to buy a big TELEVISION. They are very useful at saving awnings and keeping snobs away.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Trade in or Keep...

Everyone is different... as are everyone's wants and needs are as well.

I drive a 1999 GMC 6.0 gasser which I bought new and use as my TV and occasional around town vehicle when I need a truck to do the job. It only has 104,000 miles on it. My long time mechanic says these engines are very dependable and should easily go 250,000+ miles. He offers to buy it every time I bring it in for minor maintenance. It has the usual dings, scratches and a few small dents here and there so I don't worry about it as I would if I were driving around a new $60K truck. I paid north of $30K for this back in 1999 which I thought was too much then. But I have enjoyed not having a truck payment for the last 18 years. Insurance is much lower too. I love my son-in-law's new GMC... but not enough to spend $50k+ for a new one. Sure, I've paid for the usual new tires, batteries, fluids over the years, including a $2300 major tune up last year, but I figure I am still ahead. WAY ahead. The truck will outlast me I am sure... as someone said... Do I WANT a new truck... sure... but do I NEED a new truck... no. So... pay your money and make your choice... or not...I'd rather spend that money on something else at this point in life. I do keep playing the lotto every week though.
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I plan on keeping my 08 Duramax 10 years. Late 2018 I will trade for a 2019 model.
There is currently 158k on the odometer. Some small interior piece have broken but no big deal. I did keep a truck once until the engine blew (25 Years). I quit depending on prior to that as a TV.
MOJO said it. "I just want a new truck".
I was told by a service rep that low mileage pre DEF diesels are still desirable. I guess 158k is considered low mileage.
I still get offers from dealers though not as often. I get them for my 4 year old sedan all the time.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
Camping Through My Eyes

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Detroit , Michigan
I got the same message ( e-mail) after I took my F150 in for oil change I think all they are all sending these e-mails.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Consequently, my reaction to your posting is that your dealer may be paying you wholesale for your trade-in and selling you a new one at MSRP/retail. That's a "heads he wins, tails you lose" situation. What deals do his competitors offer you? Buyer beware. Your time spent in shopping the market may be beneficial to you regardless of how you choose to proceed.
As Piggy Bank commented, this is a common sales technique now in the auto industry. It looks to me like the dealer is shooting for something in the range of a $10K+ profit if he can talk you into this switch. That is a lot of money IMO to pay a dealer who sees you as an easy mark. I don't know what your tolerance is for getting reamed, but it makes me mad as hell. I like new stuff as much as the next guy, and driving a new vehicle is a great "high". But learning later I paid way too much for the newbie would sure take a lot of the shine off.

Tell this smooth talking hustler you want $5K more for your trade-in and the new truck for $5K less....at minimum! He'll tell you that's impossible, but don't believe it. Trucks are now the highest profit margin vehicles in his showroom and lot.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Just my opinion

We've just bought a new car on Feb. 2...paid cash.....felt good for 3 weeks and now it's a used car!
If I had my way the one we sold was fine with it's 78 K miles and we now have $29,000 less in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know....we could do a lot of different other things with that $29,000.00!!!!!!!!!
Just hind-sight I suppose.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote