Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Toyota 4 Runner 4WD limited 2017

Anyone towing a Sport 16 with this Toyota, or 2015/2016 etc .
Rated to 5000
Need 3500

Comments from anyone using one would be awesome
Thanks,
jasmine

I'm considering this for a purchase, trading my 4dr. Wrangler.
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
Jasmine, I owned a 4Runer V6 and towed a 3600 lb trailer and the 4Runner was not ever straining. The 4Runner has a conservative tow rating comapred to many overrated ratings of other vehicles. The 4Runner is rated one of the 4 best vehicles today for longevity and trouble free performance from the first day of ownership and for many miles and years in the future. It is body on frame and built like a heavy duty truck - all positives for towing. An excellent choice - go for it.
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The expert is Andrew Thomson at Can Am RV. . 10,000 rigs set up past 50 years.

Told my son when he bought a loaded 4Runner that the details of the design make it NOT a good TV per AT. All the rest is correct as to reputation.

Check with Thomson. He takes emails or calls. Considers helping as a service to others.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
Not directly responsive to your question, but may be a little helpful. I have a 2005 V8 4Runner that I use to tow our 25' FB. BUT - I don't tow it on multi-lane highways, and I don't go over 55 mph. We have a bigger truck for the long distance trips.

You are likely to get a variety of opinions on this topic, really the answer is specific to you. You're well within the weight limitations of the setup. So, other important factors include how your trailer is loaded (not too much behind the axle), the quality of the hitch setup (not the hitch, the setup), and your experience with towing. Definitely can be done safely. Have fun!

Edit - saw the response above, if you can get advice from Andy you should definitely take it.
WkendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
I have a 2014 4Runner SR5 4wd. Not really sure why the previous poster would say that these trucks are not suited for towing. I think there is a common misconception that these are unibody, front-wheel drive vehicles like the Highlander. But, the 4Runner is a body on frame truck chassis and tows pretty well.

I tow a 2016 Flying Cloud 20' and have had very good experience towing with my 4Runner. I will say though,I have been around campers and towing trailers my whole life and have a good bit of experience towing trailers. If your vehicle is setup properly with a good weight distribution and anti sway setup and you are within the tow rating of your vehicle and all components fully loaded you will be fine. Drive at a reasonable speed (I never exceed 70 and usually average 60 on the interstate). Stop early and drive defensively and you will be fine. If you have reasonable expectations of your rig and drive with care the 4Runner will more than handle a 16' Bambi.

Yes, a huge Diesel truck would tow better, but my 4Runner is an awesome daily driver and has been very dependable for my family.
flaucheux is offline   Reply With Quote