Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I agree with Jim about GC Ecodiesel mileage - mine got better afyer about 6,000 miles and I routinely get 30 - 32 mpg on my I-5 trips between Seattle and Orange County driving 65-70 mph with a 2 passengers, small dog, and luggage (no Airstream). This past weekend we got 16.7 mpg with a fully loaded AS with total weight on CAT of 11,600 lbs. No significant wind either direction on this 300 mile+ round trip on flat and mild slopes Seattle - Olympic Peninsula.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Hitching and unhitching the Equalizer from our GC seems to be much easier if I place the suspension into "tire change" mode to disable the air suspension during hitch and unhitch procedures.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
The mountains of WV will separate the men from the boys of tow vehicles
Absolutely! We drove US 52 through WV in a diesel Jetta Sportswagen - a very maneuverable car. It wasn't the ups and downs of the terrain but the constant turning and very narrow highway with no shoulder that kept my attention. And the occasional critter crossing the road merits vigilance, too. Definitely would be a challenge in the dark or with a trailer!
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #24

Currently Looking...
pflugerville , Texas
how well can you see the traffic behind you in the side view mirrors? do you all use any kind of extended side view mirrors?

thanks
4xfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Thank you to all for your helpful responses:
Yes mirrors have been a challenge, currently I have add on mirrors, purchased from Camping World, the ratchet style. Work well but some vibration.
Yes ; I have the 8 speed transmission with paddle shifters
Yes ; I have a readout for trans temp. Thus far in our 600 miles the temp has risen only 2*, from 192* to 194*. In discussion with the dealer, before AS purchase, he assured me that my JGC ( he ran the VIN #) was equipped with a heavy duty trans cooler and a supplement was not needed.
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
dlkershaw, that looks like a real decent combination, well matched. Satisfaction usually comes down to the quality of the hitch setup, amount and balance of the gear carried, and what you're expectations are.

You can control the hitch setup and loading. My complaint about the Equal-I-Zer was stiffness of the w.d. bars as opposed to a hitch with more flexible round tapered bars. It puts a lot of strain on your trailer A-frame and tow vehicle receiver when the front of the tow vehicle is raised such as entering a gas station where there is a steep dip going in.

That conventional hitch uses friction at the contact points to resist any sideways movement put on the trailer as semis pass or gusting side winds. For us it was not enough resistance to be comfortable, we were pushed around too much. That's why we got the ProPride/Hensley, which eliminates those inputs to the tow vehicle steering.

Loading is important. Place the heavy stuff near the center of the Airstream, carry as little heavy weight in the back of your GC as possible when towing because of the weight the trailer tongue adds to that area. Travel light with a light duty tow vehicle and it will work better in every way.

Towing expectations vary, and a major reason some are satisfied with such different tow vehicles. The transmission is there to enable the engine to climb and descend hills with the power and compression braking available. Use it, go slower if needed for the steep grades, use your truck/tailer brakes to assist engine compression braking as needed.

Experience builds skill and confidence. Take the rig out and tow different conditions, get some time with it and you will know exactly what it can do. You can ask what others are doing all day long on a forum and gain no experience; note that some advice comes from people with virtually none of their own.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfour View Post
how well can you see the traffic behind you in the side view mirrors? do you all use any kind of extended side view mirrors?
And that's the other thing I'll be looking for in a dedicated tow vehicle: towing mirrors that won't fly off at 60 mph in Wyoming, barely 5 hours into the drive home. :-)

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote