Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A couple "interesting" things we tack onto a TV (GPS and camera) can pull more current than you might think. They may shut off with the accessory delay .... they may not. On my 2017 F-250, they don't shut off automatically.

I agree that running for 10 or 15 minutes is not charging your battery. It also isn't doing your engine or transmission any good. Far better to come up with a different way to charge the battery. If the vehicle is in storage for many months at a time, you may need to think a bit about things like engine oil ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Another possible data point.

I parked my pickup truck in the garage for three weeks at the beginning of summer. Wasn't thinking about it, but when I got back and tried to start it, the 2012 OEM battery was darn near flat. It fired, but it was close to needing a jump. Replaced the battery, but now there is a BatteryTender sitting close by, and if I'm going to have it sit over a week, it gets hooked up with the hood up to remind me.

My wife's shiny new 2016 Prius sat for a month, and the parasitic loads killed the 12 volt battery. Guess what? That fancy pants hybrid system flat won't start unless the old-school 12 volt lead acid battery is at least mostly charged...the 200 volt traction battery was perfectly happy, but there was no way to close the relays that heat up the electronics in the hybrid controller. Total silence--not even a warning light on the dash when I tried to start it--heck, I had trouble getting the door open!

The dealer was kind and warranty replaced the destroyed battery. The Prius fleet now also has a dedicated BatteryTender close at hand next to each of their normal parking bays.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
The brake controller is always powered but should go to sleep when the brake signal is inactive (brake pedal not pressed). If you hit the brake pedal with ignition off, you should see the controller wake up.

I believe the Curt brake controller had an issue with not going to sleep. Amazon reviews talk about it killing batteries. I had one for about a year with no issues. I watched a youtube video from Curt Mfg. to learn how to set up my controller, and the guy pauses to talk about how important it is that the controller goes to sleep. From all that I infer that they had a software bug, and it's been fixed. I'd give them a call if I were you.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote