Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #21
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Good to hear. Might I suggest a cheap bit of "just in case"...replace the thermostat. My 4.7 litre Tundra started doing just this last year, in the heat of Nevada not less, temp rising drastically on climbs. Would drop on the downhill. I replaced my thermostat, problem solved. Obviously it was not opening fully any more, restricing coolant flow. While your problem seemed to be the clutch, it wouldn't hurt to add a new thermostat as well...even if not an issue now, better to be double sure than to have it slowly failing and catching you at a bad moment..
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Thomasville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Good to hear. Might I suggest a cheap bit of "just in case"...replace the thermostat. My 4.7 litre Tundra started doing just this last year, in the heat of Nevada not less, temp rising drastically on climbs. Would drop on the downhill. I replaced my thermostat, problem solved. Obviously it was not opening fully any more, restricing coolant flow. While your problem seemed to be the clutch, it wouldn't hurt to add a new thermostat as well...even if not an issue now, better to be double sure than to have it slowly failing and catching you at a bad moment..

I should have included this in my solved post, but I started with the thermostat first. I bought a new motorad failsafe thermostat. I will admit I did put it in backwards on my first attempt. I noticed this as the truck started up after the replacement. I turned it off to ensure all the fluids were at the proper level. It would then not turn back on . I figured it had to be something I did so sure enough I had popped it in wrong. AFter I corrected my mistake the normal operating temp went from 203 to 212. I couldn't get it to come down any lower even after burping the system. I took it out and put back in the factory. Did I fry the failsafe?? I guess I'll try again with a basic duralast thermostat and see if that helps??
rechewjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhisself View Post
It has been my experience that the most common cause for overheating, assuming cooling system is clean and functional, is the fan clutch. I have had No luck with aftermarket clutches. bite the bullet and get one from Dodge.

I like this answer the best, I'd replace the fan clutch first.

It makes sense.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote