Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #21
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Factory tow mirrors are the beat

I have asked about 25 campers with F150’s with tow mirrors. ALL had ordered them. I visited a couple of dealers recently and asked to see their F150’s with tow mirrors, max tow AND Heavy Duty Payload Package, only way to get 2000lb or more payload on a crew cab. Sales Managers agreed they do not order them with tow mirrors or Heavy Duty Payload Packages and directed me to the Build and Price option on Ford.com. For the cost of these TV’s you should get the colors and features you want and need. It is interesting to compare models at Ford.com. I agree with others that Bliss, smart cruise control, lane control, tons of cameras are a bit much for camping. Our one backup camera works great.

You did not ask, but if you can find or price LED headlights within your budget, they would be a great improvement over the standard lights. When I priced them for about $1000 and hit the enter button a dialogue box popped up and informed me that to accept the LED’s we needed to cancel our value equipment package at less than $1000 and add the premium equipmEnt package at Over $3000. So if we wanted the LED headlights our price went up by over $3000. We declined.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I think it also depends on the trim level of the truck. When we bought our F-150 King Ranch with the max tow package, I asked the same question. Since the Platinum and King Ranch have 360 degree cameras, each side mirror has has a camera and therefore does not allow for the factory mirrors to extend out as in so many other models. We solved the problem by after market clamp on extension mirrors for under $100. They aren't perfect, but they get you an extended view next to the stock mirrors. I also added those round convex mirrors for even more rear and side visibility.

You are wrong. You can get factory tow mirrors with the side cameras. I've ordered my trucks with the tow package and tow mirrors with the 360 Co-pilot. The clamp on extension mirrors are a waste of money.

Go back to the dealer with a list of what you want.....tow package, tow mirrors, 360 co-pilot, paint color, and whatever else you want on the truck. Make sure you look at possibly upgrading to a Lariat or higher since some things you want on the truck may be cheaper than adding individual items. And you definitely want (and need) LED headlights. I believe they are in the Lariat Ultimate package which includes navigation and satellite radio plus a lot more. You will have this for years and you should order it the way you want.

If the salesman won't order it, send me a PM. I'm in southern GA and have a salesperson I've dealt with for 5 vehicles who will be more than happy to order the truck exactly as you want it.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I too have the CEPA mirrors and they do fine for me. Mollysdad has a much better option for aftermarket if you can't get them as OEM.
My $.02
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I would check "boostautoparts.com". I bought mine for the 2020 XLT for 450. They took me about 20 minutes to change out. 2K sounds really excessive..
Actually 2K is about right if he has the factory 360 Co-pilot cameras which are built into the mirror frames. Change them out for after market and you loose the cameras and the driver side night dimming function.

The swap is easy with the factory mirrors. Plug and Play, a few bolts to put them on and off. Probably about 7 minutes per side. Dealer charge to install probably $100. And if you want the part #s, drop me a PM. I can have my local dealer look them up, but will need the VIN.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Oakland , CA
I was a complete newbie and wanted the factory tow mirrors when I purchased my F150... After fretting for a month I decided to get the CIPA mirrors that Molly's Dad suggested in earlier posts.

It was the right decision: They fit perfect, on and off easy, do the job perfectly and much less cost. Glad I save the $ for another AS item instead!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Mount Zion , Illinois
I just ordered tow mirrors for my 2019 F-150. The Ford part number is JL3Z-17696-BA. They're pricy. Over $750
TV: F-250, 7.3L Gas Engine
nadrad314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If I remember correctly, I had to go up to the Lariat trim line in order to buy the optional telescoping tow mirrors and other safety features that I wanted.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Elko , Minnesota
update to my earlier post: mine are the K-Source clip ons. $49.95 on www. right now. When I purchased my F 150, I got it off the lot in August, and that saved me well over $8K from ordering custom. Still very happy with that decision.
Old PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgaspard View Post
We are shopping for a new TV for a 23’ AS we have on order. The 2020 f150s for sale near us don’t seem to have tow mirrors. We can find some with the max tow package. We are newbies when it comes to towing but it would seem tow mirrors would be an important thing to have. Can anyone tell me if this a feasible after market type installation the dealer can do? (The salesman tells me it can be done but of course he is just trying to sell a truck)
Shop around and get the right package. We got a 2020 F-150 with max tow package, trailer backup assist, and blind spot indicators in the mirrors. No need for any special tow mirrors and I thought the same thing you did. I saved 15% on the truck outfitted just the way I wanted by shopping patiently while waiting a few months for our AS.
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Bank drive ups are very tight also, with more lobby closings I find it convenient there also.
I had the same issue with the clip on's. With the new mirrors, I simply open my window and pull in that side. I'm going to cozy up to the ATM anyway. Leave the passenger side alone.

Here's some choices on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Ridge-M.../dp/B0733JGDH7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OctoGent View Post
I was a complete newbie and wanted the factory tow mirrors when I purchased my F150... After fretting for a month I decided to get the CIPA mirrors that Molly's Dad suggested in earlier posts.
Hope you like them. They're the one's I replaced with the Trail Ridge permanent mirrors.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
If I remember correctly, I had to go up to the Lariat trim line in order to buy the optional telescoping tow mirrors and other safety features that I wanted.
You have to go with Lariat to get POWER tow mirrors. Manual fold/extend mirrors are available as an option on XL and XLT. LED headlights still start at Lariat 502a, but it looks like for '21 you can get the 360-degree camera on an XLT, and it REQUIRES the trailer mirrors (at least on an XLT.) This is from the Ford website, I haven't downloaded an ordering guide for the '21s since I'm not in the market... but I may nerd out and download one to see what's changed.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I just use the Cipa mirrors. Easy on and easy off. Inexpensive and very helpful.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Tow mirrors Ford F-150

Here is my experience with tow mirrors for Ford F-150. I bought a 2015 Ford F-150!at the end of the model year. Dealer promised that that would swap then factory mirrors for tow mirrors. They kept the truck till they got the extras I purchased and installed to mirrors. Didn’t hear from the dealer so I called and they said they were having trouble getting mirrors to work with electric adjuster. After month they called and asked me if I wanted a refund. I asked why and they figured out that trucks computer won’t drive the electric mirrors that are towing mirrors. You must order a truck with the max tow package that had the right computer for towing mirrors. But with max tow you get a 36 gallon gas tank instead of a 25 gallon tank plus a better geared rear end for towing and a locking rear end. Don’t let dealer tell you they can swap small mirrors for towing mirrors and they will work, they won’t. So dealer ended up ordering me a 2016 with max tow package. Got a 2016 truck with better equipment list price was 17 thousand dollars more and I got the truck for what I had paid them for the end of the year price for the 2015.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
Most dealers tend to train their sales people to discourage orders and instead push for a sale from inventory. This produces a quick commission for the sales person. The lead times can be long on orders, and no commission until the sale closes. If the sale falls through the dealer can be stuck with a hard to sell unit. Odds a good in looking for a smaller dealership, who will have someone who will take the time to find a way to get your truck optioned just as you want it. Many time this also saves money by not being forced to take a package with options you don't need just to get the options you want.
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
After reading this string, I pulled out my order sheet and vehicle description sheet on my F-150 Lariat with Max Trailer Tow Package. I only paid $250 to add the "Mirror Power Tele/Glass/Fold Auto Start/Stop Mirrors." They are awesome but I had to develop a reflexive reaction to close them whenever I travel a narrow street or bridge.
Going back to xyzabc's point above, you should be able to order a Ford truck to your exact specs. If a salesman is referring you on line to 'build' your own truck, I would find a dealership who will spend a couple of hours with you to order the truck you want and who explains the advantages/disadvantages of the options - the trim lines and packages are complex and sometimes confusing so a motivated Ford salesman can help you sort it out. BTW - if you can wait until May/June when Ford's annual Memorial Day sale kicks in, you can get some decent discounts. I ordered my truck on May 26th and received it on September 6th. Yes, it took awhile but it was exactly what I wanted. And gave me more time to save.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Bought my 2017 F-150 XLT used. Dealer assured me they could install towing mirrors after the sale. Mirrors would cost $1400. What he told me after the sale was that installation would be $2500 on top of the mirror cost. Then he suggested I buy aftermarket, non-power folding mirrors with manual extension for around $230 off Amazon. Installed them in about 30 minutes. They worked fine until recently when i broke one backing into a tight spot. I put the old original mirrors back on the truck as I’m not towing during the winter.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #37

Freeport , ME
I have a 2019 Ford F150. Bought snap on mirrors for the truck on Amazon. These work great, easy on easy off. Reasonable price. Specific for the F150. Travelled across the US and found these to be essential.

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-81...7287257&sr=8-6
MacMc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
After reading this string, I pulled out my order sheet and vehicle description sheet on my F-150 Lariat with Max Trailer Tow Package. I only paid $250 to add the "Mirror Power Tele/Glass/Fold Auto Start/Stop Mirrors." They are awesome but I had to develop a reflexive reaction to close them whenever I travel a narrow street or bridge.
Going back to xyzabc's point above, you should be able to order a Ford truck to your exact specs. If a salesman is referring you on line to 'build' your own truck, I would find a dealership who will spend a couple of hours with you to order the truck you want and who explains the advantages/disadvantages of the options - the trim lines and packages are complex and sometimes confusing so a motivated Ford salesman can help you sort it out. BTW - if you can wait until May/June when Ford's annual Memorial Day sale kicks in, you can get some decent discounts. I ordered my truck on May 26th and received it on September 6th. Yes, it took awhile but it was exactly what I wanted. And gave me more time to save.
I think the middle ground is the way to go here. You definitely want a sales rep who's willing to put in the effort to help you put your order together, but frankly most car sales reps aren't experts on their own product. There were several particular items and combinations that the salesman thought were not available the way I told him to configure the truck. I had gone over the ordering guide beforehand and knew precisely how it worked and told him to try it the way I specified, and I have the truck I wanted.

There are 2 schools of thought on this... most people take the attitude that "I'm spending a bunch of money, they should work for it." I think they should definitely work for me, but I know that the reality is that they want/need to close the sale, and it's *MY* money paying for the truck, so I do my work ahead of time and I've been happy with the results. Besides, when you know more about what you're buying than the sales rep, it intimidates them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
David - the first Ford dealership I visited, I was not impressed with the salesman. He was patronizing as hell but I test drove one of the trucks on the lot to make sure the Ford was right for me. Than I told him I needed to think about which options I wanted (I knew exactly what I wanted) and would get back to him. He said to me: "Well, when you're ready to buy, remember it was ME who spent the time with you." As though I owed him! I visited another Ford dealership a few weeks later and got a manager to sit down with me to do the order. He was great, knew the trucks inside and out, drove one himself. We spent over 3 hours ordering it. In retrospect, it was good that I was NOT in a hurry. I would have just kept visiting dealerships until I found the right salesperson for me!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
I tow my 23fb with a f150 and standard mirrors and a rear camera on the trailer. As others have stated this setup works fine since the 23 is 6” narrower than larger airstreams. Visibility is fine and the rear/side warning system works well.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote