Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

2021 23' Globetrotter
Arlington , Virginia
Tow mirrors for Ford F-150

We are shopping for a new TV for a 23’ AS we have on order. The 2020 f150s for sale near us don’t seem to have tow mirrors. We can find some with the max tow package. We are newbies when it comes to towing but it would seem tow mirrors would be an important thing to have. Can anyone tell me if this a feasible after market type installation the dealer can do? (The salesman tells me it can be done but of course he is just trying to sell a truck)
Bgaspard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgaspard View Post
We are shopping for a new TV for a 23’ AS we have on order. The 2020 f150s for sale near us don’t seem to have tow mirrors. We can find some with the max tow package. We are newbies when it comes to towing but it would seem tow mirrors would be an important thing to have. Can anyone tell me if this a feasible after market type installation the dealer can do? (The salesman tells me it can be done but of course he is just trying to sell a truck)
I would ask them to search other dealers inventory until they find a truck you like with the factory installed tow mirrors. I have read it can be done after the build, but as I recall it was super expensive.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I think it also depends on the trim level of the truck. When we bought our F-150 King Ranch with the max tow package, I asked the same question. Since the Platinum and King Ranch have 360 degree cameras, each side mirror has has a camera and therefore does not allow for the factory mirrors to extend out as in so many other models. We solved the problem by after market clamp on extension mirrors for under $100. They aren't perfect, but they get you an extended view next to the stock mirrors. I also added those round convex mirrors for even more rear and side visibility.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
There are many companies that make aftermarket tow mirrors, with many different price points and quality levels. Some are expensive, but typically they cost less than OE mirrors. I installed a set of tow mirrors on my GMC Denali 1500 from Boost Auto. They look and function identically to OE mirrors, and the installation was pretty simple. It took me a couple of hours in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	384305  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
abqdor has it partially right. It's a fairly trivial add the Ford tow-mirrors to an XLT but once you get up to the Lariat, the tow mirrors are power fold/extend and the mirrors themselves are more expensive, plus you need to change a switch on the armrest and to tell the truck's computers that it has the special mirrors. The mirrors that cost you $250 as an option on a new build come out to over $1k by the time they're installed after-the-fact. I custom-ordered my truck because I wanted it just so, and it's hard to find a Lariat with the tow mirrors on a dealer lot.

However, the Lariat-and-up power-extend-and-fold mirrors are also available with the cameras for the 360-view (I have this option) and the trailer mirrors are available on Limteds and KRs and Platinums.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I bought a 2020 XLT. I actually ordered it, but on the F150 XLT they can’t put towing mirrors on it if you have BLISS. For some unknown reason FORD will do that with the next model up, but not the XLT. I guess it’s a marketing gimmick. So I bought the mirrors from boostautoparts.com. Very nice mirrors. Heated, puddle lamp, BLISS, etc. Took me 20 minutes to put them on; only because I had to get the right tools. It was very simple. Cost I believe was about $450. Now that I have towing mirrors I realized the BLISS system isn’t as needed. Still like the BLISS though. So IF you can find and F150 you like and it doesn’t have towing mirrors, you might be able to get them. I suppose it would depend upon the trim level, etc. And as stated above you might have an issue with certain trim levels.

The only downside is they don’t automatically fold in, but only need to do that when I go through the car wash. Not big deal. I just get out and fold them in.

I also did keep my old mirrors. I probably will put them on in the Winter when I’m not towing much and that’s when I use the car washes more. Again doesn’t take long to switch them out.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the soon-to-be-yours Airstream! Adding tow mirrors can be done after market but depending on the features of the truck can be absurdly expensive. I used CIPA slide on mirrors on the Tundra I used to have. Worked just fine and didn't have any issues. When we switched to the F-150 we got lucky and found one with the factory tow mirrors. I'm a big fan. Much nicer for towing, but a bit more inconvenient at the grocery store or fast food drive thru.

How long until your new AS will be ready for delivery? If you've got some time I'd seriously consider ordering the F-150 to get it exactly the way you want it. There are a lot of options that aren't common that you might really want if a larger AS could be in your future (HDPP, 6 1/2 bed, etc).
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
Definitely spec and order what you need, not what a dealer has on the lot. Use Ford's web site to generate a "build sheet", and send to local and not so local dealers and ask for pricing, and confirm all current price breaks are included. If you're a Costco member, check for a Ford dealer. For us, they had the best price by a hair, but taxes were better further out. It's worth the wait to get "your" truck.
vlaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
I’m in the same dilemma. Bought a 2020 F150 Lariat and a 2021 25’ Int. After we bought the trailer we towed 500 miles home with factory mirrors. If they just extended out a little farther they would be fine. I guess I could live with it but in reality to be safe the extended mirrors are needed. Ford wanted $2k to change them out.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
I’m in the same dilemma. Bought a 2020 F150 Lariat and a 2021 25’ Int. After we bought the trailer we towed 500 miles home with factory mirrors. If they just extended out a little farther they would be fine. I guess I could live with it but in reality to be safe the extended mirrors are needed. Ford wanted $2k to change them out.
I would check "boostautoparts.com". I bought mine for the 2020 XLT for 450. They took me about 20 minutes to change out. 2K sounds really excessive.

Also for anyone thinking about a 2020 can't order the 2020's any longer. You will need to get the 2021s. Which have more power than the 2020's for the 3.5 eco boost. They do have power folding mirrors if you have that feature on your Lariat. If you don't it really isn't a big deal to fold them in. I hardly ever do it; except when going through a car wash.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
FYI - you can get heated, power folding mirrors from Boost Auto. That’s what I installed.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
abqdor is correct - personally I would not buy an F-150 without max tow with tow mirror. We spent over 2 months looking for our and believe me the max tow + mirrors is really require.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I installed a set of tow mirrors on my Tundra. I got them from 1A Auto since they had the best price. I could have bought cheaper on Amazon but I decided on the 'Trail Ridge' brand. Installation took about an hour, it was plug and play, and I love the new mirrors, no more clips on's!
I'm sure if you look through some suppliers, you'll find the mirrors you need.

The last thing I'd do is let the dealer install theirs. I bought mine for $269 and to have a dealer install the Toyota ones would have been $1500!

BTW, I would not recommend buying a mirror with functions you don't have. If your F-150 doesn't have power fold now, buying mirrors with power fold is expensive and you don't have the functionality. There's a ton of choices including blind spot monitoring, puddle lights, power fold, heat. I did gain the LED's in the mirror since the wiring harness was pre-wired, but unless you have blind spot monitor now, you don't need it in the mirror. I've never seen power extend.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post

They do have power folding mirrors if you have that feature on your Lariat. If you don't it really isn't a big deal to fold them in. I hardly ever do it; except when going through a car wash.

Bank drive ups are very tight also, with more lobby closings I find it convenient there also.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Tumwater , Washington
We tow a 23’ with a 2019 F-150 and decided that standard side mirrors were sufficient when using the dash mounted rear view camera. Our visibility all round is excellent. We also have standard warning system that detects/signals passing cars in the blind zone.
T James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Elko , Minnesota
Smile

I tow with a '17 F150 Lariat, max tow but stock mirrors. I bought clip-on, not the strap version, mirrors for less than $100that work great for me. They don't interfere with the BLISS, turn signals, ground lights, and fold with the stock mirrors without touching the door or windows. They are black which matches my truck but cover up the "chrome". I took them off for winter, but put them back on for the view close in to the tailgate due to a bike rack I made that goes over the bed. They mount in 10 seconds. There is no brand marked on them, but came from the "interweb". ps: my '17 ecoboost has no power issues pulling my '17 25' FC. I've only put 12K miles on this rig, but that includes the Smokies, Rockies, and Black Hills.
Old PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
As others have mentioned you can get reasonably priced after market tow mirrors. When I bought my 2019 f150 HDPP/max tow....it didn't have tow mirrors. I got the dealership to install some. My last 2012 f150, I went the after market route. After market will be cheaper but I wanted the tow mirrors as soon as I got the truck this time around.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Since the late model Super Duty and the F150 body and door are identical now, I would think you can add mirrors off either/or to a F150 with the same functionality.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
K-Source Snap & Zap Custom Towing Mirrors have worked well on my Platinum. I like having them off doe daily driving.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Just bought

We just bought and installed tow mirrors on our 2018 F150 from Boost Auto. The company was easy to work with and the mirrors work great. Check for YouTube video on how to install. It was not difficult at all.
llanderson64 is offline   Reply With Quote