Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
New Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Pasadena , Maryland
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
After market tow mirrors for 2017 Ford Expedition

I'm using Cipa universal towing mirrors but I still cannot see down the sides of the 25' flying cloud.
Does anyone tow with a 2017 Ford Expedition EL and if so, what mirrors do you have?
Thanks,
Andy
LiminDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
I have a set of add-on mirrors that were used two times on my 2016 Expy before it became an F250.
Good visibility with them. I will check on the brand tonight.
brick
__________________
brick
2018 International Serenity
Cute wife...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
The mirrors I used are the Dometic DM 2912. $102 on Amazon. I was able to adjust them far out, so I had good field of view to the rear. No noticeable vibration. Overall, I was pleased.
brick
__________________
brick
2018 International Serenity
Cute wife...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
New Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Pasadena , Maryland
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Many thanks for your help. Hopefully these will work for me.

Andy
LiminDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
EAGLE VISION

Add a CIPA rectangular convex mirror.

Test effectiveness by measuring convergence. Should be under 100.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
LeatherDog's Avatar
 
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 50
Andy,

I have the McKesh Portable Towing Mirrors. Once adjusted, they mount very easily onto the Expedition. They need to stick out pretty far but give a good line of sight down both sides of the trailer.
__________________
Steve

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
Bill IVERS's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LAMY , New Mexico
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Trail Ridge Tow Mirrors for 2017 Expedition

I have just installed Trail Ridge Tow mirrors on my 2017 Expedition EL Limited. I bought them from 1A Auto. I had to wait a few months to get them as they were sold out.

https://www.1aauto.com/2015-ford-exp...8/1019279/2015

There are several models of Trail Ridge Mirrors for the 2015 Expedition. You must match up the features your current mirrors have with the Trail Ridge models. My Expedition has blind-spot indicators as the defining feature. If you don't match up the features of the OEM mirror and the Trail Ridge Mirror the new mirrors will not function properly. In my instance if I did not install the Trail Ridge Mirror with the blind-spot indicator a warning on the instrument panel would have indicated the blind-spot indicators where not functioning properly.

The mirrors are manual extend and manual fold. So by installing the new mirrors I lost the power fold feature of the OEM mirrors. I feel this is a small price to pay to have OEM quality tow mirrors on my Expedition, instead of the clip on tow mirrors.

These are for a 2015 Expedition, Trail Ridge and 1A Auto will say they do not fit any year except 2015. But they are not entirely correct. After doing my research I appears that Ford OEM mirrors are all the same from 2010-2017 (2018 is when the new Expedition platform came out and everything changed.) I mounted the mirrors this weekend and the install was fairly easy. I did encounter the reason Trail Ridge is claiming that the mirrors don't fit my 2017.

At the bottom of the mirror mount that attaches to the door there is the housing for the very large bottom hinge of the mirror. Where this hinge is located it is obstructed from mounting flush because of the wire harness for the keyless entry on the drivers door. You will need to reroute this wire harness. I had simply pushed the wire harness above the hinge's location and mounted the mirror. This is what caused me my problem.

After I had mounted the mirrors and reassembled the inside door panel I found that one of the buttons on the keyless entry was not working. I removed the door panel and removed the new mirror. By pushing the wire harness up to avoid the housing for the mirror hinge, I had pushed it too close to one of the mounting bolt for the mirror. When I tightened then nuts I the wire harness was pinched and broke one of the wires in the harness.

After repairing the broken wire I examined the routing of the harness more closely. The wire harness for the keyless entry needs to avoid both the hinge and mounting hardware. As the wire harness exits the chrome covered trim along the bottom of the window I routed the harness straight up along the frame. Once the harness was above the lower right mounting stud and clear of the hardware I routed it to the left to the hole it passes through to the interior of the door. I taped the wire harness in place.

After remounted the mirrors and plugged in all the wire harnesses that you need to unplug to remove the inside door panel. I tested all the switches, and the keyless entry key pad to confirm everything was working. With the testing successfully completed I mounted the door panel to the inside of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201108_234623078_Crop.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	383012   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201108_234635778_crop.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	383013  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201108_234646325_crop.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	383014  
Bill IVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
New Member
 
Dearborn , MI
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Power Folding?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the detailed explanation as well as the pics. I also have a 2017 Expedition EL and I am looking to add the tow mirrors. The question that I have is regarding factory mirrors and the power folding functionality. The factory mirrors are power folding and when I am attempting to match up with the proper Trail Ridge mirrors, I do not see the power folding feature on the Trail Ridge. I am not concerned with the having the power folding mirror functionality on the Trail Ridge mirror... more so looking to ensure I match up the proper mirror. Were your stock mirrors power folding and if so, did the manual folding mirrors pose any issues?

Thank you again for your in-depth explanation.

-Chet


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill IVERS View Post
I have just installed Trail Ridge Tow mirrors on my 2017 Expedition EL Limited. I bought them from 1A Auto. I had to wait a few months to get them as they were sold out.

https://www.1aauto.com/2015-ford-exp...8/1019279/2015

There are several models of Trail Ridge Mirrors for the 2015 Expedition. You must match up the features your current mirrors have with the Trail Ridge models. My Expedition has blind-spot indicators as the defining feature. If you don't match up the features of the OEM mirror and the Trail Ridge Mirror the new mirrors will not function properly. In my instance if I did not install the Trail Ridge Mirror with the blind-spot indicator a warning on the instrument panel would have indicated the blind-spot indicators where not functioning properly.

The mirrors are manual extend and manual fold. So by installing the new mirrors I lost the power fold feature of the OEM mirrors. I feel this is a small price to pay to have OEM quality tow mirrors on my Expedition, instead of the clip on tow mirrors.

These are for a 2015 Expedition, Trail Ridge and 1A Auto will say they do not fit any year except 2015. But they are not entirely correct. After doing my research I appears that Ford OEM mirrors are all the same from 2010-2017 (2018 is when the new Expedition platform came out and everything changed.) I mounted the mirrors this weekend and the install was fairly easy. I did encounter the reason Trail Ridge is claiming that the mirrors don't fit my 2017.

At the bottom of the mirror mount that attaches to the door there is the housing for the very large bottom hinge of the mirror. Where this hinge is located it is obstructed from mounting flush because of the wire harness for the keyless entry on the drivers door. You will need to reroute this wire harness. I had simply pushed the wire harness above the hinge's location and mounted the mirror. This is what caused me my problem.

After I had mounted the mirrors and reassembled the inside door panel I found that one of the buttons on the keyless entry was not working. I removed the door panel and removed the new mirror. By pushing the wire harness up to avoid the housing for the mirror hinge, I had pushed it too close to one of the mounting bolt for the mirror. When I tightened then nuts I the wire harness was pinched and broke one of the wires in the harness.

After repairing the broken wire I examined the routing of the harness more closely. The wire harness for the keyless entry needs to avoid both the hinge and mounting hardware. As the wire harness exits the chrome covered trim along the bottom of the window I routed the harness straight up along the frame. Once the harness was above the lower right mounting stud and clear of the hardware I routed it to the left to the hole it passes through to the interior of the door. I taped the wire harness in place.

After remounted the mirrors and plugged in all the wire harnesses that you need to unplug to remove the inside door panel. I tested all the switches, and the keyless entry key pad to confirm everything was working. With the testing successfully completed I mounted the door panel to the inside of the door.
Brucewayne87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Bill IVERS's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LAMY , New Mexico
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Chet,
Unfortunately, there is not a power fold option. To match with your current mirrors the matching points are off the three points below.
  • Mirror Blind Spot Option:*Blind Spot Detection
  • Mirror Signal Type:*Turn Signal
  • Mirror Memory Type:*Memory

Regards,

Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewayne87 View Post
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the detailed explanation as well as the pics. I also have a 2017 Expedition EL and I am looking to add the tow mirrors. The question that I have is regarding factory mirrors and the power folding functionality. The factory mirrors are power folding and when I am attempting to match up with the proper Trail Ridge mirrors, I do not see the power folding feature on the Trail Ridge. I am not concerned with the having the power folding mirror functionality on the Trail Ridge mirror... more so looking to ensure I match up the proper mirror. Were your stock mirrors power folding and if so, did the manual folding mirrors pose any issues?

Thank you again for your in-depth explanation.

-Chet
Bill IVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Bill IVERS's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LAMY , New Mexico
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
I have created an Excel Spreadsheet with the 3 options and prices that are current on the 1AAuto site. Interestingly, the mirror with the most functional features is not the most expensive.

Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill IVERS View Post
Chet,
Unfortunately, there is not a power fold option. To match with your current mirrors the matching points are off the three points below.
  • Mirror Blind Spot Option:*Blind Spot Detection
  • Mirror Signal Type:*Turn Signal
  • Mirror Memory Type:*Memory

Regards,

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-09 062832.png
Views:	62
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	392793  
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Trail_RIdge_Mirror_Expedition.xlsx (10.6 KB, 11 views)
Bill IVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill IVERS View Post
Interestingly, the mirror with the most functional features is not the most expensive.
I found that also when I shopped for Trail Ridge mirrors. The one's with puddle lights were $20 LESS than those without. I've often wondered if I should have tried them because the OEM wiring harness has a lot of wires for features the stock mirrors don't use.
I can tell the OP that I too ditched the CIPA in favor of the Trail Ridge, just for convenience. However, I can't say the view is any wider with the Trail Ridge. (They're bigger, but don't stick out any more)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #12
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
 
az-streamer's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 623
Images: 20
Recently traded in my 2009 F150 for a 2020 Expedition. While it came tow ready with a full HD tow package, no tow mirrors are available for this model.
Would really like to know Ford's reasoning behind this. Especially since the Expedition shares baby of the F150 components.
Most available tow mirrors are aftermarket strap on and don't really look that good.
Other than that the Expedition pulls our 2014 25' Flying Cloud with ease.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 1
I realize the OP probably solved his issue long ago, but since others read these gems, let me point out that an Airstream is 8.5' wide, the legal limit. Tow mirrors are not going to allow you to see the sides of the trailer since they'd need to be even wider.
I can see the adjacent lanes alongside the trailer just fine, and probably 40' past the trailer. Incorporate a rear view camera in the Trailer and you've got a pretty complete view of the road.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Ford Expedition towing intl serenity 30' JaapOvergaag Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 6 09-27-2017 06:02 AM
Tow Mirrors for Painted Stock Ford F150 Lariat Rear View Mirrors Vinster Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 16 02-08-2017 04:47 AM
Ford Expedition 2014 Towing Mirrors jonathansimo Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 3 02-01-2016 11:39 PM
After market vs factory tow package blumob Tow Vehicles 4 06-27-2012 06:16 AM
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L w/ Tow Package savage_here Tow Vehicles 32 07-17-2009 12:54 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.