Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Plan-B did a nice job of summarizing some of the pitfalls of a modern diesel emission systems.
I installed an extra Mopar factory fuel/water seperator on my truck so it can better handle the bio-fuels encountered along the interstate. This is the same filter system used on the cab-chassis models.
Even with the emission headaches I would have a tough time selling my Dodge diesel. I would buy another but it would be a 2013 or newer with the DEF system. As Plan-B said above, I am careful in the amount of idle time and slow driving. I have yet to have the trucks computer tell me that I must go on a long drive to complete a regeneration process.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Why a truck at all, is a better question.
Read the first post, then ask your question.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Crispyboy, the newer Rams have moved to a 2 seperate fuel and water separator system. Probably the same one you have installed. They have made it very easy to reach in without tools and drain the water accumulators. I am particularly found if this. My Early GM did not have a water separator and I sucked water into the engine from a bad station. Cracked a head. Definitely put an after market one in after that.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Here is a photo of the auxilliary fuel filter. The wire on the drain plug is tied into the trucks computer to illuminate the "Water in Fuel" light on the dash. The filter head on this system is also heated. The system works on trucks up to and including 2012 then things changed as Plan-B said.
I assume these kits are still available but if not Fleetgard filtration makes a kit that very similar and uses a more common filter thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	auxillary fuel filter.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	258847
WBCCI # 3072
Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
New ones same basic concept but with out the heater. Like the heater idea to warm the fuel on sub zero days before fuel entering filter.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The new ones should have the heater as there was a TSB (tsb 14-005-13) for 2013 trucks where the factory forgot to reconfigure the TIPM to activate the fuel heater.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Why a truck at all, is a better question.
With capable sedans, SUVs and trucks it's a good question we asked ourselves. The answer was SUV, it would suit our lifestyle best and allow us to combine our towing and daily driver needs into one vehicle.

We did the research, and went shopping looking for the most suitable vehicle for the cash money we have saved and were willing to spend.

Well, we got the best possible price and trade-in value for a nice, fully equipped SUV. Looked at each other and said, we can buy a comparably equipped nice, fully equipped diesel 1/2 ton truck with nearly as nice a ride for over $10,000 less. Not on sticker price, but discounts, incentives, 0% interest loans, negotiation, and very good trade-in value for the truck we had (they sold it within days, should have pressed for more).

So that's why we bought a truck two weeks ago, she picked the color (pearl white, tan and brown interior) and I picked the engine, axles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
With capable sedans, SUVs and trucks it's a good question we asked ourselves. The answer was SUV, it would suit our lifestyle best and allow us to combine our towing and daily driver needs into one vehicle.

We did the research, and went shopping looking for the most suitable vehicle for the cash money we have saved and were willing to spend.

Well, we got the best possible price and trade-in value for a nice, fully equipped SUV. Looked at each other and said, we can buy a comparably equipped nice, fully equipped diesel 1/2 ton truck with nearly as nice a ride for over $10,000 less. Not on sticker price, but discounts, incentives, 0% interest loans, negotiation, and very good trade-in value for the truck we had (they sold it within days, should have pressed for more).

So that's why we bought a truck two weeks ago, she picked the color (pearl white, tan and brown interior) and I picked the engine, axles.
I obviously haven't driven an EcoDiesel while towing but I have driven them around unladen. They are amazing trucks to drive. I couldn't believe how nicely the coil spring 1500's soaked up road bumps the first time I was in one.
I thought hard about that truck! I just like my trucks optioned up and we resemble the Clampits when we travel! I couldn't resist the payload of the 2500.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote