Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The process of selecting a new truck

I recently wrote a "final report" post about the tow vehicle we used for the first 4 years of towing our Airstream. That particular truck was chosen as a tow vehicle, well, because I owned it when we bought the Bambi. As with all vehicles, it was a mixture of awesome and not so awesome...just like most things in life.

It was time for a change though and this was an opportunity to start with a clean slate!
Everything from vehicle genre to engine type, from brand to color was up for consideration here... What an opportunity! What fun! I've been shopping...and it's the kind of shopping I like! I researched, we discussed, I wrote, we looked, we test drove...
Believe me when I say that I considered everything.
Having spent my life surrounded by automobiles in my work, I have shed most of my brand allegiance. All car companies have had successes and failures. "You pays your money and you takes your choice"

This meant our slate was full. One at a time, we slowly whittled away at the list. Some vehicles were eliminated and then later reconsidered (we ended up with one of those...)
Information gleaned from one search was added to the list of criteria and everything reconsidered again... I tried to keep the search rational but I also allowed a healthy mix of emotion into the mix. What is life without a little emotion? So how did we decide?

One of the most important lessons learned in the 6 1/2 years that we owned it was that we both loved being in a truck while on the road. There is just something nice about sitting up a little higher and the associated ability to see more around you. There is something nice about the way a long wheelbase vehicle (even a stiffly sprung one) soaks up the miles on the road. There is something nice about the space in a crew cab truck...room to spare! There is just something nice about being able to haul all of our important camping stuff along for the ride and not have to feel like you are living with it!
We liked our truck!

So, what truck? I considered the new Ridgeline. In the end I was concerned about the height of the bed. We want our Big Green Egg MiniMax along with us! It's important. Although the new Ridgeline isn't out yet I am fairly sure that the MiniMax will not fit in that bed under a tonneau. Why a tonneau? I don't like toppers. Why not? I don't know. I simply don't... Anyway, scratch the Ridgeline. It's not even out yet. I did take away one thing from my Ridgeline research though, the importance of turning diameter. The old Ridgeline has a turning diameter of about 42 feet. That is more than 5 feet less than our last truck. That would have been nice! Getting our Airstream turned around in our driveway has always been a challenge and a tow vehicle with a smaller turning diameter would be a bonus! Also, one with a larger turning diameter would be a disaster.

Gone from consideration where the Fords (I was tired of ours anyway, but I considered one anyway) the large GMC's (very large turning diameters! Some of the largest!)

What's left? The GMC Canyon, Toyota Tundra and the Ram line of trucks.
The Canyon line is interesting. It should have been higher on my list. Somehow I let that emotion thing got in the way and although I like the trucks, they were not for us. The same thing happened when I looked at the Toyota. Just because I wanted something other than emotion as a reason to reject a vehicle I used the "Payload" card for the GMC Canyon. This also cleared the Ram 1500 out too. I've read all of the rationalization and arguments for and against paying attention to payload ratings. In the end, our experience with our own overloaded truck and the way it felt when hauling a big load both with and without the Airstream being towed gave me reason to pause. It just doesn't feel good to drive it with too much weight in it. I also always had an uneasy feeling when towing and loaded up... The truck felt so good when it wasn't loaded compared to when loaded that I simply don't want to ignore payload ratings.

That was too bad as I really like the Ram 1500! Small turning diameter, air suspension, good looking interior and an interesting Diesel engine kept it at the top of the list. The payload rating and the apparent lack of headroom made it a doubtful list topper.

So that leaves the Toyota. They are reliable, they have a decent payload rating, they are available, they have headroom, they, they...left me cold. Sorry, nothing against Toyota owners, I simply do not want one.

So, this is getting long, what did I buy? Well, I kept going back to Ram dealers and sitting in trucks to see if I could find the headroom I wanted. Come to find out, if I adjusted the seat properly, I seemed ok. Close but ok...

Then there was the payload thing...what to do?

Well here is what we did. We have only driven it about 900 miles now, 450 without the trailer and 450 miles with but wow, what a truck! It is overkill in terms of towing but it sure is fun.It pulled our little Bambi up the hills around Asheville like it wasn't there. The exhaust brake is like a dream to use, it is incredibly comfortable, it has the RamBox option that swallows up all of our stuff, the stuff that we used to keep in plastic containers or "somewhere" in the bed of the truck.
And it makes the best engine sounds I've ever heard! Really!

Anyway, to be fair there are negatives. It does ride a bit rougher on the small "stutter bumps" that cause those big axels to hop. The rest of the time the ride is nicer than our F-150 though.
The steering is recirculating ball rather than Rack and pinion so the feel is different. I am not a fan of most electric rack and pinion steering anyway, I prefer the old hydraulic type every time...
Anyway the steering is not as crisp as the steering we had in the Ford.
That's about it for now.

Remember, we bought this truck for us, not for you. I'm not being critical of your tow vehicle at all. If it works for you I am happy for you. I came away from his exercise with greater understanding of why people do what they do and I think it's great. Many thanks to the people who wrote here and other places of their experiences. It all helps!

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	258669  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
By the way, the truck is a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 6.7, rear air suspension and it has a turning diameter of 44'. That is a little more than 3' less than the F-150 we were driving...
Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Sounds very similar to my truck search some 10 years ago. All full size trucks were on the table. I was partial to Toyota and was waiting for their new Tundra before making a decision. With the diesels it was Ford #1 on my list, GMC a viable second and I figured I had to look at the Dodge just because but I could never see myself buying a Chrysler product, especially new. For my own reasons, primarily driving characteristics with the shorter wheel base than the others, I came home with a Dodge 3500. After 145,000 miles I'm still plenty happy with it, and that's a good thing because current personal economics preclude any new trucks in my driveway. I shopped and bought a truck with the intention of getting an Airstream but ended up with a fifth wheel. After four fifth wheels I'm now finally giving the Airstream a try so the old Dodge is going to do what it was initially purchased to do.

Good luck with the new truck.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7beard View Post
Sounds very similar to my truck search some 10 years ago. All full size trucks were on the table. I was partial to Toyota and was waiting for their new Tundra before making a decision. With the diesels it was Ford #1 on my list, GMC a viable second and I figured I had to look at the Dodge just because but I could never see myself buying a Chrysler product, especially new. For my own reasons, primarily driving characteristics with the shorter wheel base than the others, I came home with a Dodge 3500. After 145,000 miles I'm still plenty happy with it, and that's a good thing because current personal economics preclude any new trucks in my driveway. I shopped and bought a truck with the intention of getting an Airstream but ended up with a fifth wheel. After four fifth wheels I'm now finally giving the Airstream a try so the old Dodge is going to do what it was initially purchased to do.

Good luck with the new truck.
I had some serious "Chrysler" reservations myself...having owned a couple of their smaller Dakota models!
In the end, I'm sure that like everything made today this will be better than past generations.

By the way, enjoy that Airstream!
Thanks
Bruce
Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good choice! You'll love it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Good choice! You'll love it.
We already do. Many thanks!
Bruce
Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
who needs a truck to tow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - Too Heavy.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	258682  
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Nice looking truck, but a bit "over-kill" for a 16' unless you're going to go bigger eventually. Never been a big fan of Dodge/Chrysler products myself...and now that they're owned by FIAT. "Fix It Again Tony!"
pablocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We just went through the same exercise. Hated giving up the Range Rover HSE because of the short wheel base, AWD, air suspension, comfort...oh the comfort, but Alaska is on the agenda and we knew the RR was not up to it. We are looking forward to our maiden voyage in about a week as we now have the prerequisite 400 miles needed to hook up a tow. We probably overkilled with the new TV but anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Congratulations on your new ride!
Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruise View Post
Nice looking truck, but a bit "over-kill" for a 16' unless you're going to go bigger eventually. Never been a big fan of Dodge/Chrysler products myself...and now that they're owned by FIAT. "Fix It Again Tony!"
You should look at dodges past history....the 426 hemi, the 383, 440 even the slant 6. They were all winners, not many second places. My 07 2500 dodge with 6.7 with 100,000 miles and 6 speed auto, all towing a 31' all across the USA and Canada, it has not had any problems although I did replace the water pump and serpentine belt at 93000 miles , it took me a couple hours......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Read the last paragraph on post number one.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
You tow with a full sized Chevy for wheel drive, not overkill, also?
Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I'm going through the same decision process now myself. What axle ratio did you get in your 2500? I'm seeing large payload difference between that 3.42 and 3.73.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
I'm going through the same decision process now myself. What axle ratio did you get in your 2500? I'm seeing large payload difference between that 3.42 and 3.73.
There is only one axel ratio for Cummins equipped 2500's this year. I believe it is the 3.42.
Can't imagine it makes any difference with the weights involved in the entire range of Airstreams! This truck has gobs of power from idle on up!
Old 03-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
We bought the same RAM (minus rear air suspension) for use with our 30' Classic. We love it! You will have plenty of reserve power on hand if you ever trade up to a larger trailer. Have fun!!!

Ps. BruceB is correct - the 3.42 is the only axle ratio available with the Cummins engine
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Bruce-B, I bought my first RAM, 1500 air susp, last year. Almost exactly one year ago. Coming off three successive Ford Diesels I thought it was time for a change. What the heck, I gave Ram 5.7L 1500 a try pulling my 25FC around for the summer out West. I was blown away with the RAM, it is not the old Dodge I remember. I have 27k miles in one year and loved every mile. But, one thing was missing...800 pounds of torque and a great exhaust brake. So, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 with a Cummins and should be in a week or so.. Same color as yours. Also got the auto rear leveling option. Can't wait and enjoy your new ride.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Bruce-B, I bought my first RAM, 1500 air susp, last year. Almost exactly one year ago. Coming off three successive Ford Diesels I thought it was time for a change. What the heck, I gave Ram 5.7L 1500 a try pulling my 25FC around for the summer out West. I was blown away with the RAM, it is not the old Dodge I remember. I have 27k miles in one year and loved every mile. But, one thing was missing...800 pounds of torque and a great exhaust brake. So, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 with a Cummins and should be in a week or so.. Same color as yours. Also got the auto rear leveling option. Can't wait and enjoy your new ride.
Good! Now I'll have someone to trade notes with on that rear suspension!
It is a bit confusing as the directions for the 1500 and the 2500 are different.
I love the truck so far though and I suspect that it makes almost no difference which set of directions I follow.

Hope you can stand the wait!

Bruce
Old 03-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Great thread on Ram. We too have a 2016 Ram,Cummins, white color. This is after a 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Pulled our 25' AS wonderfully with incredible fuel mileage. But unfortunately not reliable. 10 days to replace a high pressure fuel pump at 3800 miles. Then 100 miles later more engine noises. Went with the Cummins and absolutely no issues. Just should have purchased the Cummins first.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I recently wrote a "final report" post about the tow vehicle we used for the first 4 years of towing our Airstream. That particular truck was chosen as a tow vehicle, well, because I owned it when we bought the Bambi. As with all vehicles, it was a mixture of awesome and not so awesome...just like most things in life.

We liked our truck!

So, what truck? ...

Remember, we bought this truck for us, not for you. I'm not being critical of your tow vehicle at all. If it works for you I am happy for you. I came away from his exercise with greater understanding of why people do what they do and I think it's great. Many thanks to the people who wrote here and other places of their experiences. It all helps!

Bruce

Glad you found something you liked.

For other readers trying to make similar decisions, there appear to be a few key things that make a truck a good choice.

The wheelbase on a truck is generally longer than other options. 1) I don't think I would get much argument regarding longer being better for towing.
My NM dealer spent a good bit of time on this, since I bought my trailer BEFORE I bought my tow vehicle. I wanted an SUV, but I listened to experience from many both online and off. I am VERY glad I got a truck.
2) The truck has a separate compartment, and carrying gasoline, generators or anything else that could smell unpleasant or be somewhat dangerous is better off in the back of a truck than in the trailer or the cab of a truck or SUV, Cayenne, Mercedes or whatever. 3) Sitting high was already mentioned by this OP. 4) Frame strength and towing power are generally adequate without trips to Canada. Diesel options are going to be great for big trailers in mountains. 5) Load capacity is generally higher in trucks than SUVs. 6) Larger trucks provide opportunities to upgrade to bigger trailers if you get the urge.

Probably more... but I am really glad Bruce didn't get a Toyota! The more people who get Toyotas, the higher the dealers note the demand. If demand is up, prices follow. So my recommendation is that EVERYBODY stay away from Tundras and my next one will be cheaper than it might be if there was a big 'run' on them. Thanks Bruce!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grimes , Iowa
Have you taken a look at the new Nissan Titan XD? I have been waiting for Toyota to put a diesel into the Tundra, but doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I have driven one and was quite impressed. Payload and towing capacity is exactly what I have been looking for. It is what is being described as a heavy half.
tewfiks is offline   Reply With Quote