Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
... but I am really glad Bruce didn't get a Toyota! The more people who get Toyotas, the higher the dealers note the demand. If demand is up, prices follow. So my recommendation is that EVERYBODY stay away from Tundras and my next one will be cheaper than it might be if there was a big 'run' on them. Thanks Bruce!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewfiks View Post
Have you taken a look at the new Nissan Titan XD? I have been waiting for Toyota to put a diesel into the Tundra, but doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I have driven one and was quite impressed. Payload and towing capacity is exactly what I have been looking for. It is what is being described as a heavy half.
Once upon a time I would have been far more opinionated about tow vehicles than I am today. I truly believe that almost any vehicle, properly set up and properly driven can make an excellent tow vehicle. Really!

Toyota makes some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet and that Nissan is obviously a first rate attempt to crack the stranglehold on the American truck market by the big three (ok big 4, sorry Toyota fans...)

It is the "properly set up" part that is so difficult. There is enough information out there now that any mechanically savvy person stands a chance on getting close... I've also seen obviously unsafe situations where the person towing seemed oblivious to the problem. I simply give them a lot of distance and wish them well.

One of the things I really dislike about forums is the negativity that seems to happen on some subjects and tow vehicles is one of them. I respect that people all have differing realities and needs. I'm just glad that I found the chutzpah to order such a large truck. It is awesome and we are loving it.

Hope you all enjoy yours too!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
You made a wise choice...I have had 2 Ram Cummins... current one bought a few months ago(2015)is close to 30,000 miles... previous (2014)had a bunch of miles and never had any issues.

These trucks (duellys) both worked hard pulling trailer loads of cabinets across Texas.

If you want a Cummins to last and be free from problems then use it...it likes to be worked and work is good for it. What causes issues is short drives to the store and around town. The emissions equipment on new diesels works great if used properly. Put a load on it and get it out on the highway...that's where she shines.

Again, I like your choice...you can pull anything Airstream makes and more...enjoy!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We've been towing with a 2010 1500 Ram since Aug 2014 and just upgraded ourselves as well to a 2015 2500. Nice looking truck.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought a new Ram 1500 recently. Preferred an SUV but money matters to us and they can't get close pickups in negotiated price. Pickups have their issues with ride, handling, braking, and fuel economy, we found the Ram 1500 series excellent overall having owned one the last four years.

Load carrying capacity has been no problem for us, having traveled and camped light for over 50 years. We know how to manage it. I like the feeling of balance and stability of our Airstream of our 1500 with a well setup quality weight distribution hitch. I can't emphasize the w.d. hitch setup enough, we had a bad one and the very same truck/Airstream was miserable at times.

We are impressed with the Ram 1500 and 2500 series trucks, which ever suits you. Our 2012 has provided flawless service for 50k miles. The coil or air suspension option ride very nice, the interiors are gorgeous, the styling has no awkward moments. As nice a vehicle as we have ever owned.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
There is only one axel ratio for Cummins equipped 2500's this year. I believe it is the 3.42.
Can't imagine it makes any difference with the weights involved in the entire range of Airstreams! This truck has gobs of power from idle on up!
There is also a 3.73 available. Looks like payload increases from 2300 lb to 3300 lb with lower ratio. Don't understand it, but saw it comparing trucks on Dennisdillon ram website. Been trying to figure if something else also changes. Even used their "Live chat". Trailer towing seemed the same.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
My 1500 Silverado is 15 years old with only 50k miles on it. It's 4X4 to get to my cabin that is on a very un-improved road near Brian Head Ski Resort. My girlfriend just bought her 2015 22FB Sport in September, so since I have the tow vehicle, we were "good to go"! Believe me, some of the new technology and capability of the new trucks is very appealing to me, but hey, mine is paid for. I'm happy to crank my windows and lock my doors manually...I'm not into owning a "status symbol" or having another car payment! Photo attached is of site #6 at Montana de' Oro State Park near Morro Bay, CA. (Shhhhhhh! It's our little secret!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	258739  
pablocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
There is also a 3.73 available. Looks like payload increases from 2300 lb to 3300 lb with lower ratio. Don't understand it, but saw it comparing trucks on Dennisdillon ram website. Been trying to figure if something else also changes. Even used their "Live chat". Trailer towing seemed the same.
I think what is confusing about this is that the 3.73 is available but only for the gasoline engines. If you use Ram's "Build and Price" feature on their website you will find that selecting the Diesel engine option automatically selects the 3.42 ratio rear end. I also believe that in prior years there where different ratios available.

I have found the Turbo Diesel Register site to be of great help and if you are looking at a Ram diesel, I highly recommend stopping by.

Bruce

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Bruce B: we can take this offline not to muddy up the thread but it took me a long time to figure out how to correctly setup my 1500 4 corner air suspension with a WDH. The paper manual does not include the procedure, and the procedure is important, nor can you find diddly on the Internet. Where the info resides is on Ram's web site where you can download the operator manuals. The online manual is far more extensive than the paper version and in the online manual is your answers how to. The online manual is prett straight forward for the 1500 but kind of lacking for the 2500 rear air. It does include the two seperate formulas for setting up the WDH but does seem as lacking in diecription for the 2500. What I think I have figured out is you use the exact procedure as the 1500, eg putting the air suspension in JACK mode etc, then follow the 1500 procedure but use the 2500 formula for initial setup. After the setup hooking up the 2500 should be the same as the description for the 1500. Hope that helps.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Bruce B:

Here is the link to the Ram site where you can download the expanded operators manual for your truck. It outlines the procedure(s) for initial WDH setup for air suspension on 1500 and 2500 and subsequent hitching up. It starts on page 696 (the manual is over 900 pages long). Again, there are separte formulas for initial WDH setup for air suspension on 1500 and 2500. The 1500 is fairly well explained, they lack detail on the 2500. Assumption is, and makes since to me, understand how the 1500 is setup and do the same for the 2500 but use the for formula for the 2500 for initial setup. Good luck and if you have any questions send me a message.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

It is the "properly set up" part that is so difficult. There is enough information out there now that any mechanically savvy person stands a chance on getting close... I've also seen obviously unsafe situations where the person towing seemed oblivious to the problem. I simply give them a lot of distance and wish them well.

One of the things I really dislike about forums is the negativity that seems to happen on some subjects and tow vehicles is one of them. I respect that people all have differing realities and needs. I'm just glad that I found the chutzpah to order such a large truck. It is awesome and we are loving it.

Hope you all enjoy yours too!

Bruce
Thanks for saying this. I can't agree more. I also agree with your take that there are many great TVs out there and if properly matched and set up, they will perform nicely. I really believe in the "properly" set up argument. I have a Tundra and I really like it but it would not be the correct choice for all situations. If I had something larger, if I traveled with more than just us two, if I carried a lot in the bed, then it would not be "properly" set up or even "matched". If (when) I get a larger Airstream I will have to go through the whole process that you have experienced. I appreciate your post.

Best wishes
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Bruce B:

Here is the link to the Ram site where you can download the expanded operators manual for your truck. It outlines the procedure(s) for initial WDH setup for air suspension on 1500 and 2500 and subsequent hitching up. It starts on page 696 (the manual is over 900 pages long). Again, there are separte formulas for initial WDH setup for air suspension on 1500 and 2500. The 1500 is fairly well explained, they lack detail on the 2500. Assumption is, and makes since to me, understand how the 1500 is setup and do the same for the 2500 but use the for formula for the 2500 for initial setup. Good luck and if you have any questions send me a message.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/
Ok
I've read this about 20 times over the past week.
What is bothering me is that in the setup of he 1500 there is mention of placing the suspension in the jack mode. This prevents the suspension from attempting to level as you apply load to the hitch's spring bars...

The paragraph on the 2500 has no mention of this and when I tried adjusting the bars without having the truck in the jack mode, predictably it leveled with application of pressure this throwing off all of my measurements.

I ended up using the jack mode anyway and it all set up seemingly perfectly.
Bruce
Old 03-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Ok
I've read this about 20 times over the past week.
What is bothering me is that in the setup of he 1500 there is mention of placing the suspension in the jack mode. This prevents the suspension from attempting to level as you apply load to the hitch's spring bars...

The paragraph on the 2500 has no mention of this and when I tried adjusting the bars without having the truck in the jack mode, predictably it leveled with application of pressure this throwing off all of my measurements.

I ended up using the jack mode anyway and it all set up seemingly perfectly.
Bruce
Yep, I told you the 2500 instructions were vague:-) thus use the 1500 instructions and the 2500 formula for setting up your WDH and you should be good. I know, they made this so confusing and if you had never owned a 1500 with air suspension before, you would go nuts trying to figure it out. So, everything good now?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Diesel best practices

Bruce B:

Sorry Bruce, this is a long one and may be too long as to be in a thread.

Since you are relatively new to modern diesels (EPA required EGR cooler/valves, DEF systems, SCR, DPF etc), and the manuals talk about these things, sort of, here is some advice that most long term diesel owner know, will/have experienced and learned from them. First, modern diesel technology is nothing more than a marvel and all the manufactures make incredible motors and with a couple of issues that are unique to all brands, they are rock solid. The issues started around 2007/2008 and then 2010/2011 when all the manufacturers had to comply with far beyond even the Euro emission standards for the clean air act. Modern diesels when driving through big cities pretty much clean their air up when passing through.. Trouble is the pollution devices on modern diesels are their Achilles heal. And they all have the same issues. Problem is they are all problematic, expensive and time consuming to fix. They all have a life span for them but depending on how you drive your diesel and your preventative maintenance (or lack there of) will aggressively accelerate these high cost maintenance needs (and I am not exaggerating one bit here). There are other must do best practices to be done than the ones I am listing, so hopefully you will learn from others and others here can pitch in.

1- only at last resort do you put any kind of bio-diesel in your truck. If you have to, no greater than 10%. Bio has a shelf life of only 6 months. But the biggest issue is how much it will accelerate the demise of your EGR valve and cooler. This is compounded if you live in cold weather and/or do a lot of just short errand driving. Can't stress this enough. In extreme cold it can actually cause clogging of your fuel filters. I live in Michigan and can attest to this learned issue, over and over again.

2- Diesels require three things to run properly. They are not like gas engines where you can push these limits, diesels, just don't go there. They want lots of clean air, clean oil and absolutely super filtered clean fuel and water blows your motor up.

3- Oil changes: don't go a mile further than manufacture specs., period. Also, and I believe the Ram manual covers this one' full synthetic oils will NOT allow you to extend oil change intervals, as you can do in a gas engine. Reason is, gas and diesel oils push pass the rings into the engine oil pan and thus mix with the engine oil after time. Gas evaporates easily and eventually escapes the engine oil. Diesel oil does not evaporate and it stays mixed with the engine oil. Thus, overtime enough diesel oil mixes with the engine oil and your lubrication of critical engine parts become compromised (excessive engine wear). Air filter changes: self explanatory, but again more critical than gas engines. Fuel Filters: an absolute must to change per specs and don't cheap out on after market bargain stuff. Must be at least 3 microns and dual purpose for water separation. If you don't manage this item well, the injectors on these motors with replacement cost is about the same as a gas engine total rebuild. If you don't do your own fuel filters (two of them ) make sure you take to car wash and spray them clean before taking for service. If a piece of sand or glob of dirt falls into the open filter chamber, guaranteed injector destruction. About $800-1,000 a piece with labor.

4- after pulling your trailer, especially in hot weather and big hills, let your engine do a cool down for a couple of minutes before shutting off. It's not the engine you are really trying to cool down, it's the turbo. The turbo can literally get red hot in these conditions. The bearings in the turbo are cooled by engine oil. Let the engine oil run through it a couple of minutes to cool the bearing down. If not, you can significantly reduce the life of the turbo or ruin it. If you think an injector cost a lot, a diesel turbo cost like a new gas engine.

5- excessive engine idle. In the old days when the truckers use to sleep all night while they left their diesels running all night. Notice they don't do that anymore? Nor should you. You should not allow, especially a cold/cool engine, for more than 10 minutes, 15 minutes max. And this interval should be minimized as much as possible. It is not really an engine issue, doing this in cold weather causes moisture build up in engine oil, but the real issue is it severally clogs your EGR valve and cooler. Also using your diesel for just running frequent short errands, not allowing the engine to fully warm up, has the same effect. This is, in my opinion, the number one pain in the rear with modern diesels. They eventually clog, expensive, but accelerating it can be very harmful to your motor. A clogged EGR cooler can fail and thus permitting engine coolant to enter into your engine, in some instances. Kaboom, been there on this one on a 6.0 Powerstroke. Moral of the story, your new truck is not good as a grocery store picker upper. It wants to run hot, for long times and pull pull pull. The reason these commercial guys pulling RV deliveries get a zillion miles with out any issues, they are hauling heavy loads and never cooling down. A gas engine killer a Diesel engines glory.

6- DEF, urine with out smell:-) DEF, though it's easy and little hassle to keep operational it can still be a pain, especially when the pump fails or crystals form in your DEF tank messing up your tank sensors. An invention between the collaboration of Mercedes, VW and Audi (BluTech) is one of the emission requirements I believe is an effective pollution solution. But, it can be problematic and here is a couple of tips. DEF freezes at 23F, so in winter never over fill / top off your DEF tank, it could rupture. It needs room for freeze expansion. If you ever spill DEF on your paint, get it off with water to protect surface. If you spill on the ground, after you come back after it dries, you will notice it crystallizes a lot. This also can occur in your DEF tank if you run your DEF too low for long periods of time. The crystals can mess up your tank fluid level mechanism and other sensors. So, when the tank gets just below half full, fill it back up.

7- when your Ram tells you your Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is nearing clogged and says hit the highway for 45 minutes to burn it out, do it. Not doing so can get you into a non reversible situation. These things cost many 1,000s of bucks. Plus, not doing so the truck will go into limp mode, not a good situation and all preventable. Just do what it says. If you drive high ways all the time, you may never see this warning.

8- idiot lights: Oh, how I have ignored idiot lights on gas engines. When you get idiot lights of exhaust issues, fuel or water. Stop, get out your manual and lookup the issue. Some of these can be very critical money issues if you ignore.

So, way too much I am sure but going on my 4th diesel I have learned a lot from worse case disasters, many preventable. Take care of her and she will reciprocate.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
That is why they make more than one brand. I am a little unsure, but I believe you might have just enough to pull that 16 footer.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I only drive my 2015 Ram CTD once a week to work. Work is about 15 miles one way with the majority of the route on the highway at 60mph. Once the season starts I tow to a local campground within 60 miles at least one weekend per month. I'm planning a long trip to Montana in August. I only have 2100 miles since purchasing last August. So far I have only used #2 diesel. I keep the tank at least 1/2 full. The DEF gauge only shows about 1/3 used.

I suspect I will be forced to use biodiesel traveling to Montana via Nebraska and Wyoming.

What is the best maintenance? Change the oil every 6 months and change the fuel filters every other oil change?

Kelvin
Old 03-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
JRRitcie:

The newer Ram Cummins have 15,000 mile oil change and fuel filter(s) intervals, under normal conditions. I believe they recommend 12,000 miles if hauling heavy a lot and/or lots of dust. There are oil and filter reset modes on the Rams and it will notify you when you are coming up on them.. They take into account these conditions some how but note NEVER to exceed the 15K max.. Remember to reset the oil and fuel filters back to 100% after you change them. Some Ram models the EVICs between the tach and speedo you can customize the digital instruments and display gauges for the life of your fuel filters and oil.

If your truck has sat for that length of time, 6 months, especially through winter I would have the oil changes before heading out. Guarantee some water condensation has accumulated in your oil pan.

Being forced to use bio while towing is far far less of an issue than winter/cold start stops. A little here and there under your conditions not an issue.

My Powerstroke 6.7 was bio-20 approved. I am pretty darn sure Cummins in the non commercial trucks (2500-3500) are not B20 approved and Ram warns against it. Only their commercial trucks are setup to take B20. Just because Ford says they are B20 and Ram B10, does not mean you should make any kind of habit doing it. Only when you don't have an option. Also semi truck stops. No bio going into those puppies.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Why a truck at all, is a better question.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Just curious... Did you read my original post? Your question's answer is there
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Why get married, why have kids? Because you love them :-) it does not have to make since. But I will tell you, when driving the majority of your Spring-Summer on two lane roads throughout Montana, Idaho, Wyoming pulling a very loaded pickup bed and Airstream....and you want to relax and feel confident you can take on anything, try a modern 3/4 ton diesel. Once you have oil in your blood you can't live without it :-)

Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Hey Slow.

Your profile says you haul that vintage kin of yours with a 3/4 ton pickup. Did you change out and if so - to what and why?

I thought Bruce provided a pretty thorough explanation up front.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote