Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Welcome! We bought a 2016 27 FB International Signature in March and a GMC 2500 diesel Denali. We towed through the mountains of Colorado effortlessly and got 14.5 mpg! The ride is very comfortable and I step on the running board and grab the handle by the windshield to get in. My husband and I love the truck! We got the bed cover that retracts into a box and locks by the tailgate to keep our cargo safe. Driving without towing we get 17-19 mpg in town. We have had six Yukon Denali's and have had no maintenance issues, so we felt confident going with the Sierra. The Yukon was close to the max on towing capacity and we do not regret our decision to get the 3/4 ton at all. We are very happy with both the Airstream and the truck!
MHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I am going to post my opinion; however, I am not out to start a war either.

Something that was obvious is how the Ford 1/2 ton was as capable as most 3/4 tons in towing and payload when properly equipped.
I'm not sure I would say 2,000+ lbs is close to being the same as a ¾ ton. But that said, I'm also curious about what sort of mileage you get towing with it. One of the major complaints that I've seen from both owners and reviewers was how with the Ecoboost you got either Eco or boost and most were very disappointed in the MPG especially towing. I think this is where a ¾ diesel really shines, it can not only pull, but deliver in the MPG department.

I'm kind of waiting to see how many other companies jump into the ½ ton diesel market. The Nissan doesn't count, it's really a ¾ ton. But both Ford and GM have been eyeing the sales of the RAM and I read that Ford was going to jump into the ½ ton market, and GM went and put a diesel into the Canyon/Colorado so I would think they might be looking at the ½ ton market as well.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I agree with posters who recommend that you get 4 wheel drive. Why?

Even if you never will be driving this truck in snowy or slick weather, here's why.

If you are on a secondary road that is a gravel road (campground entrance), or even a road that has been sanded due to bad weather and still has some residual sand, and you need to pull out to enter a primary road you will want to be in 4wd so that you can get up to speed in a safe time frame.

Without having and using 4WD in this situation, you run the risk of not having enough traction when you begin to go, and it can take you so long to get going that you now are in trouble pulling into traffic.

This was something Ray E. mentioned and I didn't really know about, but have found to be true.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Don't eliminate the one-ton from any of the big 3. As others have posted, generally the only difference is the extra leaf spring which doesn't come into play until the payload calls for it so the ride is the same as the 3/4-ton IMO. It is nice to have the extra headroom of payload. Congratulations, welcome to the forum and happy, safe travels!
Just curious, does the one-ton have the same tires and shocks as the 3/4 ton?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Tires may be different. On older Dodges the one tons had higher rated tires because of the additional payload. Don't know about the newer ones.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I'm also curious about what sort of mileage you get towing with it. One of the major complaints that I've seen from both owners and reviewers was how with the Ecoboost you got either Eco or boost and most were very disappointed in the MPG especially towing. I think this is where a ¾ diesel really shines, it can not only pull, but deliver in the MPG department.
The economics of gas vs diesel has been well debated elsewhere. The concensus seems to be that the higher up front cost of the diesel engine is not outweighed by superior mileage over gas for many tens of thousands of miles of towing. Possibly til trade in time. However those that drive a couple hundred thousand miles in a few years probably come out ahead.

Diesels do have more towing power, but I'd suppose a turbo charged 6.7 liter gas engine, if offered, wouldn't be a slouch.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Pretty sure if we bought a 1-ton, all our city friends would laugh us out of town!

Sooooo, we test drove the Sierra 2500 4WD in both fuel flavors.

First: Diesel. As I drove it, I was thinking, "Well... I guess it IS still a GIANT TRUCK. What was I expecting? This is... fine." Neither of us liked the way it handled but agreed, we can do it.

It reminded me of riding a horse: You have no direct control of direction and speed, but you give the command and hope your partner follows it. (And it will, eventually.) The force required for braking was also hard on my hip.

Gas: SO MUCH BETTER. Everything felt more immediate, smoother ride and quieter too. Braking was easier. It felt like a giant car.

The door sticker stats for that exact vehicle:

Payload: 2562 lb
GVWR: 9500 lb
GAWR Front: 4800 lb
GAWR Rear: 6200 lb

The stickers didn't report tow capacity.

The brochure tow capacity of that model/engine/cab is 13,000 lb, axle ratio of 4.1.

Airstream FC 30 -
GVW: 8880 lb
Official tongue weight: 880 lb (plus extra?)

Payload of 2560 lb minus ~1100 tongue weight = 1460 lb for passengers and cargo.

All those numbers look good, right?
ahoyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Everyone's taste is different, but when I drove the Chevy 3/4 ton with the gas engine, it felt underpowered--even when empty and not pulling anything. Remember that the lower torque of the gas engine will require it to spin at much higher rpm to pull the load, which equals more noise. If gas and 3/4 ton is your preference, then I suggest either the F250 6.2 or the Ram 6.4. Neither of these felt underpowered in my test drive (and both are more powerful and have higher torque than the Chevy 6.0). Or, you could do what I did and get a Chevy or GMC 1500 with the 420 hp direct injection 6.2 and max trailer tow package. Your payload will be 1940 lbs.-a little less. However, based on my 30,000 mile experience, you will get fuel economy the same as 3/4 ton diesel and much better than 3/4 ton gas (less vehicle weight by 1,000 to 1,500 lbs.). The Chevy/GMC 6.2 also comes with the 8-speed tranny-a real plus.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Just curious, does the one-ton have the same tires and shocks as the 3/4 ton?
Good question. Mine was on the lot with 20" cast aluminum wheels and Michlin tires plus 3:55 gears to match the wheels. It also came with the off road skid plates, severe service front suspension and upgraded shocks, but all these were options so I guess the answer is no different than ordering the F250 with the same opinions.