Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
The new 4.5 diesel from GM for the half ton with an appoximate 310hp and 530lbs or torque is strange looking with NO exaust manifold. It is going to take some gettin used to. I do believe we are going to see lagitamate 25 mpg half ton trucks real soon. I HOPE.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It is interesting to see that GM has sold off it's 4 series and larger production to Navistar. Who'd of ever thought back in the sixties that International would end up making GM product.

As the world evolves I suspect we will see a lot of variation in what we can expect from the manufacturers. It should be an interesting ride.

Barry
You also might see ALL Dodge Ram trucks being renamed and producted by STERLING in the not too distant future. Sterling already bulds the 4500 and 5500 with the cummins.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well, to get 310hp and 530hp out of a 4.5L, they must be boosting the heck out of that thing. If I look at the displacements of the new Cummins and the new Duramax's, and ratio it out, then apply those ratios to the 4.5, I get more like 235hp with 430 ft-lbs. But, what the hay. A Cummins 5.9 can make 700hp and 1400 ft-lbs pretty easily. I know a guy who did it. I don't know about the longevity, but the power per Litre of the new GM isn't that high. So maybe the General did do it.

As for Ford, the new diesel they had was totally messed up for the first year or so, and the Triton series of engines were garbage up until 2003. I know, I had one blow up and then the blue oval wouldn't fix it. (See other posts on spark plugs blowing out of heads).

MOPAR for me.

As to the price of diesel in the future...sounds like we're all pretty much hosed. Could be just like Europe, the end of the middle class, where gas costs $8 per gallon and if you can afford a $140K Benz S class or BMW 7 series with the V12, then you don't worry about it. The common guy driving the VW....might as well sell it and get a bicycle.

Well, guess I'll park the trailer out by the river and just ride my bike to it on the weekends

I joke, because it depresses me to be serious....

I hope I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I think I am done on this subject. Gas went down 14 cents last week...lol
Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

As to the price of diesel in the future...sounds like we're all pretty much hosed. Could be just like Europe, the end of the middle class, where gas costs $8 per gallon and if you can afford a $140K Benz S class or BMW 7 series with the V12, then you don't worry about it. The common guy driving the VW....might as well sell it and get a bicycle.

Well, guess I'll park the trailer out by the river and just ride my bike to it on the weekends

I joke, because it depresses me to be serious....

I hope I'm wrong!

Cheers,[/quote]

Hi, Jim Golden. Maybe if fuel costs get too high we may have to pull our trailers with a bicycle like that French guy in the post card. [I think he was French?] On the other hand, I can't imagine what fuel will cost when you reach my age.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I think the snow on the ground has got us grumpy. WELL those of us who have a bad back get even more gumpy.

The difference with the US and Europe is things are much closer together over there. Bicycles are everywhere cause everwhere is closer to home. Their trips are a few dozen or hundred miles...WE have to go to Alaska...er Main er Forida....thats a long way at 8 bucks a gallon.

I just don't want my truck to be as complicated as the Space shuttle.....OMG..too late.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Well, to get 310hp and 530hp out of a 4.5L, they must be boosting the heck out of that thing. If I look at the displacements of the new Cummins and the new Duramax's, and ratio it out, then apply those ratios to the 4.5, I get more like 235hp with 430 ft-lbs. But, what the hay. A Cummins 5.9 can make 700hp and 1400 ft-lbs pretty easily. I know a guy who did it. I don't know about the longevity, but the power per Litre of the new GM isn't that high. So maybe the General did do it.
The 300 to 310 HP and 520 to 530 pound/feet of torque are the most frequently mentioned numbers with the new light duty diesel. The other notable figure is that GM is shooting for 30 mpg highway from this engine in a light duty truck.

I agree with one of quotes here, the snow has got some of you in a real funk.

Smile, it is Christmas Eve! Find the reason for the season and let joy back into your hearts!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I think E85 is the fuel of the future. There is a lot of misinformation about ethanol. It does NOT take more energy to produce then you net. Those that believe so have not seen a modern producing ethanol plant.

I love my diesel and would like to see biodiesel more commonplace.

I would also like to see more duel fuel vehicles like a propane/ethanol setup.
Propane is another alternative fuel that produces less emissions, that we need to give more attention.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Happy Now

Hey guys,

Sorry if I seemed like a Gloomy Gus there the other night. Just got me down thinking that I couldn't afford to go camping after waiting for soooooo long to get into it. I'm all better now

We'll find a way. We always do.

On the topic of E85...Hot Rod magazine mentioned that it's actually like 105 octane. That is GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, we can run our 12.5:1 compression engines again. Yeeha! We ain't seen it so good since the Amoco Super Premium (Dad told me about it...I'm too young to remember it...)

As for Europe, well I've got a buddy in France who just bought himself a 31 foot Airstream and he's tickled pink. So if he can manage to pull that monster around over there, now, then I'm sure we can manage over here stateside.

Merry Christmas to all, and may Santa bring you happy Silver Toys!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Some informed folks say E85 is only still being produced to reap the huge government subsidies being paid out. The data suggests it requires more energy to produce than is reclaimed, when the entire production chain (planting, cultivating, harvesting, effect on food supply, etc.) is considered. I also believe the cost of diesel engines will come down when they become more main stream

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote