Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
Gmc Denali debacle

Went to a GMC dealer in Tacoma for oil, tire and rotate. They courtesy added 3 gallons of GM DEF, truck miles was 11000.

Now at 14000 miles, DEF system warned speed limit, went to dealer in Denver, GMC. Long story short.

$2235 to replace contaminated DEF system.

Last person to touch the DEF tank and service it was dealer in Tacoma.

Not warrantable item. And in case you wonder I didn't add diesel fuel to my aDEF tank in a. brand new Denali 2500HD! OMG I was sick.
kapt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thread Title Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapt59 View Post
Went to a GMC dealer in Tacoma for oil, tire and rotate. They courtesy added 3 gallons of GM DEF, truck miles was 11000.

Now at 14000 miles, DEF system warned speed limit, went to dealer in Denver, GMC. Long story short.

$2235 to replace contaminated DEF system.

Last person to touch the DEF tank and service it was dealer in Tacoma.

Not warrantable item. And in case you wonder I didn't add diesel fuel to my aDEF tank in a. brand new Denali 2500HD! OMG I was sick.
I am sorry for your experience, but your thread title is very misleading. There is/was NO PROBLEM with your GMC Denali. You had a bad experience with a DEALER that is an independent business and not part of GMC. You should take this issue up with the dealer that filled the DEF.

Knowing that the DEF fill on your GMC is under a locking hood (rather than in an easily accessible fuel door on other brands/models) means that no one could have tampered with your truck by adding a contaminant to the DEF tank unless you ever left the truck unattended with the hood unlatched. This is not true of some other brands. I believe this is actually a benefit on the GMC (& Chevy) HDs - one has to unlock the door to unlatch the hood to fill the DEF. If you have never left your hood open with the truck unattended, the source of your problem is likely the dealer that filled the DEF, even if the contamination was an accident (e.g. a newby putting washer fluid in the wrong filler neck).

Again, sorry for your issue.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Accidents happen. Contact the dealer to make sure they know, see what they say before doing anything. They need to know, they may have an inexperienced or careless employee. This may not be the first time this happened at that dealer, and they need to have a record to figure out who fd up.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
I guess that I do not fully understand what happened. The DEF system was fine at 11,000 miles but was contaminated at 14,000 miles? How did it function for those 3,000 miles?

I have a 2015 GMC Duramax myself. On a trip last summer the DEF system malfunction warning light came on and I was speed limited by the time I reached the next GMC dealer. As it turns out, it was a software issue for which there was a TSB. The repair was no charge under warranty.

My question now is whether the Denver dealer misdiagnosed the problem and made it your liability?

I am truly sorry you had to go through this. Being on the road and developing tv problems where you are forced to seek out the nearest dealer is aweful. Best wishes going forward.
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post
I guess that I do not fully understand what happened. The DEF system was fine at 11,000 miles but was contaminated at 14,000 miles? How did it function for those 3,000 miles?

I have a 2015 GMC Duramax myself. On a trip last summer the DEF system malfunction warning light came on and I was speed limited by the time I reached the next GMC dealer. As it turns out, it was a software issue for which there was a TSB. The repair was no charge under warranty.

My question now is whether the Denver dealer misdiagnosed the problem and made it your liability?

I am truly sorry you had to go through this. Being on the road and developing tv problems where you are forced to seek out the nearest dealer is aweful. Best wishes going forward.

Pm coming.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
On my '13 Silverado 2500, the DEF tank heater was defective, throwing warning lights and threatening speed restriction. It was replaced under warranty. Sounds like your issue may be more with a mishap at the dealer who gave you the complementary DEF top off so you should definitely talk with them - but I'm sharing this just in case you have the same issue...good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It's very unlikely the dealer providing the "complimentary DEF" caused this problem. The truck drove for three-THOUSAND miles just fine... so the contamination did not occur 3K miles previously. This sounds like a system or software/sensor problem.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What was the contamination?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
What was the contamination?
That depend upon what year it is. OP doesn't say.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax that I have owned from new. It now has 110,000 miles on it.

I have experienced the "Poor Quality DEF" warning on five occasions over the past five years. Each time we were traveling with the Airstream and went to GM dealers in different parts of the country. These dealers were in California, Utah, Florida, Ohio, and Maine.

As it turned out, none of these warnings were caused by bad DEF. On two of these occasions, the dealer was able to shoot a new code to the truck's system (per GM service bulletins). On one occasion, the dealer replaced NOX sensor #1. On another occasion, the dealer replaced NOX sensor #2. On the most recent occasion (July, 2016), the dealer replaced the DEF pump module.

None of this had anything to do with DEF quality. It was all caused by malfunctioning electronic hardware and software. The first four DEF incidents were covered under the GM 100,000 miles extended diesel warranty. The most recent service, where the DEF pump was replaced, was on my dime as the truck had passed the 100,000 mile mark by then.

This DEF thing has been a giant pain since I have owned this truck, and this is the only problem that I have had with it since new. I started researching DEF problems several years ago. I have read numerous articles on the issue. The consensus of opinion seems to be that the Federal Government forced the manufacturers into this before the technology to monitor the DEF system was ready. Accordingly, DEF problems are not rare on these trucks. Thinking that maybe another brand was better, I have done extensive reading on forums for Ford and Ram diesel trucks. It seems to be the same story industry wide.

Unfortunately, my load situation requires a diesel tow vehicle. A gasoline engine vehicle couldn't handle the load I am carrying. If it could, I think that I would have gone back to a gasoline tow vehicle several years ago.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Unfortunately, my load situation requires a diesel tow vehicle. A gasoline engine vehicle couldn't handle the load I am carrying. If it could, I think that I would have gone back to a gasoline tow vehicle several years ago.

Brian
I can guarentee you that you're not the only one with these sentiments. I have been cautioning potential buyers of diesels that any perceived savings on fuel economy will be eaten up in higher maintenance cost and long term durability issues.

Sad to say but gone are the days of the 500,000 mile Dodge diesel that rotted out before the engine gave out. Now days you'll want to trade that diesel in before the warranty is up, as EGR, sensors and extra gimmicks are going to sap your technicians ability to diagnose problems properly and cost you a bundle.

The other big issue as new better systems, mid year changes and fixes are rolled out, previous parts may become obsolete and NLA to fix your diesel, especially if the old system is found out to not meet government standards; you maybe on the hook to replace an entire system.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm a first time diesel owner. If this happens to me in the first 5 years of ownership my Ram is gone and I'll go back to a gas tow vehicle. 1st year is used up.

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'm a first time diesel owner. If this happens to me in the first 5 years of ownership my Ram is gone and I'll go back to a gas tow vehicle. 1st year is used up.

Kelvin
I don't blame you. I would have retreated to a gasoline tow vehicle if I could have. If they don't get this DEF stuff straightened out, I don't know what I am going to do in the future.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Sounds like something you can claim under comprehensive in your insurance policy. My 2015 RAM ecodiesel had a engine failure that was attributed to contaminated fuel, like you I did not put gasoline in. Under warranty not covered, my insurance company paid the bill less deductible under the comprehensive part of my policy. I later learned that even if it was my fault it would have still been covered.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Sounds like something you can claim under comprehensive in your insurance policy. My 2015 RAM ecodiesel had a engine failure that was attributed to contaminated fuel, like you I did not put gasoline in. Under warranty not covered, my insurance company paid the bill less deductible under the comprehensive part of my policy. I later learned that even if it was my fault it would have still been covered.
Hope you didn't get a "hit" on your insurance... If so, there may be things you might do...

Good luck.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That depend upon what year it is. OP doesn't say.

I realize that. That is why I asked.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote