Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
GM instrument panel issue

A few weeks ago, I got a letter in the mail from GM stating:

"that my 2004 Suburban could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter or become inoperative, this may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge."

The go on further to say unless I've seen an issue as described don't take the truck in and they will extend the warranty on the gauge cluster for 7 years from the date of delivery or 70k, whichever comes first.

If work is needed, they say it has to be done by a GM dealer.

FYI.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx. I have an '04 Suburban.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
got that letter too, not sure I like the idea because my truck (2003) must have a switch that comes on after 36000 saying "break please" to all the expensive hard to get to parts.....

I wish they'd simply replace them, that gauge cluster can't be cheap over the counter after 70k or 7 years
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Ok, devils advocate. You get a speeding ticket. You claim your speedometer was wrong or stuck. You have a document from GM claiming issues. Any legal eagles wanting to weigh in? Who pays your increased insurance, points etc??
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
got that letter too, not sure I like the idea because my truck (2003) must have a switch that comes on after 36000 saying "break please" to all the expensive hard to get to parts.....

I wish they'd simply replace them, that gauge cluster can't be cheap over the counter after 70k or 7 years
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with one of those hidden switches in the truck .

Barry
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with one of those hidden switches in the truck .

Barry
It's no longer a switch. Starting in 1996, all manufacturers changed to a software-based failure program...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with ya on that. I took mine in after I got it because there are some slight sounds coming out of the cluster, and the dealer says they all make some slight noise. Anyone else have slight noise coming out of the cluster?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm with ya on that. I took mine in after I got it because there are some slight sounds coming out of the cluster, and the dealer says they all make some slight noise. Anyone else have slight noise coming out of the cluster?
We have an '04 Sub, an '04 Tahoe, and an '05 Yuk XL, and none of them makes such a noise.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
I to have a 2004 Suburban and received the letter before Christmas and took it in to the dealer cause it seemed that the fuel guage was not accurate. The dealer could not find any problems and said to monitor it. So far there are no problems with the fuel guage again but now the DIC shows " Check Oil Level " and the oil level is fine. So I have not yet taken it back to have that checked yet. I am not as much worried about that one since I can check the oil level myself. Has anyone else had that happen ?
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I to have a 2004 Suburban and received the letter before Christmas and took it in to the dealer cause it seemed that the fuel guage was not accurate. The dealer could not find any problems and said to monitor it. So far there are no problems with the fuel guage again but now the DIC shows " Check Oil Level " and the oil level is fine. So I have not yet taken it back to have that checked yet. I am not as much worried about that one since I can check the oil level myself. Has anyone else had that happen ?
The problem is if you don't get it fixed and then go to sell or trade it and that light keeps coming on you have to go through the whole explanation thing and they may just not quite believe you. With that coming on and the earlier gas gauge concern if this were me I'd be going back and asking them to go ahead and make the fix. It is showing signs of more than one problem.

Barry
Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
The problem is if you don't get it fixed and then go to sell or trade it and that light keeps coming on you have to go through the whole explanation thing and they may just not quite believe you. With that coming on and the earlier gas gauge concern if this were me I'd be going back and asking them to go ahead and make the fix. It is showing signs of more than one problem.

Barry
Hi, Another reason I haven`t taken it back yet is that I have a 10 week old baby and Mama really needs her Suburban to travel with.It is a convenience thing and also the dealer we use is an hour away that is the reason I had it checked before the baby was born. But I will get it in when time permits unless something more urgent comes up. I don`t want to give the impression that I neglect my vehicles when I am actually a picky person about who works on them and I usually do most work myself except for the dealer items .
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
2003/2004 GM IP Cluster Special Policy Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
A few weeks ago, I got a letter in the mail from GM stating:

"that my 2004 Suburban could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter or become inoperative, this may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge."

The go on further to say unless I've seen an issue as described don't take the truck in and they will extend the warranty on the gauge cluster for 7 years from the date of delivery or 70k, whichever comes first.

If work is needed, they say it has to be done by a GM dealer.

FYI.....
I have attached the GM Special Policy Coverage for your review. It has application for 2003 & 2004 GM trucks & SUV's. With the last 8 of your VIN #, you can check the VIN break points in the attachment. If your VIN falls within the break points, call your dealer for an appointment to get your IP cluster replaced (under warranty), even if you haven't experience the problem yet.
Good luck,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07187A_Splc_Coverage_Adjust_IP_Cluster.pdf (194.5 KB, 4560 views)
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
yep ours lands in those serial ranges, think I'll give them a call next week, thanks!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
It could well be the sensor in the pan. If you are mechanically inclined, you can see if unplugging the sensor causes a change.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So what I am hearing you all say is that your clusters are totally silent, they make not a single sound at any time right? If not, then I am going to call them in the next few weeks when time permits.

Dealer told me that they all make a very slight bit of noise that can't be heard one the engine is started.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
I have an '04 Avalanche and I got the notice, too. I took the truck in to have some other work on it and asked the service manager about it. He said if it isn't showing signs at the present time, it will eventually. In that case I told him the speedometer was shaky. He took all the numbers off the truck and said he had to order the cluster and it would take about a week. The new unit had to be custom set to the numbers on the truck. Most of that is computer work. Anyway, after the new cluster came in, it only took about half an hour for them to install. I can't tell any difference between the new and the old. The best part was that there was no charge. I guess what I am trying to say is: it will take two trips to get the job done. One to download the information and one to install.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The dealer may want to keep your truck after they've recorded the info. This is for Federal odometer tampering laws, if you continue driving the truck after they've recorded the mileage, the odometer will no longer be accurate. It may only be a dozen miles off, if you only drive to the dealer and back, but what if you choose that week to go to California?
Whenever a vehicle comes in to our shop for speedoemter replacement, the vehicle is pulled out of the shop to a parking space, the mileage is recorded, the vehicle is locked, and the keys are put in either a lock box (for vehicles still under warratny) or locked in the tech's toolbox untill the new speedometer arrives.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I had the unit replaced in my 04 Silverado. I never did get the letter, I had to do the research online once the problem of a sticking speedometer started. It did not appear to affect the odometer at all. The repair took two trips to the dealer. The first one to check it out, get the details and order the part. It took about a half hour. The repair happened a week later and took about 90 minutes. Works great now.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
The dealer who sold our 04 Silverado to us last January told us, prior to the
sale, that the instrument cluster would need switching out for a new one.
Within a few weeks of ownership, the speedometer began malfunctioning, often sticking at 60 mph in the off position.
They replaced the cluster at no charge, even though we are the second owners of the truck (it was a gm certified vehicle with only 18k on it at purchase).
No problems since!
marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Read the service bulletin carefully! If you simply go to the dealer and request replacement of the instrument cluster - as a precautionary matter - it may not happen. On the other hand, if you report - true or not - that the panel was acting up (i.e. - speedometer sticking) they will replace the cluster even if the Tech 2 gauge sweep does not show a problem. This sounds to me like GM is hoping you'll go past the 7 year or 70,000 mile mark before you have a problem. I would think that GM needs to step up to the plate again - like they did with the injectors on the diesels - and stop the nonsense generated by a group of cost accountants.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote